New website startup?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Shannon1ford, Aug 19, 2009.

1. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Yes, it is per site. I have 6 that I am currently juggling (far too many really, in retrospect), and they are all with SBI so I pay annually for each one. I could learn to put them on Wordpress or somewhere else, but I can't really be bothered when I know what I am doing and getting with SBI. I figure my time is much better spent continuing to build content and grow my business and I've heard too many stories of the difficulty and added expense of building a large niche site on Wordpress, etc. that it just doesn't measure up for me.

I do kind of wish I had stuck to 3-4 sites. ;) Not because of the money, but rather the time expense. I'm at the point that I should outsource a lot of the work, but I made an attempt a few years ago and it turned out as a dismal failure (long story).

Perhaps at some point I'll give it another try to lift some of the load but for most people I would suggest that they start with 1 site and really devote their full attention on it until it is firmly established. Depending on the potential of the subject they choose and their love of that subject, one site may be all they ever need or want to have as a substantial business.

Regardless, you can always add a second or third down the road when you feel firmly established if that's your desire and goal.

I'll look for your email.
    Blessings,
    Angie
  2. rvlady

rvlady Member

Hi Angie, I am really ready to purchase the package but I was hoping you would get a chance to read my comments I put on your private messages here. I hope to hear from you soon on those, God bless, Denise

3. happywife

happywife Gold Member

I already did see your comments and responded. Are you unable to see the response? You got 420 characters, but I was only allowed 140 for some reason! ;) Anyway, in a nutshell, forgiven and forgotten! Don't give it another thought!

Blessings,
    Angie
  4. rvlady

rvlady Member

thanks Angie, I went to look on your profile to see if it had posted there and it was. I just didn't see anything on my profile. I will check my settings for "alerts" etc. to see if I have all that right:)

I read all about what is included in the package. I don't know how to go about purchasing it from you? Will you be my "mentor" or do they assign someone? Is the program truly step-by-step and easy for a beginner to follow? I am not entirely sure of my niche but I am prepared to just start with something that I like. I know they say to get something you have a passion for but I am more the type that likes a lot of things but not "addicted" to any. Hope that makes sense. I love the Lord and can talk about Him all day but even like Jesus, I want a "trade". I am good with computers, research, writing and I am a self-starter so I figure I can be good at this.

You mentioned me sending you an email from your website. I am a bit scatter-brained at times, especially while trying to complete my homework/studies;) God bless your night, I see it is somewhere around midnight where you are, Denise
  5. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi again Denise,

I got your emails and responded to those privately, but I thought I better go ahead and respond here so that anyone coming along reading this thread will still be able to follow the gist of our discussion. ;)

Yes, SBI is very much a step-by-step program that you follow at your own pace. They have a "10 Day" Action Guide that is in both written and video form. It's not meant to be accomplished in a literal 10 days, of course. It's just how they segment the process that takes you from...
    • knowing absolutely nothing to understanding how/why a website business can earn you an income,
    • how to brainstorm ideas on what would be a good niche (subject) for you to pursue - and not just HOW, but actually providing you the research tools to actual do it as you go.
    • how to determine if your potential site concept has good monetization options (so you don't end up with a site that isn't going to make money)
    • how to choose the right domain name and register it
    • how to research the best keywords to target and how to use the keywords on your site
    • how to build a beautiful site using their amazing new site designer/builder
    • how to structure your site (3-tier process)
    • how to build your first page (and every page thereafter) so that you have the best chance of getting found and listed in the search engines
    • ...and so forth.
    The truth is, site building (as a business) is a never ending process really. There's heaps more, of course, but that is getting the ball rolling and I just wanted to emphasize the step-by-step nature of the program.

No, they don't assign "mentors" per se. The Action Guide (AG) is really your mentor, but if you are struggling with a concept/action, they have a private members forum with heaps of members helping each other out. I guess you could say you'd have a lot of potential mentors to choose from! Of course, I'm always happy to help people along, but often my day is your night and vice versa, so the SBI forum is much more practical.

They do have Coaching that can be purchased (by the hour) for those who want some real one-on-one help, but I haven't personally used the service yet. Others who have say it is really good, but I've found I can usually get all the help I need for free in the forum. (Cheeky of me, I know, but it's true!)

For the "spare" site I have available (through a friend), I would have simply had you make payment via Paypal. Having said that, I understand that you've decided to wait and try your hand at learning the ropes on your own instead of using SBI. I just wanted to be thorough in my response. Besides, someone else may decide to give it a try and they could consider that discounted offer ($199 - if it is still available then).

