Network Marketing/MLM Business - Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Network/Multi-level Marketing' started by Cally, Jul 14, 2005.

1. piggybanker

piggybanker New Member

Quoting: lickhauCons
    1) High failure rate
    2) Have to learn a lot
    3) Work on your own

High failure rate can be reduced dramatically with marketing training. Today's new business seekers seem to be attracted to audio/video training and if you want to help them succeed they will need to Learn To Earn as soon as possible.

Having to learn a lot I'll admit is a con I'm unsure how to overcome.

Working on your own (is not a con IMO) was one of the biggest reasons I sought out online marketing. I was tired of working for someone else, but I admit, it's been lonesome in the saddle since my horse died.

2. coreyjroman

coreyjroman Silver Member

I tell you this... The number 2 most common reason why people fail is because they surround themselves with mediocre and negative "friends", "family" and "acquaintances". People who say stuff like:

Quoting: NaysayersStick with what you know, your ideas are a waste of time, you can't do it, give up and many more

You need to distance yourself from people who do this and surround yourself with positive people who say things like:

Quoting: YeasayersStick with it, your ideas are wonderful, you can do it, don't give up and much more

People who have no faith in you and don't encourage you to better yourself are not your friend!

3. cyberchick

cyberchick New Member

Do you realize, that the biggest company in the USA are also based on a Network marketing business model?! Look at Walmart, Amazon, and countless others. I believe the model in itself is genius, but as about 95 % of people in the Industry fail, by giving up eventually, it is often a bit downplayed on how cheap it is to get into. When you go to a meeting, or you get signed up, they always talk about the low cost starting investment, which is correct. But nobody ever tells you about how much money it will cost you over time for advertising, website costs, business running costs, and travel to all the hyped up events! I belive in honesty upfront, and thats probably why I didn't recruit thousands as I must have scared them off before they tried [​IMG] I just couldn't lie to people and pretend it is that easy, as it is made out at the meetings!!

4. ESS

ESS New Member

In MLM the key to being in the 5%(successful) and not the 95%(unsuccessful) is mentoring.
    Why is franchising the most successful business model? It is because there is a system to follow which includes ongoing support and training(mentoring).
    Because of the low start-up investment in MLM you attract many folks who are not self motivating or business savvy. Thus if there isn't a strong mentoring program or upline mentor to guide them they give up/quit, or as the negatroids call it, fail.
    Look for a solid debt free company with a product that is in demand, and, most importantly, make sure your sponsor is willing to take you by the hand and lead you every step of the way.
    BUT, you yourself must work hard, invest in your business and eventually go from student to teacher/mentor to your people as well, if you want to be in the 5%.

Jeff

5. CThompson

CThompson New Member

It is the most eqal opportunity available in the world.

Belief in the company
    Belief in the product
    Belief in the industry
    Belief in your self

100 percent on all four and you will be successful.

Warmest Regards,
    Christina

6. RayvinAndRob

RayvinAndRob New Member

Hi Cally,

Look for company management with experience, timing in the company and the industry, a remarkable product, a compensation plan that pays its part-timers and a duplicatable system.

In a nutshell, those are the five essential pillars every company must have in place for YOU to be successful.

I'm glad I discovered these pillars before I chose the company we're with!

Respectfully,

Rob Nyte

7. Gelitis

Gelitis New Member

Excellent! well said.

8. Gailtravel

Gailtravel New Member

I believe that it works if YOU are willing to work. Think about it like a brick and mortar business. You have to invest in it. You have to be creative. You have to treat it like a job. Determine what hours and days you are going to work on it and Be there!! On time!! Find a mentor who is successful and follow them!

I follow those who have been successful. I have a friend who is mentoring me and I am duplicating her like she's my twin! She is a great role model.

9. jschuman

jschuman New Member

Pro: 5% succeed

Con: 95% fail

As a business model the average person will never succeed because they can not sell anything. A person who will become above average can some make money. Like anything else in life people who are overachievers and never give up can make a lot of money in mlm if they learn the skills to do it and then apply what they learn. The proof is out there for everything I have just written.

10. CThompson

CThompson New Member

Hi Jeff,

I do not sell anything.
    People come to me asking me to get them what I got.
    They call me and I am a phone order taker.
    Or they can go on line themselves and order what they want.
    I do not sale.

I do not stock pile products.
    My company drop ships everything.
    This is the 21st century.

Your numbers are wrong.

[Link removed - Admin]

Christina Thompson
    3609 W. Galveston ST
    Chandler, AZ 85226
    (480) 556-1231

11. CThompson

CThompson New Member

12. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Network marketing is what will create the next wave of millionaires - the pro side is huge and unlimited - the con side is that we get paid what we are worth!![​IMG]

I highly suggest for anyone getting involved in network marketing to invest into your own personal development.It is a people business - I ditto Christina.Read books by people that can help you get where you want to go.Much success to you!

