Market Samurai / SEOBook - conflicting results?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by treevee, May 30, 2010.

1. treevee

treevee Member

Trying to find microniches for my main keyword and I get so many conflicting results using both tools - SEOBook and MS. For instance, when I find a keyword that has many searches with a small amount of page results in SEOBook, I plug that keyword into MS and get either little searches and high competition or vice versa. Even contradictions in MS itself - when I find a good keyword and the SEOC is well under 30,000 on the analytics page, I click on the SEO Competition button and it is all in red! I'm not getting this. Is there something I am not figuring right? Anyone else with these issues?

2. Margo Tuul

Margo Tuul New Member

Test it in Google yourself. Go and do it manually to make sure you get things right. If i find a good keyword, and 2 tools say different things, then i just go and check things out myself.

3. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

margo24: Test it in Google yourself. Go and do it manually to make sure you get things right. If i find a good keyword, and 2 tools say different things, then i just go and check things out myself.
    Yep, me too. Put " " around your keyword phrase and do a google search on it and you will get a good idea of what you are up against. As long as it's not much over 75,000 sites, I run with it. Others may have different strategies .... and even then sometimes it's a gamble.

I LOVE it when I find a really great keyword nugget and discover that it has very little competition.[​IMG]

4. treevee

treevee Member

margo, I am not sure what you mean by doing it myself? How can one tell how many clicks per day there are on a keyword? This is one of the issues.

I found a keyword in SEOBook that has over 1,400 google daily searches and there are 48,600 google results (when you type it in to google search) and with " ", there are 23,700. Now when I go to Market Samurai, it says that there are 118 daily searches and 58,500 competing sites.

From 1,400 to 118 is a mighty big contrast! Does anyone else who uses Market Samurai and also another keyword search tool have this discrepancy?

5. Margo Tuul

Margo Tuul New Member

I use 3 keyword tools, Google, SEOBook and MS. I go what MS says first, then check it in SEOBook, then Google. I like to export my results to excel, then i start working from there.

Take what is minimum. So if 1400 results is minimum, between 2 or 3 tools. You know this keyword gets at least 1400 searches per month. If you like it, go for it. Then Look for backlinks in top10 etc.

I usually don't worry, why there is difference etc. If i get minimum searches, and i like it...i go for it. If 1st tool shows 1000, 2nd 1500 and 3rd 2000, i know that there is 1000 searches MINIMUM. What is OK for me.

Hope this makes sense [​IMG]

6. treevee

treevee Member

Thanks margo,
    You misunderstood the data. 1400 was the highest of the 2 ---

SEOBook: 1,400 daily clicks + 48,600 pages in Google search results

Market S: 118 daily clicks + 58,500 Competing Sites (SEOC)
    (30DC teaches to find something under 30,000 SEOC, so according to them I should not pick this one!)