I DO wish you all the very best of success as you launch out and get started. One way or the other, I'm sure you can do it if you stay focused and put your mind to it!

Blessings,
    Angie
    Just2EZ likes this.
  6. Rob VP

Rob VP New Member

w3schools.com is a great place to learn... Feel free to choose how you want to go about building your site. I personally code straight out of notepad or crimson editor. I don't use fancy programs.. because frankly they are over priced in my opinion. If your going to design a full blown website I highly recommend you take the time to learn html, and maybe even php. There are tons of tutorial websites out there.. Start with HTML... build your first page.. tweak it to your liking. I'd even suggest going out and getting a free website template to start. All the code is there are you just change the parts you want. Don't know how to add a link? Search html code link... and you'll find out how. Plug it into your template, see if it works.. Your constantly learning when it comes to coding.. I just created a rotator script for my affiliate page, and I had to keep searching for a way to achieve what I was going for. Now I learned a new technique :). Point, Drag, and click web design programs in my opinion are a waste. They limit your sites potential. If you learn to code, they sky is the limit.
  7. rvlady

rvlady Member

Wow, great thread and I appreciate the link for W3schools. Also about the "learning to code" It sounds so hard to write all the gobbildy gook myself but like Rob said, I could start with a template and just change some things I want to try:) Yeehaw! I like being the "driver" so I may not make money but I am going to have fun building my site. I did choose Hostgator and so far so good:) Lots of help when you need it. I pulled in the WordPress software so that's how I will build my first site:)

Thanks to everyone on this thread, denise
  8. rvlady

rvlady Member

Hi Angie! I appreciate all the help you have given me. I can see why you are such a great success in your life and business. SBI is going to be the "plan" I choose if I cannot get this site to fly on my own. I think I mentioned, I just had to try to see if I had enough of what it takes.

I won't have a lot of time until June (well, I do have Spring Break week. No Homework!! Just my site!!

The folks here are all so great and I have gathered a lot of info on do-it-yourself. I am not under any illusion that you didn't "do-it-yourself" though because I know that SBI just puts all the parts in one place for a person. I know you have worked hard, your sites show that. SBI gives you the tools but you have to use them.

Content will be the big thing for me although I have all sorts of ideas on research and what I might write I do love to write:)

Ok, I am still feeling a bit cruddy this a.m. but have to finish up a big assignment for school (hah, 60 and going to school but I was surprised to see how many others my age have returned as well, I'm loving it!) and then I can have some time to focus in on my site.

big hugs and much appreciation Angie, Denise

9. Rob VP

Rob VP New Member

WordPress is good software. There is an SEO plugin for free that will help make sure your articles are what the search engines want to see. On my teams affiliate page I use wordpress and we are constantly writing articles. Our search engine rankings are climbing by the day. WordPress + Great keyword rich conent + High PR Backlinks that are relative to your site = Search Engine Gold
  10. rvlady

rvlady Member

That explains a lot for me, I so appreciate it. So far today I haven't gotten to do one thing with my new site:( Still on homework. Can't wait to get to it:) Thanks again Rob!! Denise
  11. Rob VP

Rob VP New Member

Your very welcome. If you have any questions or need ideas feel free to contact me.
  12. rvlady

rvlady Member

That's great to know Rob, many thanks, again:) I just finished my homework and am anxious to see how much steam I have left to "play" around with my new site. It's really exciting isn't it, LOL!! Some people probably think I'm nuts, LOL!! ttyl, denise
  13. Rob VP

Rob VP New Member

lol.. it is exciting.. your creating something from scratch.. even it's just a little piece of code. There's nothing better than after making the code, testing it, and watching it work perfectly. It's a series of small accomplishments and at the end you step back and say "I MADE THAT!".. it's amazing. Although it can be bad too lol... there are times i'm heavy into code and trying like hell to get something to work and it's not, and something or someone else is demanding my attention. It gets frustrating because you don't just want to let it go, when you come back you might have forgot where you left off, etc... Programming is fun, exciting, frustrating, and confusing lol.. But I love it! Have fun :)
  14. rvlady

rvlady Member

It's funny but I am nuts about Math. When I am into my assignment (like today with 50 problems to work out) I could have taken a break but I didn't, it's just fun to do. I tried a few years back, to build a site with Dreamweaver. I did go into the "view" that shows the code a few different times because I wanted to customize something. So by doing that I learned a tiny bit. Also, I did a slideshow and had the basic code but had to plug in my own URLs. One "period" can mess the whole thing up I found;)

Anyway, just got back for a great, 2 mile walk that has given me more energy to finish out the day, especially put some time into my page so I am gonna go do that now:) tty later! Denise