Just getting started, general outlines!?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by JTMx29, Feb 20, 2008.

1. JTMx29

JTMx29 New Member

So basically I wanna outline what I think about affiliate/bum marketing. I am planning to get into this business soon.
    -Find a niche that you are interested in making money. Say something like a video game system (xbox,ps3 etc.).
    -Then search for an affiliate sponsorship/ someone who will pay you to direct links their way.
    -Build a blog/website and use skills to get targeted traffic
    -Get paid in the end based on your skills and sites rankability.

That's just the guidlines I seem to have understood.
    now for the questions;

Say I join clickbank, I find an affiliate offer I like. I then build a blog about it, get it ranked up, add their links etc. Is that the basic concept?

Also what happens once you start making SOME money and want to branch off? you just take another offer and do the same?

2. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Having a blog/website is one way to get traffic, there are other ways also
  3. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Welcome to the forum. The first thing you do is get a good online marketing education. Identify the main components. Then learn about each component. Then plan. Then execute. Tweak and maintain. Learning takes a few hours a day for several months. Play long term or don't play.

~Newbie Shield~
  4. JTMx29

JTMx29 New Member

Yeah for the last month I have been researching. I'm an avid internet user and understand a lot of the key concepts and strategies just from knowing about how things work etc.

* another question is say if I go the affiliate marketing, do I need to make a blog for each niche I choose to broaden my money making horizons? I understand that some have sites of 10 or more pages etc.
    *also for bloggers to start marketing the best idea is to write articles/reviews on items etc. that coincide with your niche right?

5. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Taylor,

You seem to have a general idea of the concept behind affiliate marketing. There are different ways to make that happen. As you suspect, if you build a site or blog, you definitely need it to rank well so that you will get lots of free targeted traffic. That's not as easy as it sounds. My husband always says, "It sounds easy when you say it fast." [​IMG]

You can make blogs or sites for each niche which is the most effective option as opposed to trying to build one site covering a whole range of topics.

Other things you can do besides building sites is post articles and reviews, etc., which I guess some folks do with good success.

I went with the site building side of things. To be honest, I've got three niche sites going, and that is more than enough for me to try to keep on top of at the moment.

In order to rank really well and get the free traffic, you definitely need more than a ten page site. My first site Chocolate Candy Mall has well over 200 pages and I get between 350-850 visitors a day (depending on how close it is to a holiday). [​IMG]

My newest site All About Parasites is only a month old and has about 50 pages so far. I've been getting a little over 20 visitors a day so far, but that will grow as the site grows.

You need to decide which types of methods you can commit to doing whether it is building and maintaining a site or writing lots of separate articles and submitting them to different article directories, or a combination of both or something else entirely.

When you know what needs to be done (as NS indicated) it is a lot easier to get in there and do the work.

Also, don't underestimate the importance of your keyword research. I've seen some really nice sites in my niches that have lots of great content, but don't rank nearly as well as mine, I assume because they don't have the pages optimized for the proper keywords, etc.

I'll pm you some info that is worth reading that may help you and answer some of your questions. Just check your messages. [​IMG]

All the best.
  6. StacyMomBiz

StacyMomBiz New Member

I've also been considering getting into the affiliate marketing biz. I just don't know if I wanna do a blog, ppc, etc.

Has anyone heard of or belong to mygooglejob.com? I've seen the site in several places and they say they offer much more than "google ppc" I like the website and it sounds good, I just want to know that it's good before joining.
  7. dmitch31

dmitch31 New Member

Quoting: JTMx29Say I join clickbank, I find an affiliate offer I like. I then build a blog about it, get it ranked up, add their links etc. Is that the basic concept?

JTM, if someone could sum up the "basic concept" in just a few sentences then someone would have already done it by now. I would say that there is no "basic concept", but rather there are a string of concepts that you have to get a grasp on before you will be successful.

If you want a simple approach with bum marketing, then I would say create a blog that promotes a product. In each blog post create a link that goes to the product you are looking to sell. Then, promote your blog by writing free articles and submitting them to ezinearticles.com. In the bio box, put a link to your blog. I wouldn't worry about trying to get it ranked really high in the beginning, because that just takes a long time. Instead, get traffic to your blog by submitting to ezinearticles.com, go to digg and propeller and submit each of your blog posts and articles that are published at ezinearticles, and also you can join del.icio.us and stumbleupon and bookmark and stumble each of your blog posts and articles there.

That's about as "basic" as I can make it. so BASICally, write a blog that promotes a product, in your blog posts create links that go to the page where someone can buy your product, and then promote the heck out of your blog. Also submit your blog to blogcatalog. I get a lot of traffic from that.

Now, I can't even let this go without mentioning Wealthy Affiliate. Have you considered Wealthy Affiliate? If you want to learn how to do this stuff and do it right, then Wealthy Affiliate has about the most comprehensive set of resources available. In my opinion it's the place to be. I'm a Wealthy Affiliate member and I have decided that I will be a member there for life. As a matter of fact, I need to write a blog post to that effect!

Good luck with your efforts. The main thing is that you really have to just dive in and get started.