New and Confused about Working From Home?

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by Matt Zenittini, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Matt Zenittini

Matt Zenittini Silver Member

I considered myself new and confused my first 2 years in online business.

I think most people have at least dabbled in the idea of finding some way to make extra money, or a full time income from home. The reality is, most people who try will fail.

If you are on here and serious about making some extra money from home.. These tips should help.

1. Pick ONE thing and master it.

Often times it's easy to get bombarded with lots of different things people say work. So we jump on board and "try it out" and when it doesn't work on to the next. It doesn't take long to get burnt out and give up on your home business if you have no cashflow! Lots of "gurus" out there say you need multiple streams of income and don't put all your eggs in one basket.

I say: "Put all your eggs in one basket and watch that basket." Andrew Carnegie

No successful person starts out with more than 1 business.. You don't need multiple streams of income. If you can't build one, you sure can't build 5. Not to mention it's so easy to get overwhelmed.

Start with one.. Master it.. THEN look for more ways to make money if you want.

2. Dedicate consistent time to working your business.

Consistency is very important in your business. If you don't treat it like a real business it's not going to pay you like a real business. It's easy to fall in and out of motivational spurts in your business.. But being consistent about your work in this field will really pay off. Dedicate 2 hours per day at least and actually work during them.

3. Don't waste your money.

This goes along with number one. If you just get one thing and stick to it, you won't end up wasting your money on 1000 different courses or vitamins and deciding it's all one big scam when it doesn't work. Find ONE good way to build your business and invest in it. Don't run around buying everything.. You don't need it all. When you get good with what you learned.. move on and buy another course. Develop your skills. You don't need to buy every course out there to start.. That's overwhelming.. Take it in steps and learn the steps by applying them.

4. Find a mentor who is successful in what you want to do.

If you want to do Mult-Level-Marketing, find a team that has a proven process for you to plug into to make money. LEARN that process and apply it!

If you want to do affiliate marketing, find someone who is successful in affiliate marketing and get advice on courses or starting points. Keep in touch with them and learn and get help from them over time. You would be surprised how many successful people on this forum are ready to help you.. Which leads to number 5.

5. Give as much as you can and strive to be the best version of you.

Giving to others and helping others not only makes you feel good but it makes you LOOK good!

This is especially relevant in MLM or Network Marketing. When you give and help others people see you as a good person to get in business with because they know you will help them! There are so many people struggling online that really need the help.

When you get started you start off learning, but even from the very first thing you learn you now have value to give back and to help others with.

Say you join a network marketing company and you learn the process that team uses to be successful. You now know a successful process for someone to make money on the internet. You now have VALUE to give back.

Say you get started in affiliate marketing and you read One Week Marketing Plan. You know understand how to market a niche in a week and have value to give back to teach people.

Always give what you can and be the best person you can be.. Why not? It feels good and I guarantee it will come back to you [​IMG].

If you follow this advice when you get started, you will greatly increase your chances of success in your home business.

Any questions about getting started in something specific just reply to this post. There are lots of members eager to help you :].

Matthew Zenittini
    Christianne, mbasa and Azmos like this.
  2. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

Excellent advise, may I add one more.

#6 Invest into your self. I can't tell you how valuable this has been to me to seek out coaching on self improvement. If I improve myself, my business improves.
  3. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Active Member

Spoken well from a man who has stayed focus during the trying times to achieve success in the networking business, the best of home businesses to be a part of.

I do suggest multiple cashflow methods, its not as difficult as most make it but you have to have the right flow of those multiple income streams. However, for some one business is sufficient, for others they make the blend work, like a mutual fund.

If one is not making it check your marketing, and check it again. There no such thing as "I can't recruit" if you are still willing to learn and apply what successful people do.
  4. Matt Zenittini

robinincarolina: Excellent advise, may I add one more.
    Thanks! [​IMG]

robinincarolina: #6 Invest into your self. I can't tell you how valuable this has been to me to seek out coaching on self improvement. If I improve myself, my business improves.
    I completely agree! Anyone looking to get started in affiliate marketing should definitely contact Robin to get pointed in the right direction. She did in a very short time what most people never do.

FreeCashMan: Spoken well from a man who has stayed focus during the trying times to achieve success in the networking business, the best of home businesses to be a part of.

Thanks! [​IMG] That is is!

FreeCashMan: I do suggest multiple cashflow methods, its not as difficult as most make it but you have to have the right flow of those multiple income streams. However, for some one business is sufficient, for others they make the blend work, like a mutual fund.
    I'm not opposed to it.. But I feel for the average new person this can be overwhelming. I definitely recommend building multiple streams once you are successful with one though. BUT the great thing is, everyone can do it the way that suits them best because we don't have bosses! [​IMG].

FreeCashMan: If one is not making it check your marketing, and check it again. There no such thing as "I can't recruit" if you are still willing to learn and apply what successful people do.
    Well said!

Matt
  5. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Great thread and advice Matt.
    However, I totally disagree on the multiple streams of income...
    Matt Zenittini: You don't need multiple streams of income.
    Having promoted the MSI audio book since 1995 I may sound a bit biased.[​IMG]
    1st reason to have multiple streams is in case the market changes and it does.
    What was selling like hotcakes yesterday could be obsolete tomorrow.

A 2nd reason to have Multiple Streams of Income is when they complement each other.
    For example I host and design websites for local businesses and artists.
    (that was just a hobby that took a life of it's own over time)
    That is getting 2 separate streams of income from the same customer.
    Besides that I charge them for photography, tech support, SEO work and more.
    Plus, if they have something to sell I often get a cut of the on-line sales.
    If they don't have something to sell they can become an affiliate under me.
    That's half a dozen incomes from just one "J.O.B." of designing websites.

