Medical billing Questions?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by sassafrasgirl, Dec 10, 2008.

1. sassafrasgirl

sassafrasgirl New Member

I am very new to this I just joined today. I am very interested in a work from home job. I would love to do the Medical Billing and coding online schools. Does anyone know of anyone who has completed this course and is employed? Any info would be great as I am very leery of paying for the course and not being able to do it from home. I have heard that Drs. and Hospitals are utilizing a new software program that is actually phasing this job out. Again...any ideas or info would be great!
    Thanks

2. MedTranHome

MedTranHome New Member

From what I've seen, coders generally have to work in-house for a while before they can work at home.

Transcriptionists work at home right out of school, though.

3. IMarketer

IMarketer New Member

I work for a medical billing company after 2 years of college and graduating from a medical coding program.

I do not do medical coding.

In fact, only one person I know of who graduated from the program has a job as a medical coder. That person was sent through the program by her employer, a hospital she was already doing some coding for.

It is a tough nut to crack, unless you have experience .

There are people with coding jobs working out of their homes, but they were not hired off the street, after completing courses through online schools.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I've been working in this field for 4 years and make less money and have less benefits than I did before I went back to school.