Looking for Remote IT (Work-From-Home) opportunity and need assistance

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by steppinthrax, Aug 27, 2014.

1. steppinthrax

steppinthrax New Member

Hello,

I'm an IT professional (Senior .NET developer). I want to get a IT based work from home position. My traditional methods for job hunting has been Monster, Indeed, Career Builder etc... However, these generally don't have a search just for "remote" positions. Is there a site that grabs the positions from all these sites and displays it just there (one centralized location)? Also what sites do you guys generally use for finding work-from-home?
  2. Robin Bull

Robin Bull Member

Sure. You could use indeed.com to do that. You can find it if you know how to search for it. Remote, work from home, work at home, off site, telecommute. Do you want to freelance or do you want to be an employee? Kelly Services (a temp agency) sometimes has positions for work at home IT. You might check with them, too.
    payment proof likes this.
  3. steppinthrax

steppinthrax New Member

Thank you very much for your reply. I didn't even realize the "telecommute" option within Craigslist. I see freelance options on Elance, but my concern is it won't be steady income. What is the general income you can see with freelance work? What's the typical income etc...
  4. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Odesk may be another site to check out. I know a couple of developers who've found some contracting gigs there.
  5. Stephanie Klein

Stephanie Klein New Member

oDesk is good. But personally I've found the quality on Elance.com is much much better. All the decent freelance jobs I've picked up have been on Elance.com and their free accounts are good if you are only looking for IT. The paid side is if you're looking for work in more than one category. Just make sure that if you go that route you take the skills tests. Best way to prove to potential clients that you know what you're talking about. :)
  6. steppinthrax

steppinthrax New Member

Thanks,

How much money can you usually make. Example, I make around 115K at my current job. I'm not expecting exactly that, but is it reasonable to net maybe 60 to 80K on elance/odesk/etc....
  7. Stephanie Klein

Stephanie Klein New Member

It all depends on the job. I don't work in IT. But I can tell you that the sections I look in the jobs range from $10/hour up to $30 and the 'one off' projects can get up into the $1,000 range. My guess is IT could be more lucrative because it's more specialized. Sign up it's free and you can look and apply for whatever is in your price range.