Yes they need to master one thing first,
    that is the Primary Source of Income.
    The one that keeps the lights on so to speak.
    For many that is a traditional J.O.B.
    Multiple Streams is a safety net.
    Lose the J.O.B. not the Income.
  6. Matt Zenittini

Just2EZ: Yes they need to master one thing first,
    that is the Primary Source of Income.
    I think multiple streams is good. Just not for beginners. Even if they compliment each other. I would say pick web hosting or pick design and learn the business, get it going. THEN move into the other.

I'm not against it, but beginners need a starting point.

Just2EZ: Great thread and advice Matt.
    Thanks [​IMG]. I appreciate it!

Just2EZ: A 2nd reason to have Multiple Streams of Income is when they complement each other.
    Great feedback!
  7. weblogger

weblogger New Member

If i can add to the advise list it would be
    "learn many things but do one thing to your best..."

from my online experience [​IMG]
  8. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

GREAT advice Matt. Thank you for taking time to write it!
  9. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Matt Zenittini: No successful person starts out with more than 1 business.. You don't need multiple streams of income. If you can't build one, you sure can't build 5.
    I think what Matt is saying here is that you don't need to start out with multiple streams of income. Before you can get to 3 you must get pass 1 and 2. You've got to create the first one first.

Just2EZ: 1st reason to have multiple streams is in case the market changes and it does.
    What was selling like hotcakes yesterday could be obsolete tomorrow.
    Things can change even quicker than that. What was selling like hotcakes yesterday could be obsolete today and completely forgotten tomorrow, making a strong case for the practicality and wisdom of multiple streams of income... after you've figured out how to create the 1st one.

robinincarolina: #6 Invest into your self. I can't tell you how valuable this has been to me to seek out coaching on self improvement. If I improve myself, my business improves.
    Excellent point! Too bad this is an area that so many people neglect. If you accept that your success is proportional to your level of competence, then you can see that by improving yourself you naturally create more room and potential for growth.

Interesting thread!

Hermas
  10. Matt Zenittini

A8ch: I think what Matt is saying here is that you don't need to start out with multiple streams of income. Before you can get to 3 you must get pass 1 and 2. You've got to create the first one first.
    Yes, I think Gurus make people feel like they HAVE to "have this" or "do that" to be successful.

You don't. Just do the actions and focus on one thing.

Expand later [​IMG]

Matt
  11. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

12. 88Style

88Style New Member

These are all great tips. I have a few more to add that I've found incredibly useful:

Don't worry about your office - Many sites talk about setting up a home office and making sure that it is carefully planned and comfortable. The content of the office is not really important. Your chair does not have to be comfy, your desk organized, because you can get up at any time, and nobody will complain about your messy desk.

Take breaks - Most people will tell you to use your time as efficiently as possible and stay clear of all distractions. This is not at all like an office job where you may get a cup of coffee, gossip with coworkers, etc. Nobody works 8 hours straight, and if you force yourself to do this at home you will find your job miserable.

Don't eat during your breaks - Eating too much can slow you down during the day and working from home allows you to do just that. Unlike in an office where you have a certain amount of time to eat, you have all day while working from home. Limit your food breaks to a lunch and if you need to snack, don't do it too often.

Realize the benefits - You may not have a 401 or benefits, but working from home has little benefits like being able to get more household chores done and allowing you to maintain a lower stress level. Focusing on the positive aspects of working from home can help you think of a reasons to keep at it.
  13. robpenn

robpenn Member

I agree about finding a mentor.

Example of a bad mentor;

"I earn $5000 a week, I will tell you how if you pay me $49"

Example of a good mentor;

"Take a look at all my free teaching videos so that you can understand exactly how to make money online before you pay a cent for anything"
  14. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Yes, this is one of the best investments you can ever make in your lifetime. You got to work on self development by reading motivational books like think and grow rich and the magic of thinking big.

You got to do this every single day even though you may be experiencing hardship and setbacks in your life.
  15. mlegaspi

mlegaspi New Member

Great advice that's really important to know!

Lucky for you its only two years. I've suffered for four years before getting my head on straight. I swear, newbies can really get sucked into all the marketing online noise. Its just this year I've started seeing great results.

If only I did this sooner.

Melanie
  16. Greatwoman

Greatwoman New Member

Thanks, Matt. I just started an mlm business and I'm struggling to make it work. But the myriad of voices on the internet advertising one mouth-watering offer or the other nearly made me abandon my primary business. I agree with you: it's better to do one business at a time in order not to lose focus.
    I must commend this forum. I had been reading through various posts on this forum a few weeks before I finally registered. The posts are awesome. Thanks to all the forumites.
    Just2EZ likes this.
  17. Wayne Miller

Wayne Miller Member

It's possible to bring multiple streams of income under one roof so to speak. If someone needs training they may need a site or hosting or an autoresponder. They may need someone to do graphics or any number of things. There is no reason why that can't be provided all in one place.
  18. amicof

amicof Member

19. Wayne Miller

Wayne Miller Member

We all have trouble when we begin online, it can be for a number of reasons. We've been very happy with the way things have come together on our site and we see ourselves gaining ground everyday. It hasn't been easy and patience may have been the one thing we've been the most short on, however now that it's all coming together we're so glad we stuck it out!
  20. amicof

amicof Member

It is absolutely true that in order to be successful online you need a mentor.
    However, most newbies by into the idea that you need to spend 1000s on mentors and training. Since most people don't have all that money (they are actually trying to make it LOL), at the end of the day, they end up doing nothing, saying to themselves that they can't afford a good mentor. This, very often become a good excuse for accepting the status quo.

Guys, you don't need to spend a lot of money in training. Actually there's a ton of completely free courses out there. So, if you are really determined to change your financial situation, start taking action.