Leaking the Statistics

Discussion in 'Website Promotion' started by netjobs, Aug 23, 2006.

1. netjobs

netjobs Member

I found some of the members website in this forum is using sitemeter for tracking purposes and their statistics are not hidden, anybody can view their website stats on simply clicking on the sitemeter logo...

I am just confused... can we public the stats to everybody who visits the site or should we hide the stats ?? what could be the advantages and disadvantages?? (surely some advantages for the visitors [​IMG])
  2. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Depends on how much you earn. If you earn a lot, why create competition? If you wish to sell advertising yourself or your website, the buyer may ask for stats
  3. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

SiteMeter offers two versions of their Web counter. One is free, the other is a paid subscription. Users can make their statistics private, but I don't know if that feature is available on the free version.

Personally I believe a site's stats are a private matter. However, if you needed to make that information available to a prospective joint venture partner or an advertiser, there are ways to restrict the sharing of that information to the parties concerned.

Hermas
  4. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Quoting: A8chSiteMeter offers two versions of their Web counter. One is free, the other is a paid subscription. Users can make their statistics private, but I don't know if that feature is available on the free version.

Yes, the feature is available on the free version too. By default the stats are visible to public and I guess most of the users are not aware that they can make their stats hidden by changing the privacy level. Or may be they are not even aware that their stats are visible to public.

Quoting: netjobsI am just confused... can we public the stats to everybody who visits the site or should we hide the stats ?? what could be the advantages and disadvantages?? (surely some advantages for the visitors

Like Hermas said, I personally wouldn't be comfortable displaying my site stats publicly to everyone. I don't mind displaying the figures (you must if you intend to sell advertising space), but not the referrals!