Newbie Questions - FlexJobs.com General Inquiry

Discussion in 'Business Opportunities and Programs Reviews' started by Polymorphist, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Polymorphist

Polymorphist New Member

Hello All,

I just found this forum and i'm brand new to looking for part-time online jobs. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions about the site www.flexjobs.com - are they legitimate? They claim to screen-out scams. They have a lot of data-entry jobs, but after poking around on this site I see that the overall opinion of online data-entry jobs is that they are not very legitimate.

Since I'm new, some background about myself and why i'm here which will lead to my final question:

I'm a SQL Server programmer who specializes in SSRS report development. Since SQL Server is a Microsoft product and Microsoft is headquartered in Seattle where I live, this technology is pretty much all I know. I've poked around for project-based tech jobs but most require experience with open-source technologies such as MySQL, PHP, Java and/or general web design or application development. I'm not well-versed in web development (though I can do some, though mostly ASP.NET). So, this is the challenge that I'm having when searching for part-time or project-based technical work. Also, there really aren't many straight SSRS part-time or project jobs out there at all. Ideally, i'd like to find a company that needs help writing SQL queries or pulling data from their databases and providing views or reports.

To supplement my income, I've decided to look at other types of online jobs other than those in the technical arena - data-entry or customer service, etc. However, since I'm new to all of this, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on what the most common types of online jobs are and with the most legitimate and reliable pay, etc.

Thanks!!

2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Polymorphist: They claim to screen-out scams. They have a lot of data-entry jobs, but after poking around on this site I see that the overall opinion of online data-entry jobs is that they are not very legitimate.
    You are right.[​IMG]

Keep in mind that finding an online 'job' where you get paid per piece or by the job is not only hard to find but you have to be willing to work for peanuts.

I have a friend that does some editing, writing etc thru odesk.com and it pays a whopping $2 - $5 an hour.

3. Polymorphist

Polymorphist New Member

Thanks for your reply - i've decided that for supplemental income outside of my professional skills I can deal with lower pay. Ideally, I'd like to do something with SQL and reporting, but this is very hard to find on a part-time or work-at-home basis. I might check with some of the consulting firms here in Seattle, but my experience in working with them is that most work on internal Microsoft corporate projects and MS likes to have technical consultants out on their campus for at least part of the project. This obviously wouldn't work when I already have a full-time day job.

So, peanuts it is for now. It's either this or get a part-time job slinging coffee, which would require that I actually go to a physical location which is what i'm trying to avoid.

4. happywife

happywife Gold Member

SQL, MySql, Php, Java, etc. [​IMG]

They make my head spin! I'm assuming they are all computer languages of some sort.

I hired a programmer through vworker.com last year to design a store feature to my chocolate site that would allow others to sell their goodies from my site (like etsy or ebay, sort of).

Although I can do basic html and build/design my website with SBI, I had to add this on as a subdomain and host it elsewhere (Bluehost). I didn't know what language or program it needed to be written in, but I believe MySql and PhP were used.

All that to say....
    Is SQL something that can be used on it's own to complete programming projects? If so, are you proficient enough in SQL to do that?

Maybe you can browse around odesk.com, elance.com and vworker.com and see if there are some jobs listed that your skill set would match.

If not, those are still some of the most reliable sites to get projects to work on and be paid for them. They generally use a form of escrow so that you don't get cheated out of your pay. It's not foolproof, of course, but fairly reliable.

I'd steer clear of "data entry" as most things I've seen over the years that are advertising that type of work are actually nothing of the kind and will just waste your time and money.

Ultimately, if you can take your own unique knowledge, expertise, hobby, or special interest, and turn it into a niche website you can position yourself well for the long term.

Wishing you the very best at finding something that suits you.
    Blessings,
    Angie