Keywords in blog domains and titles - wordpress

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by JackieM293, Oct 20, 2010.

1. JackieM293

JackieM293 Member

Hi

I'm new to this forum and so hoping I am making this post in the right place.

I am trying to fathom out how best to use keywords in blog domain names and URL's.

Am I right in thinking that I should be using my keywords in both?

If this is the case I am concerned that the domain name will become very long and therefore loose memorability.

Can I use a 'catchy' phrase for the domain name and then my keywords in the title or does this be foolish in terms of SEO?

All advice, help and guidance much appreciated by this newbie.

Thank you

J

2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Keyword in domain name does matter but not in the way you think it would.

Ranking of a website is largely determined by the anchor text links from external websites to that website. When you have keywords in the domain name, people who link to your site without your consent are more likely to link through the text they see in the domain name.

For example, let's say your domain name is johnsblog.com and the blog (name/title) is about "making money online". Now, it is very likely that other sites may link to you through the text "John's Blog" instead of the blog title/name "Make Money Online". This would somehow confuse the search engines as to what your blog is exactly about. So, most likely, your blog will not rank well for "Make Money Online" because the links coming from external sites are varied in their opinion about your blog.

A good option is to use abbreviations if the keyword you are targeting is very long. This way, other sites who link to you are more likely to actually check what your blog is about and use your title text/blog name to link back to you if they cannot make anything from your domain name by just looking at it.

3. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Keep your blog in a tight niche and then if you use the exact same keyword phrase in the following areas, it will help:

Url
    title of blog
    title of post
    within the first few sentences
    several times scattered throughout the posts
    in anchor text within your blog
    in closing of blog

It will NOT help though if you write about 20 different topics in 20 different posts on the same blog. [​IMG]

4. JackieM293

JackieM293 Member

Thankyou.

That's really helpful and has thrown a new light on things. I had not appreciated the role that external links / sites have in determining page rank.

Now I just need to find out what anchor text is and then hopefully I'll be back with news of my new blog soon!

Thanks again

J

5. JackieM293

JackieM293 Member

That's simple enough. Thank you.

J

6. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

JackieM293: Now I just need to find out what anchor text is
    Anchor text is the text used to link to an URL. For example, in the link Work at Home Forum, Work at Home Forum is the anchor text.

7. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

JackieM293: Now I just need to find out what anchor text is and then hopefully I'll be back with news of my new blog soon!
    Good luck and have fun.[​IMG]

8. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Having the keyword in your domain name will not help your page get more traffic or get you on page 1 or 2 on Google.

But I do recommend that you use it.