Key to building a successful downline in any MLM

Discussion in 'Network/Multi-level Marketing' started by coreyjroman, Jul 24, 2005.

1. r0han New Member

Indeed some very informative posts, its nice for a change to see information and knowledge shared than the usual pitching to join a company stuff.

Thanks for all this information.

Rohan
  2. ESS New Member

Quoting: BuckyBottom line is that you need to be a good mentor. I have a team of two great people that have really helped me develop and refine my skills.

Very True....

In any business the key to being successful vs unsuccessful is mentoring.

Why is franchising the most successful business model? It is because there is a system to follow which includes ongoing support and training(mentoring).

The home business arena, especially MLM, attracts many folks who are not self motivating or business savvy. Thus if there is not a strong mentoring program, or upline mentor to guide them, they give up or quit.

The key is to find someone, a sponsor, who is willing to take you by the hand and lead you every step of the way. That sponsor does not have to be super successful, yet. But they should give you the indication that they are "plugged in", being mentored by their upline and that they are strictly following a successful system themselves.
    (A good indication of this is if they quickly introduce you to other successful people in their upline).

Then you yourself must work hard, invest in your business and eventually graduate from student to becoming a teacher/mentor to your people as well.

As a mentor you are responsible to see that they get training and education. The most important thing you must do is help them identify their "why" or dream. What is their burning desire for wanting to start a business of their own.

I also believe that as a mentor you need to develop a close bond and friendship with who you are mentoring. After all the person you are mentoring is many times putting their future in your hands, you hold the keys to their ultimate success or failure.

Jeff
  3. jasonv New Member

Hello,

I'm a newbie when it comes to the forums but from what I have read over the past two weeks from this and other forums. I have to say that these posts are the most informative that I have found. With regard to the topic! OUTSTANDING !
    Wanda makes a good point! Is it a stand alone product/service? Would you be involved if a business opportunity wasn't present?
    How do you do that? You test it out for yourself! If it turns out to worthy, promote it!
  4. Carolyn New Member

Quoting: wealthymom36Question: should I just let them go or I should get on the phone to convince them to stay?

Just curious, did you need to convince them to join when they started?

I agree that having a simple system in place where people can plug in easily with a product that is a stand alone product is very helpful. However, I also think it's important to provide some support so that our members can be more independent and can become leaders themselves.

As members start off, I use a strategy someone taught me and that is to create a schedule by filling in the time they are NOT available first ("job" time, kid's game time, etc.) then look at what's left for business time and schedule it. Then show up for work!

To help them stay motivated, if they have a family, suggesting they create family goals/dreams - what everyone wants to gain from the new business may help (for example, a family trip?). If solo, does he/she have his/her own goals/dreams written out to look at daily? Usually, there is a reason someone seeks out the opportunity and starts.

Providing a variety of ways that they can run their business and helping them to find a fit then perhaps providing a weekly "accountability" conference call with your group with the opportunity to ask questions and brainstorm with the group may help as well.

It seems the bottom line is that you can provide ongoing support and guidance with a strong desire to help them succeed, but it's up to your individual members to want to succeed within themselves as if you want it more than them, ultimately it likely just won't work!

To Your Success!
  5. cliftonwebgroup New Member

I think it's very important to be involved with a product or service that you believe in. If you don't believe in what your selling then you will not be successful.
  6. spirk02 New Member

Great ideas, great stuff here.

Many good points about building an MLM. Consistancy of efforts by downline members and training is very key. Everyone has to have the same message to build with. I have recently just signed up for the Dani Johnson training. I would highly recommend her to anyone in an MLM, to help maintain consistancy within your downline.

The comments about a product to sell are also very good. Any strong business has to have a good product or service at its core.

Eat Drink And Be Merry [IMG] [IMG]

[email protected]
  7. charlesfuchs New Member

Yeah, i been in MLM for many years. I like to work and help individuals on my team. Its the best way to go. [IMG]
  8. lionsault New Member

Thank you Corey. You have given me some good insights into network marketing.
  9. proamo New Member

This is a great thread.

Both newbies and "the old guys" can learn from this thread.

The issue about UPLINE is VERY important. Many are afraid to say no to the first person to approach them if they want to join that specific company. They think it is un-ethical to say no to one person and then sign up under another, BUT remember that a GOOD upline can be be the KEY TO YOUR SUCCESS.

In my previous company I WAS the upline. I only had corporate above me, and I tended to "paint my self in a corner" by doing everythig for everybody..... = BIG MISSTAKE. I have learned by doing, and now I guide my people the right way and grow new leaders. That is the only way to create "walk away income".

I am now very thrilled to have found the best upline ever.

We all learn that A sponsor B and then A teaches B to sponsor C. BUT we seem to forget to TEACH B HOW to TEACH C to TEACH (get the point)

There is an old saying:
    Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man how to fish and he'll have food for life...........BUT we should add: Teach a man to teach others to fish and they can feed the world.

