List building Question

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by mirab, Sep 27, 2009.

1. mirab

mirab New Member

I have a few affiliate programs that I promote where I send prospects directly to
    the affiliate site instead of trying to capture an email first to build my list, and then redirecting them to the site.

I feel like some affiliates sales page will convert better than If I try and set up a squeeze page.
    Anyone agree with that or do you think it's better to try and capture an email
    no matter what you are promoting?

Any comments??
  2. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

Technically, you aren't going to know that until you test it out - a lot of people who start building lists see much better sales after the fact, but at the same time, if it isn't broken, it doesn't need fixing...
  3. Jean LA

Jean LA New Member

Building you own list is also a great idea of promoting products. Having them can give you free advertising and low cost money earner.
  4. evgenyts

evgenyts Guest

I agree with getagrip,
    mirab, I alredy tried your suggestion and sometimes it works and sometimes it worse then redirecting by mailing list. Personally I prefer mailing list, it easier to deal with and to track conversions. I do both. You can see it on my site home page. But, you are wellcome to try and share us with your findings.

Good Luck!
  5. Lalachacha

Lalachacha New Member

I think some affiliate sales pages are definitely better than your own squeeze pages (depending on the quality of course). Sometimes the owners of your affiliate product can do a better job at pulling prospects in than you could do with a squeeze page. HOWEVER, you must use good judgment and look at your affiliate capture page the same way a prospective customer would. Is it appealing? Would you buy that product?

If the answers are yes then definitely opt for that over using your own squeeze page. You want to build a list yes, but if you're promoting more than 1 affiliate product it's not going to hurt to use the page your product comes with. It means less work for you, possible more sales, which means more money in your pocket and that is always a good thing!
  6. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Active Member

This may help:

- 2% of sales are made on the 1st contact
    - 3% of sales are made on the 2nd contact
    - 5% of sales are made on the 3rd contact
    - 10% of sales are made on the 4th contact
    - 80% of sales are made on the 5th-12th contact

Statistics provided by the National Sales Association

with your list you can follow up accordingly
  7. onedumbaussie

onedumbaussie New Member

I have had success with putting drop ins on the affiliate sales pages.

you send them direct to the sales page but you still have the opportunity to capture a lead.
    Example:
    http://www.bz9.com/googledemo

That is a drop in on google for demo purposes.

One Dumb Aussie
  8. Lalachacha

Lalachacha New Member

onedumbaussie: I have had success with putting drop ins on the affiliate sales pages.

you send them direct to the sales page but you still have the opportunity to capture a lead.
    Example:
    http://www.bz9.com/googledemo

That is a drop in on google for demo purposes.

That's hotness!

How do you implement your own drop box? Totally intriguing. But I guess you'd still have to pay for your own autoresponder huh? I've seen some that you can get for free on google but would those work with this technique? Ha! Here we go now, this is a good one!

Thanks for sharing!
  9. mirab

mirab New Member

Cool, I was wanting something like that and have a script for it but I just can't figure out how to get in on my server.
    Let us know how we can get a hold of that and if it's easy to install.
  10. mirab

mirab New Member

OK I see the website to get that script, the only down side is that it seems that they keep all the opt ins and you just get to send them emails. In other words, you don't get the person who opts into the lists data. They get it and allow you to mail them promotions.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I guess that's good for someone who doesn't want their own list
  11. debbystewart

debbystewart New Member

FreeCashMan: This may help:

- 2% of sales are made on the 1st contact

with your list you can follow up accordingly
    Interesting stats. However, this hasn't been my personal experience.
    Most of my sales occur on the first contact.
  12. bzimm

bzimm New Member

I think that really depends on the niche. If your doing somthing in weight loss or health related, then by all means I'd build a list first. But I'd have to laugh pretty hard if someone was trying to build a list in something like reverse cell phone lookups or hemmeroid cures.[​IMG]
  13. plrwithalex

plrwithalex New Member

The saying "the money's in the list" is great if you have other related products or affiliate products in that same niche. I focus on micro niches and having a list for people who want to build chicken coops is probably not going to do me any good. But having that script on my broader niche of organic gardening could be helpful when I drill down to other products in that niche. Nice add!
  14. idealadchoice

idealadchoice New Member

I use a free leads generator system and an ebook to build a list.

I promote the free leads system and when they sign-up I teach them to duplicate the referral system.

Plus...

I have an Ebook that helps another become successful. The Ebook contains my opportunity link at the end of each page and when the referral joins the free leads system I would offer them the ebook for free.
  15. garygoh

garygoh New Member

bzimm: I think that really depends on the niche. If your doing somthing in weight loss or health related, then by all means I'd build a list first. But I'd have to laugh pretty hard if someone was trying to build a list in something like reverse cell phone
    lookups or hemmeroid cures
    I agree with this. It all depends on what kind of products or services that you are promoting.
  16. garygoh

garygoh New Member

debbystewart: Interesting stats. However, this hasn't been my personal experience.
    Most of my sales occur on the first contact.
    I am actively promoting a relationship related e-book. Some of my sales happen on the first contact.

I guess maybe they are just too desperate for a solution in order to solve their problem.

Having said that, they are also quite a number of sales that I made only after several contacts. Those are mostly survey related.
  17. DwayneZ

DwayneZ New Member

mirab: I have a few affiliate programs that I promote where I send prospects directly to
    the affiliate site instead of trying to capture an email first to build my list, and then redirecting them to the site.

I feel like some affiliates sales page will convert better than If I try and set up a squeeze page.
    Anyone agree with that or do you think it's better to try and capture an email
    no matter what you are promoting?

Any comments??
    Getting your own list is a gret idea as you can market to them in the future and gain profits for yourself.
  18. gowriter

gowriter Member

I say do both. Build an email list from the beginning, but what you want to do is offer a free gift to entice people to join your list. That gift can be a free report, a free ebook, a free video tutorial, free website template.

Once you have people in your list, you can nurture a relationship with your readers offering them more helpful advice as well as trying to promote. I wouldn't keep promoting to them right away and over and over and over.

Another way to build your list is to participate in a JV giveaway. You have to have a free gift that you have the rights to give away. Some people have reported that has really helped them gain visitors.

Once you've got about 500 people in your list, you may want to consider an ad swap.
  19. aniket

aniket New Member

FreeCashMan: - 2% of sales are made on the 1st contact

WOW ..gives me confidence...

would like to add my 2 cents....

I think list building helps to provide long term residual income as once you have got a list there is less worry to get traffic in that particular niche(you can always work on getting more on the list)..
    moreover...once the list reaches 500 marks one can opt for list swaps or autoresponders swaps which may boost ur subscribers

Kind Regards
    Aniket
  20. stellaandreapar

stellaandreapar New Member

Hi guys, please help me... please explain what kind of list is this... is this email lists?