My problem with affiliate marketing is...

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by brians34, Mar 30, 2011.

1. brians34 New Member

I want to do affiliate marketing, but I have no idea as to what niche I know enough about or have enough interest in to write about to come up with a whole website concept.

For those that do affiliate marketing, what do you do when you just don't know what to write about next?

I would like to hear stories as to how you got started in affiliate marketing and how you decided on your first niche. Also if your first niche was profitable or is still profitable.

I want to hear some stories to give me a little more boost to get me started.
  2. Just2EZ Gold Member

brians34: enough interest in to write about to come up with a whole website concept.
    Then don't go there yet, hold off on the website till you feel ready.
    In the meantime use classifieds or pay per click advertising for marketing.
    Make a list of your interest and dislikes and work on finding your niche.
    It may be something you are passionately AGAINST instead of like.
    Having your own website is great but affiliate marketing doesn't require it.
  3. zacharias New Member

I would start out with squidoo or blogger for my first website. I have a hard time writing myself. I found that going to library and taking notes from books is a good way to get started.
  4. mountainmom5 Gold Member

brians34: I would like to hear stories as to how you got started in affiliate marketing and how you decided on your first niche. Also if your first niche was profitable or is still profitable.
    I can identify with your questions as I like to do affiliate marketing in a wider niche where you can actually build a 100 page website.

Yes I picked a good niche and yes it is still profitable and yes there are times when I get writers block!

But if you have several niches going you can let one float awhile and work on another one..

Good luck!
    [IMG]
  5. robinincarolina Silver Member

You can also take a very competitive niche and break it down into smaller niches. A highly competitive niche is likely to have tons of choices to spin off of. Don't let high competition scare you.

Let's say you chose online dating which is broad but not as broad as dating. You could break it down further, online dating for baby boomers, online dating for geeks, etc.......
  6. Yeoch Member

brians34: I want to do affiliate marketing, but I have no idea as to what niche I know enough about or have enough interest in to write about to come up with a whole website concept.
    Hi,

If I may say something, I reckon that you are at the soul-searching stage - find out what you like and/or knowledgeable about and what others want.

If I may suggest, go to a big bookstore and browse at the magazine section - what title/topic would you pick up. Do the same for online Amazon. These are titles/topics that your are interested and/or knowledgeable and that have buyers.

Then, use the break-it-down method mentioned by RobininCarolina, to position yourself, even in competitive markets.

Hope what I said help.

Bye
  7. robinincarolina Silver Member

I found my niche by pure accident and have broadened it since. I had just been dumped by my long term boyfriend. I was a mess. I started googling for help to get me through it. I ran across an e-book and purchased it, then landed on a forum where there were other miserable souls.

I discovered I could become and affiliate for that book, and for the forum I landed on. The rest is history.

Two years fast forward and I am now being interviewed by one of the top dating gurus.

Not how I had envisioned it all working out, but it just happened. It's not just luck though. It took a lot of work and a lot of articles to establish myself as an expert in this field.

I am just beginning. Don't give up.
  8. onedumbaussie New Member

I sell products with success in weight loss, mobile phone software and even IM products.

I know NOTHING about most of niches as I get into them for profit, not to learn how to lose 30 pounds in 30 minutes.

For me I bought a set of ready to go Niche blogs that I just customise to suit each niche.

There are 20 of them and I do keyword research to find out what keywords may be less competitive and then lauch them customised to that keyword.

Invite guest bloggers and outsource the articles, I also hand spin so that helps.

SECOND Bit of advice.

If you can do something cool make a video and show people how to do it too.

You would be surprised what people want to know.
    maybe your good at facebook so do a video walkthrough of setting up a face book profile. Maybe do the same for twitter.

ANY SKILL at all people will want to learn, Use keyword tool at google for ideas.

Best wishes

ODA
  9. anthony2313 New Member

Study Ewen Chia and Rosalind Gardner they affiliate marketing masters.
  10. talfighel Silver Member

One of the best niches out there is the work at home and home based business niche. Sure it is very competitive but it has such HUGE potential to those who know what they are doing.
  11. Rach72 New Member

Health, Wealth and Love

Anything to do with these three broad subjects and you are onto a winner - just narrow it down from there.

But that is a big chunk of pie to try and eat straight off the bat, while you are learning this is a great way to go.... break it down into small pieces.

Pick a physical product - go to Amazon, pick a category that you like and look up the best seller list for it - If there are more than 50 reviews then there is definitely a market for the product.

Go to Google external keyword tool and grab a keyword to promote (buy Kindle, Where to buy a Garmin 400 GPS, cheap diamond rings)

Create a Squidoo lens based on that keyword and link back to the product using the Amazon widget

Promote the lens.

You will not make a tonne of money quickly by doing this. I am still waiting for my first lens to make a dime [IMG] but you will learn a whole lot about how the industry works, how to write articles from all angles, what entices readers to click through and how much work it takes to promote a site

You will also get ideas for your own site - or you can just keep creating lens' - its up to you.

You will also find it easier to find other niches and products that you want to promote.
  12. katereber New Member

If you're still not yet ready to go for affiliate marketing, then try to study more..

You can search for the best niche that suites for you..

There's a lot of competitive niche, search it at google.

Best of luck to you, and hoping to start soon on affiliate marketing.