My first lens.

Discussion in 'Squidoo' started by kmstudio, May 1, 2012.

1. kmstudio

kmstudio Member

I posted my first lens this morning. I have no idea what I'm doing so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

http://www.squidoo.com/soda-can-art

2. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Great job, especially for a first lens!

Hermas

3. kmstudio

kmstudio Member

A8ch
    Thank you! [​IMG]

4. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

You did a great job with your first lens.

I think that you also want to make your graphics a little smaller. They are a little too big.

5. kmstudio

kmstudio Member

talfighel
    Thanks! And I agree - I will resize those today [​IMG]

6. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

Good job! I would make your introduction a bit longer. Keep creating these. Squidoo alone now pays all my bills and supports me full time via clickbank and a few other affiliate links. Don't give up.

7. kmstudio

kmstudio Member

robinincarolina
    Thank you very much for the encouragement! I will definitely be keeping at it. Now that I've done my first one, I feel a little bit more confident I can keep going with it.

8. Matt Zenittini

Matt Zenittini Silver Member

kmstudio: Now that I've done my first one, I feel a little bit more confident I can keep going with it.

I'm super excited for you! :]

9. kmstudio

kmstudio Member

Matt Zenittini
    Thanks Matt. [​IMG] I wouldn't have even ever tried it if it wasn't for you!

10. kmstudio

kmstudio Member

So, I have a quick question as far as this goes. I'm hoping that maybe some of you squidoo users can help me with this. I have read that I am supposed to write articles on my topic and link back to my squidoo but I am clueless as to what I am supposed to write. Since I am doing mainly how-to's for my squidoos to make it a little more fun and interesting for me, is there any way to incorporate this into articles. Also, I've been told that the articles are a huge part of the process... is this true? And how many different places do you typically write articles at? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

11. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

kmstudio: Also, I've been told that the articles are a huge part of the process... is this true?
    It's true!

kmstudio: Since I am doing mainly how-to's for my squidoos to make it a little more fun and interesting for me, is there any way to incorporate this into articles.
    You can write a series of articles (400-500 words) on different aspects of what goes into creating your art, and submit them to the top article directories. In the resource box of each article you place a link to your Squidoo lens (blog, squeeze page, or other web asset) so that readers can go there to find out more about the subject.

Articles directories are websites that people (webmasters, ezine publishers, bloggers, marketers, readers) go to for information on a range of subjects. They have permission to republish these articles "as is" on their websites, blogs, newsletters and so on.

This can result in viral exposure for the authors, which gets them increased traffic, more leads, more subscribers and more sales. You can do a search for "article marketing tips" to learn more about this marketing strategy.

Below is a short list of top article directories. Take a look at these sites and check out the articles to get a feel for how it's done.

1. EzineArticles.com
    2. ArticlesBase.com
    3. GoArticles.com
    4. IdeaMarketers.com
    5. Amazines.com
    6. SelfGrowth.com
    7. ArticleAlley.com
    8. ArticleCity.com
    9. ArticlesFactory.com
    10. A1Articles.com

Hope you find this useful.

Hermas

12. kmstudio

kmstudio Member

Thank you for all the info! I appreciate it. Not sure what you mean by aspects that go into my art? If I am supposed to write an article for each subject and I do how tos, do i basically write my steps over again and explain them in more detail? orrr? haha. I'm sure I sound completely clueless. :/

13. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

kmstudio: If I am supposed to write an article for each subject and I do how tos, do i basically write my steps over again and explain them in more detail?
    Not really. The articles are intended to stimulate the reader's curiosity. They should reveal just enough information to be useful to the reader, but leave out sufficient that they are compelled to check out your Squidoo lens to get the rest.

You could write in general terms about what is involved in creating soda can art and then send readers to your lens to find out how to do what you talked about in the article.

You could write about:

- safety and the importance of using the right tools to get the best results
    - why you recommend a kevlar cut free glove over some other kind of glove
    - what type of soda can designs and colors make the most attractive art
    - the variety of shapes and sizes that can be used in this kind of art
    - what things too absolutely avoid
    - places people can go to get soda cans
    - soda can art as a fun and creative way to recycle and save the environment

Give if some thought. You'd be surprised how many different angles you could come up with to spark interest in the subject.

Hermas

14. kmstudio

kmstudio Member

Awesome. Thank you soooo much! That helped a ton. I feel a lot better about writing articles now. One more question, if I write an article for one of the websites above, is it ok to copy/paste it to the other websites or does that show up badly? Should I just chose one of the above? Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

15. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

kmstudio: Should I just chose one of the above?
    As a group those particular sites mentioned above account for a huge chunk of article marketing traffic anyway, so I would use them all. Even though there may be some overlap in readership, your articles will be exposed to a much wider audience.

kmstudio: One more question, if I write an article for one of the websites above, is it ok to copy/paste it to the other websites or does that show up badly?
    While you could copy/paste the same article to other websites, the problem is, you will significantly diminish the benefits.

Article marketing is used to get traffic AND incoming links to your web pages. The incoming links are so that your web pages can enjoy a better position in the SERPS (Search Engine Results Pages). Google filters pages that have identical content from its results, so you wouldn't enjoy any "link juice" from duplicating articles.

To maximize the benefits and get more mileage out of each article, the smarter approach would be to edited each article slighty. You could consider changing the article title, re-wording the opening paragraph and/or random paragraphs in the body, as well as changing the anchor text in the resource box.

You could "mix and match" this editing approach as you see fit and have the flexibility to use different keywords in those sections. This way the "same" article would be relevant to a wider range of keyword searches, while appearing to the search engines to be completely "different" and unique.

Hermas

16. kmstudio

kmstudio Member

Wonderful! [​IMG] Thank you! I am excited to get working on my articles tomorrow. Your help is greatly appreciated! You definitely sound like you know what you are doing!