Regards
    Rune Evensen
  10. tldtim New Member

Rune, I like your quote there at the end. There is one more benefit to teaching others. As you teach other people you can't help but rekindle your passion and what you've learned.. and learn more from them.
  11. livingtoxinfree New Member

Hello. I am new here and also pretty new to MLM. I have tried a couple of different MLM's and did not have much success but I do think you have to be passionate about your products. You have to believe in the company and what you are offering or selling. I think that helps in your sale.

Does anyone know a good lead site??
  12. ITV Leader New Member

Everyone is so concerned about leads. The best leads are people that telephone you directly after watching a television infomercial. The technology available today makes that scenario a reality. I do it.
  13. talfighel Silver Member

Hi Corey,

I totally agree with you on that one.

It is very important that you find a good, solid, legit, honest, and great leadership.

Don't forget that at the start when someone joins your team, you need to be 2 things. A good friend and a good mentor. That is why you see so many leaders give out books and tapes to the new person.

For someone that comes years of JOB "brainwash", it is critical that you guide them and give them tapes and books.

I always like to say that it is better to be "brainwashed" for success rather then being "brainwashed" for failure.
  14. rowley New Member

I'm absolutely convinced that phone calls are the way to go, rather than email or internet-based recruiting, however I'm as yet too scared to make my first call [IMG] I have no idea what to say, although I have a few 'mlm' phone numbers collected from a website I once had. Any advice on how to get over the nerves and say something coherent?
  15. ITV Leader New Member

Hi Rowley,

I completely agree, it can be a bit nerve racking to pick up the phone and start cold calling. The best solution to speaking on the phone without getting rejected or hung up on, is to actually take incoming calls from people already knowing about your product or opportunity, and simply calling you to order it or sign-up under you after having watched a television infomercial on it. Its a very satisfying feeling.

Jim
  16. RayvinAndRob New Member

Hello Rowley,

Would you like to do something about your "phonophobia?" If so, give me a call! I can help you.

Rob Nyte
    (705) 670 - 9326 (anytime)
  17. talfighel Silver Member

Quoting: jubuHy everyone,

I think the best MLM advertising are ezines.
    Ezines will grow your downline like crazzy and it's been prooved.

This is very true. If you have a website and give your visitors the option to subscribe to your newsletter, then you can email them, after they gave you their permission, with your MLM business.

I personally have my own list of opt in subscribers and this has been proven to me many times that you can build a team by emailing your subscribers with the opportunity.

Tal
  18. RayvinAndRob New Member

When I'm asked what I do for a living I say I'm in the construction business.

"Oh, you build houses?"

"No. I build people." That piques their interest.

"What do you mean?" they ask.

"I create relationships with people who I think might enjoy earning an extra income working part-time at home on their computer. Would you be interested in learning how?"

Some say "Sure!"

So I put them on my contact list and they recieve my newsletter every few weeks.

Would you like to know what I include in my newsletter that works so well for me?

If so, all you need to do is send me your contact info and you'll get the next copy.

To Your Success!

Rob Nyte
    (705) 670 - 9326 (anytime)
  19. Cuzimdmom New Member

Thank you, everyone, for such great info. I can never learn too much when it comes to MLMs.

I'd have to say that having a strong Upline is Key. My Sponsor is the most positive person I know and I've really learned a lot from her. She will pass on a Hot Lead without hesitation. She's quick to answer e-mails and she's always accessible by phone. I know this isn't easy for her because she has quite a downline. She's usually up past midnight helping someone with something. I've known her for just over a year now and I adore her. Actually, I consider her a friend. Funny thing is, I'm in California and she's in Florida. We've never met face to face. Because of her Mentoring, I will succeed and so will those in my downline.

"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you'll help them to become what they are capable of becoming." ~Goethe
  20. abejebai New Member

I think that Network Marketing is the best business ever. I can tell you that many companies fail and do not survive more than 5 years because their product is not unique, successful and expensive. There are few things that you have to take in consideration when you join the MLM business:
    1- Company
    i- History
    ii- Administration
    iii- Expansion
    etc....

2- Product
    i- Unique (patent)
    ii- Effective
    iii- Not expensive

3- Compensation Plan:
    i- Don't beleive the high % in the 1st level
    ii- Is it balanced and based on science?
    iii- look at the positions and some details

4- I call it the 4th element which is the system and team. Many people these days do not believe that team work, meeting, conferences work. I can tell you that they are wrong if the team is based on values and principles. You should never look at your leader as a $ sign. Look at him as human being who needs to learn.

I can go on and on with more details. Now, you might ask yourself, this is too good to be true. I can tell you that you are wrong because I am in one of the best MLM companies in the whole world and the expansion, results and growth is amazing. The product is unique, and the compensation plan is great.

BUT the most imprtant part is the team that we have. I can say proudly that our team will be the best and greatest team in the whole world.

Give yourself the opportunity of contacting me so I can fill some blanks for you.

Abraham
    (313) 926 3736