Landscape Design?

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Chelone, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Chelone

Chelone New Member

I'm going to be graduating from college in a year, majoring in Landscape Design and Greenhouse Technology. I took these majors because I love design, and I love gardening. Ultimately, I want to be designing and *helping* in the installation of raingardens and shorline restorations.

Some other ideas I have: Here in Minnesota, there are some counties that give homeowners grants for installing raingardens. I've contacted the counties that have these programs and the work that has to be done to get the grants as far as paperwork and prep is fairly complicated. I thought I could design the garden and help them get the grant, and that would be my service- or some version of that.

I'm also open to the traditional start my own landscaping company, but I'd specialize in the raingarden/ shorline restoration work as well as watergarden work- as a designer only. The labor I'd prefer to contract out. I'd also emphasize naturalizing plantings using native plant species.

What do you guys here think? Any other ideas? I know nothing about getting into the world of starting a business. As far as other experience I have in this along with my schooling, I've worked at a nursery/retailer in the past, and I have my hobbies.

Thanks!
  2. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Chelone: I thought I could design the garden and help them get the grant, and that would be my service- or some version of that.
    You could get started now by putting together a blog on those raingarden grants.
    By the time you finish school you could already have a thriving business.
    Show people how hard it is and how you can help them qualify easier.

My best friend for 25 years, RIP, was a landscape architect with a following.
    He started as a designer for a nursery until he got his own contractors license.
    He focused on the return on investment when doing sales, it closed the deals.
    You have a valuable service to offer so just get started and learn as you go.
  3. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Chelone,

It's great that you are thinking ahead. Grants can be so confusing and hard for people to first locate, and secondly organize the details for a successful application.

If you've already done the research and know how to help people apply successfully, you can definitely create a great income stream for yourself.

Rather than a blog, I'd suggest you create a theme based website on the subject of rain gardens and the shore restoration work you mentioned.

While you are completing your final year of school, you can be building an informative niche website (your business foundation) so that you will be way ahead of the game by the time you graduate.

There are so many options for monetization if you go that route. I'm excited for you just thinking about it! [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  4. Chelone

Chelone New Member

Thank you guys. I hadn't even thought about creating a blog or website for myself. I have seen one other person with a web presence here in Minnesota with part of the same idea, but I thought her site was confusing in itself. That being said, I don't know anything about creating an effective site, what I should have on it, or anything. There are a lot of very experienced designers in my area with a web presence as well... I'm talking those old trusty guys that personally I'd go to before I'd hire a fresh young girl out of college myself if I didn't know better (like the renegade gardener). I know nothing about marketing and I don't have a lot of money. But I am excited and an information sponge, so I guess I need to get to work!

Thank you again for the great ideas and encouragement. It's very appreciated...very very much. [​IMG]
  5. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Chelone: That being said, I don't know anything about creating an effective site, what I should have on it, or anything.
    You're not the only one! I was in the same position when I was starting out. There are some very good site building programs that will take you step by step through the whole process. If you determine to follow their instructions faithfully, you'll be able to build a very effective website that generates targeted traffic - people who are looking for exactly what you have to offer.

All the very best to you!
    Blessings,
    Angie