Money talks! Bull**** walks!

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by iwantthetruth, Jan 5, 2009.

1. iwantthetruth

iwantthetruth New Member

A big 'Hey' to all forum members, moderators, and Administrators. Forgive me for the topic title but, hey, it's the truth!!

I've worked for a major car manufacturer in the UK for the last 13 years. I've worked unsociable shifts for the whole time I've been there and have wanted to leave the job many a time but due to dependants and financial commitments, haven't been able to. Due to the ever increasing world economic crisis, my job security is starting to look more and more bleak! Me and my colleagues are going to have a lot of time on our hands in the coming months. The company is even offering a financial settlement should people wish to leave the company. Bearing this in mind, I've been trawling the web looking for some kind of home based business or money making systems, and believe you me, there are shit loads out there, all promising the world! That is how I stumbled across this forum and decided to join it. I've read a few posts about some of the money making systems advertised here, and to me that's exactly what they're doing, ADVERTISING! Or have I got it wrong? Everywhere I look on the web, I see advertisements. Everywhere. I'm not very savvied up on this but it appears that everyone is an affiliate. They are getting paid commission for advertising someone else's products. Even members of this forum. I see link after ad after link after ad. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against any of it. I'm all for making money, I just want a piece of the action, a piece of the pie, or whatever they call it. I would like to be able to take the financial settlement being offered by my employer, clear any outstanding debts I owe, and try and set up something from home.
    I would realistically like to earn around ??1,000 a month. This is where I have a problem.
    Because I am quite a careful person, I have trouble believing in any of the advertised websites. In my eyes, there are templates that people are copying which consists of 'seductive wording' to try entice you to subscribe to their sites. They all show little video clips, and pictures of people in big houses and nice cars. And as I said earlier, there's just so many of them. Is there genuinely a system available to me where I could earn the sort of money I suggested above that is real? I'm not one to shy away from hard work but If I'm investing hours of my time and I'm lining some scammer's pocket and not making any money myself then what's the point? I was nearly taken in by 'OSI (One Step 4 Income)' until I read the terms and conditions, and these almost contradict everything that was said before. Do you see the dilemma I have? I would welcome any 'Valid' guidance that can point me in the right direction. Sorry if I waffled on a bit [​IMG]

2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Welcome!

We forgive you for your waffling.[​IMG]

You have very valid concerns and I can address one of them for you - someone else will pop by soon, I am sure.

iwantthetruth: I've read a few posts about some of the money making systems advertised here, and to me that's exactly what they're doing, ADVERTISING!

You are right - I have some of those very links are on my blog below and here is why... I have been in network marketing for several years and have several mlm or hbb that are real businesses, where we make money by marketing products... what I do the most of, though is niche marketing where I make money a variety of ways with niche products - one being log furniture.

But, because I have been in this for so long, and the forum here is my 'online family' I have created a blog with things that have worked for me and others. I used to have (and still have) people contacting me to ask what I do and how I do it, and to be honest with you, affiliate and niche marketing takes time, so I created a blog that I can send them to to get information and to research marketing tools to try to find which is a great fit for them and then go with that source of training.... yes we do make an affiliate commission when someone else buys some of the tools.

Hope that helps a little bit.[​IMG]

Please bear in mind - it takes time to make money online... it just does not happen overnight as much as we would like it to!

3. iwantthetruth

iwantthetruth New Member

Hi Viola. Thanks for the response. First I would like to congratulate you on raising 5 kids. That is an achievement in itself. I have 3 active boys aged 7,9,& 11 and boy their energy is never ending!! Secondly, it sounds like you have had quite a lot of success with your online venture, so congratulations on that too. Enough of the flattery.

I appreciate what you're saying. I did take some time to read some of your WAH story and did want to read Potpiegirls story/training too, but I'll be honest with you, it's quite confusing. Blogs? SEO training? Isn't there an idiots guide to this anywhere that explains it in laymans terms?? You finished your message by adding "it takes time to make money online.." What sort of timescale are we talking here?
    I'm usually a quick learner but there is sooo much information everywhere that it ends up giving me a headache. I know i'm probably being lazy but i'm sure other people must feel the same way? I'm sure you must've felt it at some point? If I could earn the figure of ??1,000+ a month within the next 6 months then I would be prepared to persevere with it and educate myself in all this. I wouldn't mind making a small financial investment in these so called 'tools' if they would help me make money...

