Medical transcriptionist

Discussion in 'Work at Home Moms' started by queenrachel16, Feb 7, 2008.

1. queenrachel16

queenrachel16 New Member

I have heard a lot of good things about medical transcription and i was wondering if anyone could give me some tips and sites to get started?
    Help would be great [​IMG]
    Thanks
  2. pcwork

pcwork New Member

They usually hire people with relevant experience, so many do a course
  3. Dneeser

Dneeser New Member

and I can tell you this from experiance, I completed a course in November, I also have my Assoc of Science degree and still no job.... nobody wants to hire you with less then 2 year MT experiance. Great pay is out there if you have experiance.... but how do you get it if nobody hires you!?!?! That is my question!
  4. MedTranHome

MedTranHome New Member

It's best to attend an MT school that is approved by AHDI. You can find them here: http://www.ahdionline.org/scriptcontent/mtapproved.cfm

I've been working at home as a medical transcriptionist for 11 years, transcribing for local hospitals.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have, or check out my blog. The September 2007 posts are useful to prospective MTs.
  5. Dneeser

Dneeser New Member

Hi MTATHOME, can you tell me where your blog is? I would love to read what you have to say. I graduated in Nov and having a tough time finding anyone who will take me with less then 2 yrs exp

Thanks!
  6. westfam11

westfam11 Member

I have been doing medical transcription from home for 18 years. The only reason I have been working from home is because I had previous experience. From what I have learned you must have some type of work at the office experience first. So if you have paid money and taken a class I would suggest, if possible, just go to a job and get some experience and then they will be glad to have you work from home.

Becky West
  7. dani_nae

dani_nae New Member

my mom did it at home for a while and she had a hard time finding the time with my brothers running around the house like little houligans. She was better off working away from home where she could concentrate!
  8. diane622

diane622 New Member

If you don't have medical transcription experience, you may want to consider doing general transcription. There are many nationwide companies that hire with little or no experience in this field as long as you pass their typing tests.

I work full-time for two companies in the U.S from home as an independent contractor doing general transcription, which includes interviews, speeches, reports, etc. I enjoy it tremendously! PM me if you want more info. Good Luck! Diane
  9. Candace

Candace New Member

I am entering a contest to win a free Medical Transcription course with MedWorkshops.com
    I have checked into a lot of schools, but what I like about them is they have mentored internship and guaranteed job placement when your done.
  10. RashmiP

RashmiP Guest

Hello,
    A professional transcriptionist's job is to convert the audio documents or recordings into typed format using transcription equipments. General transcription doesn't require any special training courses. You just need an eye for detail, good typing speed ands lots of common sense. But medical transcription requires training to learn medical terminologies. Whether you work outside the home or from home, this is one career where you will have to self disciplined.
  11. PrincessLynn

PrincessLynn New Member

RashmiP
    Do you know any websites that are looking for general transcriptionists. I type 110 wpm and am looking for at-home work?

Let me know please.

Thanking you in advance.