It may be the simplest form of stress relief...

Discussion in 'Stress Management' started by xtiffan, Jan 4, 2016.

1. xtiffan

xtiffan New Member

It may seem simple, but taking a few deep breaths, and taking them the right way, can decrease your stress considerably. In both therapy and in my speech class, I learned about diaphragmatic breathing. People who are taking music lessons may have learned about it as well, as it teaches you how to gain more breath to be able to speak as well as sing without having to take as many breaks to take your next breath. It also can calm down anxiety and stress when you allow the right amount of oxygen into your body.

What you need to do is to take a deep, slow breath through your nose, slowly counting to ten as you breath as much air as you can in. You can place your hands on both your chest and belly to see how it feels as you do this. Next, count to ten as you slowly exhale through your lips. This should automatically make you feel more relaxed and train you how to breath correctly. The following link provides more information on diaphragmatic breathing: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/heal...ion_Is_it_for_You/hic_Diaphragmatic_Breathing

I hope this helps!