Moving to a new forum software - Suggestion needed

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Vishal P. Rao, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

After using miniBB for over 6 years, I think it's time to move on to a new forum software. miniBB has served me well but, to keep abreast with latest changes and user experience in mind, I have decided to move over to Xenforo. I had been contemplating it for a while and I think it's the time now to make the transition.

Before making the transition I need your inputs and your support. You see, I have two options:

1. Move the present forum to a read only location and install a fresh copy of new forum software. For example url:
    http://www.work-at-home-forum.com/general-3/feel-like-giving-up-22579.html will move to:
    http://www.work-at-home-forum.com/archive/general-3/feel-like-giving-up-22579.html

This way, there won't be any loss of visitors as visitors to old forum pages will simply be redirected to archive. Member signature, etc. in the old forums will be intact.

However, members will have to sign up again to the new forum and start all over.

2. The second option would involve a forum migration service to migrate existing forum data to new forum software. The biggest downside to this option is that visitors to old forum pages will be shown 404 error., resulting in 1000s of dead pages. Search engines will have to completely re-index the new forum and may also penalize. Old links to forum pages will not work.

Seeing the pros and cons, I'm favoring the first option. I need your inputs and any others suggestions you may have.

Yours truly,

Vishal

2. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Option 1 offers a seamless experience for visitors and avoids a trail of digital litter.

The downside is you'll lose some members in the transition who didn't get the memo, or simply decided not to sign up again. I expect that number would be relatively small.

The ultimate benefit would be a leaner forum with a larger core of committed, loyal, active members who can pace you back to and beyond your current ranking and prestige in your niche.

I support Option 1.

Hermas

P.S. Plus, xenForo has an attractive interface that functions much like miniBB, so members will have an easy time adjusting to it.

Edited to add the P.S.

3. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

I'm not sure why option 2 would lose the pages?
    Couldn't the migration keep the old URLs intact?
    Having "archive" in the URL should cause 404s.
    Re-registration will cause lots of frustration.
    Don't kill your golden goose.

4. Vishal P. Rao

Thanks Hermas!

I understand your concern Jimmy. The migration will not take care of old urls because of the way new forum software creates urls. The url structure is entirely different, so it's not possible to match them.

In the first option, I can create conditional 301 redirects like:

RewriteRule /general-3/(.+?)\.html /archive/general-3/$1.html [R=301,L]

In the above example, all pages under "General" category will be redirected to the exact "archive" url.

Whereas in the second case, this is not possible as I will have to manually create a redirect line from old url to new forum url for thousands of pages.

Yes, re-registration will cause frustration but I feel that's not a very big issue.

The old pages will continue to receive visitors until they have the authority. So no work will go wasted.

5. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Vishal P. Rao: The migration will not take care of old urls because of the way new forum software creates urls. The url structure is entirely different, so it's not possible to match them.

That's the part I don't understand but it seems to be a common problem.
    It just doesn't make sense to me why they couldn't be a match.
    Xenforo does look like a good platform to switch to otherwise.
    A "please re-register" email should help smooth the switch.

p.s. What are you doing up at this hour?

6. Vishal P. Rao

Just2EZ: That's the part I don't understand but it seems to be a common problem.
    It just doesn't make sense to me why they couldn't be a match.
    Different forum software will have different way of generating urls. Installing SEO mods/addons will further complicate things. Before installing SEO adon in this forum, URLS were something like:
    http://www.work-at-home-forum.com/2_1234.html

After installing SEO addon, they changed to something like:
    http://www.work-at-home-forum.com/general-3/topic_name-topic_ID.html

Xenforo might create urls like:

http://www.work-at-home-forum.com/general/topic_name.topic_ID/

Again "topic_name" in the URL created by miniBB will be different from "topic_name" created by Xenforo because miniBB substitutes "special characters" in the topic name with "hyphens". Also, the "topic_name" is shortened to 70 characters, which may not be the case with Xenforo.

If there was no SEO mod installed here and if Xenforo did not use topic names in urls, then it would have been possible to match urls using topic IDs.

