Keep it simple

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by gregriv69, Dec 1, 2006.

1. gregriv69

gregriv69 New Member

Don't put too much content on your pages. Web sites that use flashing banners and dancing animations are all well and good, but can take an age to load for poor dial-up users. Your visitors will get tired of waiting and will just go of to another site if your page takes longer than 60 seconds to load.

2. cherie27

cherie27 New Member

Having content is good, but categorize them into several pages, will not cause the site to jam up.

It is the images and flash files that will cause the visitors to give up waiting.

I am one of the typical person whom i will not wait for the website to load for too long. If the website is created on flash, i will skip the website.

3. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

gregriv69: that use flashing banners and dancing animations are all well and good, but can take an age to load for poor dial-up users. Your visitors will get tired of waiting and will just go of to another site if your page takes longer than 60 seconds to load.

That's very good information! I used to intern at the Red Cross, and my boss used to say "KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid"...

4. rcarney6

rcarney6 New Member

While I wil often look at a site that does have flash pages, I do agree that it is best to keep things simple. Most of the experts seem to give this advice too. Sometimes they even jokingly ask, "Is your page ugly enough?" The point is, "Do you want a page that is a masterpiece, or do you want one that will sell?" They say, simple often sells.

5. pcwork

pcwork New Member

gregriv69: Web sites that use flashing banners and dancing animations are all well and good

I wonder why so many web designers insist on using flashing banners

6. rcarney6

rcarney6 New Member

Maybe they like to be more creative. Maybe simple like we are talking aoubt is boring when you do it over and over.[​IMG]

7. IllShowYouHow

IllShowYouHow New Member

I agree for the most part...

Ultimately, the target audience should determine whether or not a site uses a lot of images/flash and or whether the entire site is developed in flash alone.

Flash can be cool but there is definitely a need for balance...this is one case where a lot is not always a good thing...especially when you consider Search Engine Optimization - but that's a whole other topic.

8. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Generally speaking, avoid flashy stuff and bloated image files.

There are exceptions.

Page load time and professionalism usually take precedence over "here's what I can do as a webmaster".

~Newbie Shield~

9. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Newbie Shield: Page load time and professionalism usually take precedence over "here's what I can do as a webmaster".

Does not always happen, at least in Asia

10. Sonni

Sonni New Member

I don't like the flashing banners or the pop up things that keep coming back especially the ones that come up when you're trying to get out of there. I prefer simple with good content and a good product.
    Sonni

11. naturalis

naturalis New Member

Tell me about it sonni :p

I prefer using in-line web forms than any kind of pop-ups and
    simple graphics over flash animations. I think that IM is all about
    simplicity and quality of information.

-Jernej

12. BlueIce

BlueIce New Member

simplicity is always the key for websites, would never reccommend a completely flash website unless you are a huge organisation which is always going to get visits anyway.

13. cupbucket

cupbucket New Member

I am still surprised that not everywhere has broadband. "They" could easily provide it.