Looking for any advice to get me started. Any insight appreciated :)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by DavidvstheWorld, Jul 22, 2011.

1. DavidvstheWorld New Member

Hi, I'm new here and i thought I'd introduce myself. I've been looking through most of the threads on this forum for a few weeks now and i thought I'd join. I guess the thought of earning money online appeals to me whether it be a small amount to supplement my income or more. I suppose spending more time at home would be a positive for most people. My partner and I both work part time, working around one another's schedules to look after the baby. I'm also starting a part-time Maths Degree so the less time at the workplace, the better.

To be honest, other than being quite handy with a computer and good with almost any software, I don't really have any 'web skills'. I don't have a website nor have I ever, I don't have a blog, I don't have much marketing knowledge etc but I'm not opposed to taking the time to learn what I need to know to succeed(as with any walk of life).

Having looked through the forum(and others) at many methods folk use, I guess affiliate marketing appeals to me amongst others. The things that don't appeal are paid surveys, fiver, data entry, 'qet rich quick' scams and anything legally or morally grey. I should add that I'm not against investing money up front for memberships or training but I'd probably like to gain some knowledge of what I need to do first and/or invest money I've already earned to move up the ladder of anything I choose to do.

Basically I'm looking for any information/tips/advice anyone would be willing to offer to someone starting out and a point in the right direction would be much appreciated. I should add that I'm based in UK.

Thanks , David
  2. talfighel Silver Member

There is a book on the market that will help you and show you how you can earn a decent income online.

The book is called How I made my millions online and how you can too By Ewen Chia.

You can buy it on Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble. This is a great book for newbies like you.

I read it myself and it is pretty good for starters.
  3. DavidvstheWorld New Member

Cheers mate, I'll definitely give that a look.
  4. mountainmom5 Gold Member

I do affiliate marketing and it is what I usually recommend for newbies, if you can use a system to help you get started that will also teach you the ins and outs of how to use keywords, how to set up your pages for seo etc. I used SiteBuildit when I got started and am still using it as I haven't found anything else like it yet.[IMG]

Cheers!
  5. FreeCashMan Active Member

Wise to seek marketing/training to help prosper. Also knowing that one ideally needs to put some money into the mix to get good money out says you know that business has start up.

Many affiliate marketing training guides out there. Study, apply, study apply, and bring those profits into your bank account. I've done some affiliate marketing but for me nothing beats the leverage potential of a networking home business.

All the best.
  6. DavidvstheWorld New Member

Thanks, advice noted.
  7. dmitch31 New Member

I agree with Mountain Mom on the affiliate marketing. If you can market a product that brings in residual income (month after month), that certainly helps.

I also agree with what FreeCashMan said about the study apply study apply. Many times it's the "apply" part of it that is hard.

I'll tell you a bit of my personal story. And, I guess I got lucky, because it seems like many people try to make money online but fail. I worked at putting out web content for about four months, and then I stopped. Don't really know why I stopped. There was no particular reason. Life just got in the way I guess. But anyway, the cool thing was that even after I stopped, those efforts that I put in continued to bring me over $5,000 a year for the next two years! Pretty good for doing nothing eh? I mean, obviously I did the work to get it started, but the cool thing was that it continued earning me money even after I stopped investing my time.

It eventually tapered down, but at least it helped me be aware of the potential.

You had asked for advice... my suggestion would be to not get discouraged by all of the junk out there. There truly is a lot of snake oil out there and it can be depressing because it makes you wonder if you have to be a sleazeball yourself to make money online. While there is quite a bit of questionable stuff out there, there is also a lot of good quality learning materials too. You just have to know where to find it.

I'd also say that your computer and software skills will pretty much translate over into good web skills too. If you're good with computers and software, then creating web content or web sites shouldn't be any problem for you at all.

Let me know if you have any other questions or thoughts. I'd be happy to discuss it further. Being at the very beginning of the journey is a challenging place to be. Good luck! [IMG]
  8. DavidvstheWorld New Member

Thanks for the response, everything taken on board. I'm like a sponge for knowledge [IMG]

Right now I'm just gonna keep doing my research but hopefully in the next 2 months, my schedule should slow down to the point i can really invest the time into starting up.

On all the forums I've viewed and asked for advice on, SBI just keeps popping up over and over. I really like the idea of an all inclusive package which will coach me along with providing everything i need to get started. Maybe this could be the start i need....

Anyway, much appreciation for the advice guys, I'll let you know how i get on [IMG]
  9. happywife Gold Member

DavidvstheWorld: On all the forums I've viewed and asked for advice on, SBI just keeps popping up over and over. I really like the idea of an all inclusive package which will coach me along with providing everything i need to get started. Maybe this could be the start i need....
    I'm another very happy SBI user. They won't steer you wrong and are probably the best option on the market if you want to get into affiliate marketing.

I'd also suggest that while you are waiting to officially get started, in your spare time read their free ebook, The Affiliate Masters Course, as it will give you an edge by helping you grasp the basics before you take the plunge.

Blessings,
    Angie
  10. A8ch Gold Member

DavidvstheWorld: Having looked through the forum(and others) at many methods folk use, I guess affiliate marketing appeals to me amongst others.
    I got my start with affiliate marketing too. I was completely green at the time, with no clue about anything. What appealed to me the most was the knowledge base I could access as part of my affiliation. That's how I got my footing in the basics of Internet Marketing.

It took me four months to make my first dollar (my first check was about $22 dollars). Getting that first check in the mail proved two things to me:

1. It was possible to make money online.
    2. I could do it.

That was over 10 years ago. The rest as they say is history! [IMG]

Hermas
  11. DavidvstheWorld New Member

Thanks for the advice guys and gals. Much appreciated. I've read through the SBI affiliate masters course ebook and i think I'll have to read it another 2 or three times to digest it. Very insightful. I'm also working through the 30 day challenge as of a few days ago.

If anyone else can point me in the direction of any good sources for pre-preparation it would be welcomed. Also any pro's and con's of SBI or similar companies would also be welcomed.

Thanks again, David.
  12. happywife Gold Member

DavidvstheWorld: Also any pro's and con's of SBI or similar companies would also be welcomed.
    Pros: (too many to list, but here are my favorites...)

1. It's everything you need all in once place fully integrated and ready to go.

2. It's designed so that your level of previous experience is irrelevant. Complete ignorance (like I had) or advanced web design skills - doesn't matter.

3. It works! (if you follow the instructions) [IMG]

4. 90 Day Risk Free Trial

5. Private members forum that is like nothing I've seen before - excellent resource and alone is worth the annual fee for SBI.

Cons:

1. The cost per site building package is $299 per year (or $29.99 per month). Some people think this is too expensive and would like to be able to build unlimited website businesses for that price.

2. It takes work - not GRQ. You have to put in a solid effort up front before you really start to see the results. With all the hype of people claiming to make money fast, some people have expectations of earning a good income in just a couple of months which is extremely unlikely, so they give up too soon.

3. SBI users tend to become extremely "devoted" to the program and sometimes to the exclusion of all else.

Blessings,
    Angie