[Post edited - Admin]

4. Sonni

Sonni New Member

That is what most people do is walk away from IM because of the time, work and effort it takes to actually do it. There's a learning curve most don't want to commit to. At this point I've been at it for about 6 months I've learned a lot and fully expect to have to keep learning as the internet changes we have to change with it and it is time consuming, frustrating and you can lose money too if not careful.

So take your time if you seriously want to pursue IM, do your homework and start taking action.
    Sonni

5. iwantthetruth

iwantthetruth New Member

Thanks for your reply sonni. Both you and Viola have certainly given me something to think about. I don't want to be wasting my time pursuing 'IM' when I could be investing my time and money in to something more worthwhile and rewarding in the short and long term... I'm not saying I won't pursue it, it's just something I have to ask myself whether or not I can commit to learning how this system works.

6. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

iwantthetruth: but I'll be honest with you, it's quite confusing. Blogs? SEO training? Isn't there an idiots guide to this anywhere that explains it in laymans terms??

hmmm, I am not sure if there is an idiot's guide as most of the idiots quit before they get that far.[​IMG]

But I do know what you mean as I was there at one point and whenever I saw the term seo or even blogs, I would get a headache.

But here is the truth of the matter - Sonni is right, it takes time and research as you simply won't learn it all at once.

I think the Niche Blogger is actually more of a beginner program than Potpiegirl.... if yo have never blogged or done anything like that, then Potpiegirls stuff is not for you yet - you will only get frustrated.

Her stuff is more for the person that has tried some blogging, Squidooing, affiliate marketing etc, and is stuck in a rut - which is where I was when I found it.

Here is what I did (and still do ) when I research stuff:

1)set up a seperate email account with gmail

2)sign up for any free reports or ezines, newsletters, etc from these programs - if they ask for a phone number, and you don't want to give yours out - just put in all ones or something.

That way, as you read thru some of the information you will gravitate towards one or another as it will be more your style and as you get started in whatever way you decide to go, you will learn as you go.

You WILL choke, promise, if you try to eat the elephant all in one bite.[​IMG]

7. iwantthetruth

iwantthetruth New Member

Finished with a great philosophy! I hear what your saying. Thanks for your guidance. I will check Niche Blogger out.

8. IMarketer

IMarketer New Member

As a member of the Niche Blogger, I would advise against joining.

There has been a recent controversy on the Niche Blogger forum concerning the fact that it started in August and not one of the 700 members are making any money beyond a few cents a day from adsense.

The owner of the product and forum has started deleting any post which questions whether or not her product works and has also banned members who have questioned if it was working for anyone.

I rarely post there but have been following the controversy.

After first joining I was recommending it to people, but after trying it and seeing some of problems other new people were having, I will no longer recomend it.

9. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Thanks IMarketer - I will remove it from my blog - I personally use the One Week Marketing but had heard the Niche Blogger was more for beginners.....

I have been gearing up to get a short ebook together for beginners so I guess I better get my act together as it is so hard to find a real good one for total newbies... if someone knows of a good one, pass it around as a lot of folks would benefit from it.

I have been helping people as I can and although I love it, it IS time consuming.[​IMG]

10. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

iwantthetruth: If I could earn the figure of ??1,000+ a month within the next 6 months then I would be prepared to persevere with it and educate myself in all this.
    You're putting the cart before the horse. If you expect to have any chance of hitting your earnings goal within the next 6 months, you first need to commit to educating yourself and persevering until you succeed.

The learning curve is unavoidable, and until you manage to develop a reasonably clear understanding of the Internet, its marketing culture, and the options available to you, you'll never get to the point of making a reasonably informed decision on what to pursue.

iwantthetruth: I wouldn't mind making a small financial investment in these so called 'tools' if they would help me make money...
    Making an investment in tools without fully understanding their purpose and how to use them effectively, will NOT make you money, it will COST you money.

Before you can take something out, you must first put something in.

The Internet is rife with opportunity. Some are legitimate, others are scams. Knowing how to separate the real deals from the fake ones is only one aspect. After that you've got to examine the real deals to see which ones might be worthwhile for you. Then you've got to understand how they work, and finally, make them work for you.

That's not going to happen overnight. How long it takes is pretty much up to you!

Hermas

11. Marktech

Marktech Member

There are some things you can do online that don't involve selling... except maybe yourself, like programming or graphic design. Someone still has to market your work however. I was never a 'seller' but I have become a somewhat successful affiliate marketer.

