New to MLM, looking for advice!

Discussion in 'Network/Multi-level Marketing' started by elprinci585, May 25, 2012.

1. elprinci585 New Member

Hello, i'm currently 20 years old. I have a full time job but with a new house i just bought and having a family to take care of, a full time job ain't always enough. Doing some online research, i found that a lot of people succeed at MLM. I like buying and selling stuff or just the idea of running a business. My only problem is that i don't know where to start or what company to trust. I am willing to invest money and dedicate the time needed to build a successful business with hopefully a good income. Notice i'm not trying to get rich, just extra income that will help live a better life. My fiancee once tried selling Avon products and after a while we got tired of the making only 50 - 150 every two weeks. Maybe she didn't put enough effort selling the product but customer service from Avon was horrible and several times there was missing stuff or not as described. If anyone here has any tips, ideas, advices or can help me get started in a good business/MLM. If you have become very successful at making your own business online, i would greatly appreciate you sharing your story and path to success with me, i see a lot of opportunities but afraid of going into something that will take me no where. Thanks in advance!
  2. Kyle_K Member

Hi Manny!

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of great opportunities out there. Also, this is a great forum with some awesome members that have provided TONS of great advice. My advice would be to look for something that offers:

* unique consumable products for everyone
    * high re-order rate
    * low cost/low monthly maintenance
    * fair compensation plan with no break away
    * proven track record; lots of MLM's fail in first 5 years
    * strong leadership team

It's a great idea to add an additional stream of income. The job market and even the stock market are not as dependable as they once were. Adding a home business to your income can really help to sustain your family through any unforseen events.
  3. elprinci585 New Member

Thanks for response Kyle k. What would you guys suggest better, MLM, affiliate marketing or any other? Lately i been reading the affiliate masters course and trying to understand how it all works. A lot of information there but i would prefer knowing first whats the best way to go and dedicating my time on something that i know in the long run, will make decent income.
  4. talfighel Silver Member

Manny,

Welcome to the forum.

I would not recommend regular affiliate programs only because you don't earn residual or leveraged income. I did that for years and you are pretty much wasting your time.

I would recommend network marketing and I have been using the Plug In Profit site for years, which you can see in my sig, and doing well in network marketing.

Network marketing is for the long run.
  5. elprinci585 New Member

Thanks talfighel! I would definitely look into that. I was already getting frustrated with all the e-book reading and research. Some people say buy the courses and some others say to save the money and learn from research online. Would definitely appreciate more opinions on what way to go.
  6. riccstar New Member

Hey Welcome......
    I do agree that a program that offers residual or leveraged income is the best for long term results.

Regular affiliate programs are difficult in that the commissions are usually low as well.

There are programs that offer 100% commissions, residual and leveraged income.....I use one and find it terrific as a stand alone business, but it is also a powerful marketing tool to promote whatever else you are interested in.

Sounds like your expectations are good....your not going to fall into the get rich hoopla.

Like Kyle stated, you can get a lot of info about many programs and opportunities at this site. Just do you due diligence, take your time and you will find something.....

When you do find it, as you said...be prepared to work hard.

Wish I had started at 20! Best of luck!
    Ric
  7. Matt Zenittini Silver Member

elprinci585

I love the MLM business model.

Just make sure you get involved with a team that has a proven plan in place for you to succeed.

This post I wrote a while ago might help you to understand what I do on a daily basis to grow my business.

http://www.work-at-home-forum.com/mlm-5/hate-calling-leads-but-its-all-do-why-21247.html

On a second note I'm 22 [IMG]. I got started when I was 17 and had NO idea what MLM was. You are in at a good time.!

Matt
  8. elprinci585 New Member

riccstar
    I would think MLM is your top choice? I would like something that its simple to manage and wont have me stressing. So far everything ive read about affiliate marketing seems very complicated unless someone that its already successful at it can break it down for me in a more simple way. Maybe im trying to digest too much info at once. I would even be happy with even 100-200 a week i mean any money extra i make its money i didnt have before. Sure ill love to find an opportunity to make enough to support my household and go to school get real education in a career i love doing but i dont see that happening, well not anytime soon.
  9. mountainmom5 Gold Member

We all have our opinions of what works best, according to our own experiences.

I am not sure where Tal gets the idea that affiliate marketing isn't residual... I would think building a good website that will be bouncing around the web for years to come, making you commissions without much upkeep and effort would be considered residual. [IMG]

I do know with MLM there is great residual but not without work as well. I have never met anyone that is successful in MLM that just quit and sat on the beach like so many of the commercials show. If they ARE sitting on the beach, they are still working on their laptops. [IMG]

But that's okay - it just goes to prove that the slothful aren't the ones making all the money.

So regardless what route you take, it takes WORK! Lots of work in the beginning especially.... until you kinda have your brain wrapped around it all, then it takes consistency and not giving up, regardless what comes your way.