Just2EZ: p.s. What are you doing up at this hour?
    It was around 9.00 pm here when I made the last post [​IMG]

7. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Vishal P. Rao: around 9.00 pm here
    LOL, that's what time it is here now which is your usual time to show up.
    Not used to seeing you on here in the AM (Arizona time).
    Thanks for the explanation, I'm just old school DIY URLs or WordPress.
    I sort of understand better now but still don't know why they make it so.
    I learned long ago that URLs are one of the first things to consider.
    Lost a lot of rank moving a blog to a different platform years ago.
    Glad to see you are on top of not making the same mistake.
    Uniform Resource Locator it's not, despite the name!

8. Vishal P. Rao

Just2EZ: Not used to seeing you on here in the AM (Arizona time).
    [​IMG]

Just2EZ: Lost a lot of rank moving a blog to a different platform years ago.
    That's what might happen here too if I move all content to Xenforo. The best option therefore is to archive the present content and get as much juice from it as possible using 301 redirects. If you don't provide 301 redirects then search engines are likely to de-index all the content.

Actually the idea of archiving content didn't occur to me previously and I was literally losing sleep over as to how to best achieve the migration. Then I came across this report which listed different options while migrating. There I discovered the archiving option.

I'm sure the new platform will significantly improve the user experience here.

9. happywife

happywife Gold Member

As you know, Vishal, that type of thing is not my strong suit, but from what you've indicated above, I'd vote for option 1. [​IMG] It seems like it would be the easiest and best for you in the long run, and I don't see why signing up again would be a frustration. It's a very simple process.

Just be sure to notify us of when and where we need to take action and you can count on my continued support.

Blessings,
    Angie

10. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Well-Known Member

11. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Vishal P. Rao: using 301 redirects
    In case anyone reading this thread wants to know...
    Instead of a 404 page I use a 301 to my sitemap.html (or xml)
    That way the viewer can pick another page that interest them.
    It keeps the bad page indexed by search engines with bad links.
    When you think about it your sitemap is one of your best assets.
    Use it to keep people on your site instead of a scary 404.
    Some people make a cute 404 with a search box instead.
    The point is to make it look like they found the right site.

12. Vishal P. Rao

Good news! I think I can go ahead with Option 1 without any adverse side effects. The Xenforo support team told me that they can setup redirects from old to new urls. That's a great relief for me. Will post the upgrade schedule shortly.

13. Sum Yung Ho

Sum Yung Ho New Member

Hey Vishnu,

Great idea. I'm all for option 1 and it looks like some of the heavy weights around here agree.

Out of curiosity, what are some of the specifics in regards to the new forum software improving the user experience?

Also, you might consider putting up some banner slots. You'd make a killing with sponsors. Perhaps the new software will better enable that capability?

Sum Yung Ho!

14. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

I am with Angie - this is all a bit too techy for little ol' me, but it sounds like option one is good.

Why start all over with the getting indexed? [​IMG]

But then I know so little about software that I really should just stay mum - whatever you do Vishal will be jest fine by me. [​IMG]

15. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao: Good news! I think I can go ahead with Option 1 without any adverse side effects. The Xenforo support team told me that they can setup redirects from old to new urls. That's a great relief for me. Will post the upgrade schedule shortly.
    Oops! I actually meant I could go ahead with option 2.

16. happywife

happywife Gold Member

As long as they're sure you won't be hurt by it. That would be too sad after all your years of work.

Keep us posted!
    Blessings,
    Angie

17. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Vishal P. Rao: Oops! I actually meant I could go ahead with option 2
    "Where there's a will there's a way!"
    Thanks for taking the time to investigate the options.
    Wishing you a flawless, fast, and easy transition.

18. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Vishal P. Rao: Oops! I actually meant I could go ahead with option 2.
    Don't forget to keep a back up of the miniBB handy... just in case! [​IMG]

Hermas

19. Sum Yung Ho

Sum Yung Ho New Member

Hi Vishal,

Didn't mean to address you as "Vishnu". Not sure how that happened but it's probably the reason you didn't answer my question.

*sniff*

Sum Yung Ho!

20. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Sum Yung Ho: Didn't mean to address you as "Vishnu"
    Freudian slip? I think if fits Vishal perfectly.