New to West, questions....

Discussion in 'West at Home' started by ShawnFL, Nov 12, 2008.

1. ShawnFL

ShawnFL New Member

Hi,
    I was just hired by West and the only thing I have left to do is sign up for my initial skill. The only one they have available right now is Direct Response. It doesn't really appeal to me because I don't want to have sale anything to anyone when they call or have to read from a script. Is it as bad as I've been reading about? Also will other skills become available or is only having one there the norm? How long to do I have before I have to sign up for a skill even if I don't like it? I'm scared I will miss out on a job with them and have to start all over. Thank you for any input.
  2. caterina461

caterina461 New Member

I'm new to West too, and in training for DR. I think from what I understand it's the only skill available right now, so I took it. I've read all the negative feedback too, but I'm still giving it a try. The training is easy enough, but a lot of info to absorb. I'm not thrilled about upselling and yes you do have to read from a script, but I don't mind that. I was afraid I was going to lose it too so I signed up for the training, as it told me to sign up within 5 days of being hired. Hope this helps.
  3. ShawnFL

ShawnFL New Member

Well I just went and checked to see if anything else was being offered and now they have VM activation and DR listed. I'm wondering if I wait another day or two if there will be something else. Does anyone know what else they offer during this time of year? or should I just pick one of these?

How long have you been doing the training caterina461? Do you know what the pay will be?
  4. caterina461

caterina461 New Member

i only have DR listed under training VM is not there. [​IMG] i'm not sure what the pay is that's got me puzzled too. i don't know the per minute rate of DR. i've been training 2 weeks, on and off, i have until tuesday to finish.
  5. ShawnFL

ShawnFL New Member

Maybe I better take the VM while I can. I just reread my welcome letter and it stated that based on business needs they will assign a skill to you if one is not chosen and choose a skill within 1 day if you don't want that to happen....ugh!

The not knowing what I'm going to get paid or if I'll get hours I need is kinda making me nervous but I guess since we choose our own hours it shouldn't be too bad, right? How many hours per day do you do training? I have two children in school so I plan on doing the training then or at night when they are asleep. Thank goodness for tivo, lol.[​IMG]
  6. caterina461

caterina461 New Member

the training is selp paced. depending on the skill they give you a set number of hours and days that it has to be completed by, so you'll have no problem scheduling your training around the kiddies. [​IMG]
  7. ShawnFL

ShawnFL New Member

I went back this morning and they had added GE but when I clicked on View Skill it said that recruitment was already closed. I had just looked at the Skill assignment list 8 hours earlier. When do they post these jobs? In the middle of the night? It was midnight when I had last checked. Guess I will try VM.

Thanks for the help caterina461[​IMG]
  8. caterina461

caterina461 New Member

you 're welcome! [​IMG] the only thing i ever see available is DR. [​IMG] am i missing something? nothing else has ever come up. are you just looking at training and view skills? maybe it's because i chose DR already and i guess i need to finish the training and start with it before another one shows up? not sure.....
  9. capricole

capricole New Member

i was wondering if anyone knows what the ranking means and how its possible to move up
  10. capricole

capricole New Member

Hi i was wondering if anyone here could explain the ranking and how it works in regards to the DR skill?

Thanks in advance

Nicole
  11. ShawnFL

ShawnFL New Member

caterina461 I think once you choose a skill you will not be offered any others while your training.
  12. caterina461

caterina461 New Member

yes i think you're right i am going to complete training today and then see what the next step is.

Nicole i'm too new and i don't really know anything about the ranking yet. maybe some of the other threads with the more seasoned veterans can help?
  13. Karileetx

Karileetx New Member

Hi, I just got my first skill last night. It happens to be the one I fear the most DR. I have read so much negative on it that I dread it. I haven't started the training yet. What happens if you resign from the line before you start training? Will the give you another option or do I just need to try it out and maybe it isn't as bas as I read. Thanks!
  14. Rosie1

Rosie1 New Member

Since you all are new to west, could you let me know how long it took west to actually hire you? I have sent in all my paperwork as of last week. I know this company is huge, but what was your experience with waiting to be hired?
    Thanks![​IMG]
  15. ShawnFL

ShawnFL New Member

It all went very fast for me once I received the email request for forms. I faxed my Work Authorization form and the next day received the Welcome letter to sign on and pick a skill. I'm not sure why I got "lucky", it seems half of us have a quick hire and the other half takes longer. Maybe it just depends on who gets your name at the office.
  16. ShawnFL

ShawnFL New Member

Karileetx, I'm new too but from what I understand if you resign before you even start it takes a while to get offered another skill. There really doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason when it comes to the skills. Good luck
  17. Rosie1

Rosie1 New Member

Thanks Shawn! I think your right..some people get the go head rather quickly while others are waiting months. Wish me luck[​IMG]
    Hopefully, I won't get the DR skill..lol! Seems everyone prefers other skills over that one[​IMG]
  18. Karileetx

Karileetx New Member

Shawn thanks so much for the reply. Wow, I had a few mistakes in spelling on that question! [​IMG]
    Thank you for the good luck wish. I think I am going to need it!

Rosie - I wish you good luck on being a quick hire.
  19. caterina461

caterina461 New Member

I just finished training on DR and had my one on one with a PAL. Now I'm ready to pick up hours and I'm seriously considering whether to just give it a try 30 minutes at a time or resigning from the skill. I am really not comfortable with the apo's and upsells and am really confused on what to do next![​IMG]
  20. Rosie1

Rosie1 New Member

Thanks Karilee! *fingers crossed*
    I think if I got the DR skill though, I would just work it and wait for another skill to arise. Then, jump all over it..lol! Upsells are tough[​IMG]