I would recommend chatting with Matt Z if you want to get into MLM as he seems to be successful AND he would be a great coach for you with a great system to plug you into.
  10. Matt Zenittini Silver Member

mountainmom5: I would recommend chatting with Matt Z if you want to get into MLM as he seems to be successful AND he would be a great coach for you with a great system to plug you into.
    Thanks as always M5 :].

elprinci585

It was nice talking with you today. I know you will be successful in whatever route you end up choosing! You have a lot of determination and great reasons WHY you need to succeed.

Keep in touch!,

Matt
  11. ResidualIncome New Member

I agree Mountainmom5 Matt Zenittini
    is SUCH an Asset!!
  12. Matt Zenittini Silver Member

Thank you Brad!

I need to help you with your links. The code needs tweaked a little!

Matt
  13. FreeCashMan Active Member

mountainmom5: it just goes to prove that the slothful aren't the ones making all the money.
    That about sums it up. Success in network marketing or affiliate marketing comes to those who work. Just like any business that one may pay thousands for such as a franchise.

What do the successful ones work on...Marketing. There isn't any magical marketing method that manifest instant success but consistent and effective marketing produces success.

Tip for people getting started. Look at your business as building a retirement fund. If you quit after 30, 60, 90 days, or anytime in the first few years, you won't be retiring on that money, and likewise you won't have a powerful network marketing team that pays you when you are at the beach with your laptop [IMG]

Find a business you like, doesn't mean it will be your last, and then focus on marketing. The sad truth is too many focus on the money. Be it the opportunity to make it, or the start up and monthly cost to sustain it, when they should focus on the marketing that produces the money. Your business cost are going to be what they are going to be. Your marketing won't change because you jumped to another opportunity, notwithstanding their are times to jump

What do the winners in network marketing do....they market their business consistently and effectively. Matt learned to do this he then found success. In doing so, the end result by default is success.
  14. CherylAH New Member

When I was doing my research as to what home based business I wanted to have I spent alot of time focusing on the industry that would give me the largest potential client base. I chose healthcare because at one time or another everyone visits the dentist and doctor. I didn't want to take someone's word for how great a certain business was, so I experienced it myself utilizing a 2 week trial. I didn't want to waste my time and money on something that wasn't a good fit for me. You really need to take the time to put together a comprehensive marketing plan and then execute that plan. You'll learn what things get results and what doesn't and adjust accordingly.

And most importantly, don't give up!! Having your own business takes work. Keep a positive attitude and keep moving forward. Best of luck to you.
  15. luvbodybyvi New Member

elprinci585: Notice i'm not trying to get rich, just extra income that will help live a better life. My fiancee once tried selling Avon products and after a while we got tired of the making only 50 - 150 every two weeks. Maybe she didn't put enough effort selling the product but customer service from Avon was horrible and several times there was missing stuff or not as described. If anyone here has any tips, ideas, advices or can help me get started in a good business/MLM.
    I haven't read all of the replies to your post, so I might be duplicating information already given, but I would do a few things:

1. Find something that REALLY interests you. Something that you can talk about day and night and never get bored.

2. Do your due diligence on different companies that offer products or services that interest you. What is similar about them? What is different about them? What is a deal breaker for you?

3. There will more than likely be a signup fee, but just be careful...sometimes a low or no signup fee may not always be a good thing. You have to look at the BIG picture...long term. It may be a cheap buy-in, but what do you have to spend each month to remain an active distributor? Sometimes, paying a higher buy-in is better in the long run, especially if your company has low monthly requirements or has ways for you to get free product, but still get the volume for that free product, like my company does.

I quoted the thing about your fiancee's Avon because you have to think about why she was only making $50-$150 every two weeks. Avon sells extremely low-priced items, so you can't make all that much when you're already selling products at low prices. You would have to sell A LOT of product and have a LARGE team selling A LOT of product to make anything worth while. I'm not knocking Avon...I'm just trying to put into prospective for you why the commissions are low.

I wish you luck in your search. You may have found something by now, I don't know. Good luck to you!
  16. crisstar Member

There's some great, good, and not so good advice here...but that's just my opinion;)

First and foremost there are hundreds and hundreds of companies out there. There's no way in the world you'll even want to try all the products and/or go through all these companies just to pick one. Remember you're going into business to fill the needs of consumers and in turn make money.

With that said whatever company you choose make sure you pick one that has products/services people want and are actively buying.

Is there one industry that you're drawn to more? When I say industry I mean health and wellness, personal care/cosmetics, travel, etc...

It does help to be in an industry you like but you must make sure that the company has products/services that people want to buy.

Remember if you choose a traditional mlm you will be building a sales force/team. You'll get residual income but it can take you a couple of years or so to build it large enough to make decent money. Check the comp plan of the company you're looking to partner with.

If you want to get bigger commission checks, which sometimes comes at the expense of not having a built-in residual income, look at direct sales companies that have higher payouts.

Hope that helps.