learning html on your own

Discussion in 'Profit Lance' started by zulu5200, Jan 18, 2009.

1. zulu5200

zulu5200 New Member

hey people,
    Can anyone recommend a good book on html? I'm going to learn this stuff on my own and take that first step into building my own website. I've got a good domain name that isn't taken and I want to begin a website before that name is gone. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

there are several good sites with html info and Newbie Shield has one of the best ones, in my opinion! It is designed to use with Squidoo but I use it anywhere.

Check out his sig - I think it is still in there...[​IMG]
  3. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

zulu5200: Can anyone recommend a good book on html?
    You should be able to find a good selection of web design books in the computer section of any large book store. And an online search should turn up suitable choices as well.

Here's a website you can take a look at that teaches HTML and CSS web design techniques to the absolute beginner. Check out the video for an overview of what is offered.

http://www.killersites.com/web-design/

zulu5200: I've got a good domain name that isn't taken and I want to begin a website before that name is gone. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    If you are sold on the domain name, I recommend that you register it right away before someone beats you to it.

Hermas
  4. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

5. taz87

taz87 New Member

hey all,for a start i would like to congratulate zulu5200 on his bravery into going in the mysterious(for me!) world of web design as for i have decided the same thing...

as great as profit lance is on content and valuable information it certainly doesn't have anything to do with html and the likes.
    A recommended site in PL (not sure if i can mention it here but i am sure most of you know it) is indeed exceptional at providing the fundamentals of html,xml,xhtml and css explaining what they are all about and purpose...

for someone like me who knows nothing about all that stuff its perfect but now i am thinking ahead, i will need more to be able to write web pages the way i want them to be.

Now...all i am asking is where can i go to get that skill basically
    i have long ago realized that investing in myself is the key.
    i am willing to spend whatever i can whether be that money or time to learn this skill and add it to my bag of skills.
    any courses,books,etc you guys recommend?
    Newbie Shield: I own an earlier edition (it's on my shelf for quick reference) of an Amazon best seller book called:

HTML, XHTML, and CSS, Sixth Edition (Visual Quickstart Guide) (Paperback) by Elizabeth Castro

a more specific question to newbie shield do you recommend this for a beginner,with it will i be able once i apply it to build web pages from scratch the way i want them?

Thanks for your input