13. CThompson

CThompson New Member

Do read Paul Zane Pilzner The Next Trillionaire pdf

http://files.meetup.com/261935/Nexttrillain.pdf

It is a free read it is excellent information too.
    Generic too.

Warmly
    Christina Thompson
    3609 W. Galveston ST
    Chandler AZ 85226
    (480) 556-1231

14. PeterB

PeterB New Member

Pros:

- Chance to earn incredibly much money
    - You can change poeple's lives
    - Helping others with the right products

Cons:

- If the cost of staying in business are more than 75US/months
    - Useless products that cost too much
    - Some payplans are unfair, so look at it closely!

Regards, Peter

15. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

There are many versions of MLM. Most claim not to be an MLM business since it doesn't match every element of the original "Ponzie Scheme", the original pyramid scheme.

If there is any element of MLM present, it is an MLM business. If you here something like "2 up" or "downline" realize that this MLM business is trying to stealth their true nature - MLM.

If you have to pass up your commision even once, it is a scam. You deserve to be compensated for your hard work each and every time. Watch out for MLMs that charge to enter the "pyramid" regardless of what they call it. If there is a good product, they should be content in paying you commissions from the start to promote their product without their having to pay for advertising.

Additionally, there must be a high quality product before you consider buying in. If there is no high quality product - including nice accomodations in a vacation package - then don't even consider buying in.

AND THE LIKE!

NS

16. rhondap

rhondap New Member

Quoting: Newbie ShieldIf you have to pass up your commision even once, it is a scam. You deserve to be compensated for your hard work each and every time. Watch out for MLMs that charge to enter the "pyramid" regardless of what they call it. If there is a good product, they should be content in paying you commissions from the start to promote their product without their having to pay for advertising.

So Real Estate is a scam? Brokers generally get a portion of the sales commissions made by the agents in their offices forever. Isn't it a similar compensation structure for car salesmen and I believe hairdressers as well?

17. CThompson

CThompson New Member

Quoting: rhondap
    Quoting: Newbie Shield
    If you have to pass up your commision even once, it is a scam. You deserve to be compensated for your hard work each and every time. Watch out for MLMs that charge to enter the "pyramid" regardless of what they call it. If there is a good product, they should be content in paying you commissions from the start to promote their product without their having to pay for advertising.

So Real Estate is a scam? Brokers generally get a portion of the sales commissions made by the agents in their offices forever. Isn't it a similar compensation structure for car salesmen and I believe hairdressers as well?

Hi Rhonda, Your totally correct and since I was a liscensed realetor
    in the 80s I can share with you that there is ZERO residual income
    and all the TOOLS are your out of pocket expense.
    Become a property manager with fees and you still do not have the FREEDOM to do what you want when you want and with who you want.

My daughter is a hair artist and she pay for the station and buys ALL her TOOLS and hair products out of pocket too. She pays for all her advertisement, word of mouth is her best advertisement.

Hi Newbie, plz keep investigating. Not all MLM are companies are Scams. I will agree with you that there are mlm scams. Just like their are good and bad in most things.

It is a beautiful FALL EQUINOX.
    Warmly
    Christina Thompson

18. westfam11

westfam11 Member

Not all MLM companies are scams. I am currently in one that is definitely not. It is a travel company. It has a very low price to come in ($119.95) and currently you are able to upgrade to a Certified Travel Agent for the same price as RTA (Referral travel agent). They will also waive your $49.95 monthly travel web portal fee for three months because they are so sure that you will make money by then and then you won't have to pay for it out of pocket, it will come out of profits.

David Manning, President of Traverus Travel, is constantly looking for ways to help us make and keep more money. He is all about helping all of us, not just the ones at the top. And it is a true product. We can take great member trips for pennies on the dollar. I will never have to pay retail for travel again. It is a win-win situation for all of us.

So please don't lump all of the MLM's in the same boat so to speak. They are NOT all the same.

Becky

19. Hai

Hai New Member

20. BeAChampion

BeAChampion Member

Quoting: Vishal P. RaoAdvantages:

1) You are your own boss and you get to set your own working hours.

2) Very minimal startup costs compared to starting a franchise/brick and mortar business.

3) Established infrastructure/plan.

4) Regular motivation in form of seminars/cassetes/success stories (depends on the company).

5) Presence of a sponsor/mentor to guide you throughout.

Those are some great Pros.

Definitely, the start-up cost and the potential for unlimited income is probably the best in this type of business model than any other in the world.