Like you I searched high and low for a way to make money online, and like you, it seemed hopeless wading through so much hype... and worse than hype. I found something though that hit me as soon as I read it. I knew immediately that this could work. It was the original "Bum Marketing" as coined and developed by Travis Sago. You should be able to find info by googling "Bum Marketing" AND Travis Sago.

What it is, is a method to make money online without investing anything in any type of program. I followed what he proposed and made my first money online.

Since then, (about a year and a half ago), I have made several thousand dollars online parttime, not much, but marketing online is a complex skill that involves many facets - adcopy writing, internet technology, niche research...

Since I began, I never lost money, though I have re-invested some my profits in tools to help me do a better job.

Our 'leaders' have insisted for some time that a 'global economy' and 'free trade' are the only options for the future, but now that we have a global economy the whole world is suffering from a BAD global economy.

It all makes me want to move to the woods, build a shack, hunt, fish and live off the land, (if everybody did this would it be so bad?).

Great post. I enjoyed it. Continue to tell it like it is. Never give up.

12. happywife

happywife Gold Member

mountainmom5: I have been gearing up to get a short ebook together for beginners so I guess I better get my act together as it is so hard to find a real good one for total newbies... if someone knows of a good one, pass it around as a lot of folks would benefit from it.

Hey Viola, Sitesell's free Affiliate Master's Course and other free ebooks are excellent for beginners. They give the newbie a very clear tutorial of building an online business with affiliate marketing or even selling their own products and/or services.

I recommend their free resources constantly to those who just want to test the waters to see if building an online business is right for them. That's why I offer them in my sig as free downloads from my site. They helped me hugely when I was getting started and all those crazy sounding terms had me completely baffled.

iwantthetruth,

Not very many people will begin making ??1,000 per month in their first six months. It's not impossible, but you'd really have to have a lot of different things line up just perfectly for you. Hard to achieve as a complete amateur.

That's not to say making ??1,000 is an unrealistic goal - it's just the time frame that's the issue.

For instance, if you had a product or service that would net you ??1,000 per sale, you would only need 1 sale per month to reach that goal. That's fairly realistic - but if you don't have a product or service of your own, it may be really difficult to find a product that offers you that kind of commission as an affiliate.

Whatever you decide to "market" online, you have to put yourself in the path of interested buyers. That is really not difficult to do, but it seems like most people don't realize the importance of it or how to do it.

You will have 3 basic options...

1. Pay for traffic - the traffic stops when you stop paying. Still, it could be feasible if you had a good conversion rate and knew how to make the most of advertising without losing your shirt.

2. Drive traffic - writing articles, blogs, forum posts, classifieds, social networking, video marketing, etc. Some people enjoy this and do well with it, but it's a lot of different things to learn just starting out.

3. Draw free traffic from the search engines - build a website using proper keyword research and let the major search engines send you steady targeted traffic - people who are specifically looking for what you are offering.

Personally, I chose to use the last method since I didn't have the money to invest in advertising, and I was far too confused over all the different methods of driving traffic when I first started out.

As the others suggested, you do need to do some research to determine what type of marketing and what type of method would suit you best.

We all have our own "pet" methods or programs based on what has worked for us. And as you rightly observed, most of us are affiliates.

Some of us are affiliates of programs we actually use and find to be beneficial, and some are affiliates of programs they really know nothing about but are simply trying to make some money promoting those products/programs, not knowing if they will really help the people who purchase them.

I find it hard to blame them in my heart of hearts, because I know they are only doing what they have been 'instructed' to do by the program owners. Nevertheless, it does frustrate me, because I know if they continue on in that manner, they will never get where they need to be, and they just may take some people along with them on the path to failure.

I hope YOU will take the time to genuinely find something that is worthwhile and run with it. When you gain a measure of success, then you'll be in a position of recommending your 'training materials' to others looking to start out.

Blessings,
    Angie

P.S. Avoid those programs with the houses, cars, and big bucks advertised, of course. Your instincts were right on target. [​IMG]

13. Homeboy

Homeboy New Member

Omg, paragraphs, please, lol. Oh my eyes.....ow... [​IMG]

14. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

happywife: Avoid those programs with the houses, cars, and big bucks advertised

When ever I see something like that I hit the back button - sometimes before the page even finishes loading.

On those sites, they might as well be honest and put up a tagline that says something to the effect of "You send 'em, we scam 'em".

:)

~Newbie Shield~