Newbie to on-line earning - advice PLEASE !

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Essen, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Essen

Essen New Member

I am contemplating setting up a website using SBI and wonder if anyone can give any advice on things I should do before actually putting my money where my mouth is and signing up with them.

For example, should I try and have some articles/content ready beforehand and if so how many approximately. Are there other things which I can put in place which might speed things along somewhat once I actually sign up.

Also, once I have taken the plunge and signed up with SBI, how long is it likely to be before my website is up and running/how much time/hours should I allocate to the setting up process.

My website would be an information website but I am thinking of charging a nominal amount for an e-book with a proportion of the proceeds going to charity and would be glad to hear from anyone who has any experience or advice with this.

My objective is to work from home and to start making some money by the end of three months, and to make around US $600 (UK ??400) per month by the end of six months. Does this sound doable and if yes best advice on achieving this please?

Any guidance would be deeply appreciated as I am a complete novice regarding websites and earning on-line.
  2. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

My best advice for you is to do the following:

1. Invest in yourself. Start reading motivational books. This is a must.

2. Also include some sort of a network marketing opportunity with any offers that you add to your site.
  3. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

SBI is a great choice to go with...

Essen: For example, should I try and have some articles/content ready beforehand and if so how many approximately. Are there other things which I can put in place which might speed things along somewhat once I actually sign up....
    no, don't have content or articles beforehand as you may change your mind as you go thru the Action Guide, on what niche you are going with. Believe me, I have done that!

Essen: Also, once I have taken the plunge and signed up with SBI, how long is it likely to be before my website is up and running/how much time/hours should I allocate to the setting up process....
    it all depends on you and how fast you go through the Action Guide...some folks have traffic coming to their sites within weeks, others it takes longer.

I couldn't wait to get my site up and running so I spent hours those first weeks, working through the Action Guide and getting my brain wrapped around the SBI concept.

It all depends on what all you have done otherwise as far as writing content, and internet marketing.

Tip: DO NOT HURRY SO MUCH THAT YOU SKIP ANYTHING IN THE ACTION GUIDE!![​IMG]

Essen: My website would be an information website but I am thinking of charging a nominal amount for an e-book with a proportion of the proceeds going to charity and would be glad to hear from anyone who has any experience or advice with this.
    I don't have advice with that as I haven't done too much with that..

Essen: My objective is to work from home and to start making some money by the end of three months, and to make around US $600 (UK ??400) per month by the end of six months. Does this sound doable and if yes best advice on achieving this please?
    Again, it all depends on so much... your niche, how quickly you get traffic built up ( no traffic = no money!) I would give it longer than that personally so you won't get stressed out over it. I didn't make that much until my second year...

If you can look at it as a source of additional income until you get the ball rolling it will save you a lot of frustration and grief!

Good luck! [​IMG]
  4. Sum Yung Ho

Sum Yung Ho New Member

Joining SBI isn't a matter of hustle. It's a matter of following their steps. Follow them - the videos and PDFs. Plus get help from the forums, but only after you've followed their step-by-step instructions.

Don't think beyond this, just do it.

As an aside, you won't be making $600/month at the 3 month mark. If you're inexperienced, I don't care how good you are, you won't pull it off.

If you do exceptionally well, you might start getting a trickle of income after 6 months.

Good luck,

Sum Yung Ho
  5. Laura Burke

Laura Burke New Member

I don't have advice for you about SBI because I haven't bought it, but I just wanted to say "welcome." As for your monetary/time goals, they're definitely ambitious, but with a lot of hard work you can probably do it. Of course there are a ton of variables in this equation, but perseverance is the key.
  6. robpenn

robpenn Member

With SBI it is not a sprint, it is the slow but sure approach.

You might not even have your site up and running until after a month because preparation is everything. Don't think about time scales.

It is very unlikely you will see a profit in 3 months. You might be a natural and achieve good results in 6 months, but more likely it will take 2 years. Remember you are building a real business here that will last many decades.

You don't need to prepare anything before signing up, just follow the guide.

Think about it this way. You may be building a two hundred page website over the course of 4 years.
  7. woofy

woofy New Member

i advise you to follow what your heart tells you.as long as you have a passion for something and you are determined to do it, you will succeed.
    but i would also advise that you come up with a couple of interesting articles to make your site more interesting and appeasing as well as drum up support for it from among your friends.
  8. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I think starting out with things that are free is the best way to start: Free money making sites, affiliate programs, Google AdSense, etc.
  9. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Active Member

Jump in and "fail forward". Success is the product of doing and not quitting but finding a way to succeed. Especially when you know of others that have done so.

Take the plunge and don't stop until you succeed. Set a goal to earn 10% more monthly than you do (assuming that is not zero), then 20%. Too many want to rush in to earn a full time income. Work your way up to massive success.
  10. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Essen: I am contemplating setting up a website using SBI and wonder if anyone can give any advice on things I should do before actually putting my money where my mouth is and signing up with them.
    The goals you outlined in your post are attainable. All you have to do is acquire and apply the knowledge, tools and strategies that will help you to materialize them. That part is relatively easy.

The greater challenge will be establishing the robust mindset that will double as the fuel and compass for your actions, and that part ought to be in place long before you start putting your money where your mouth is.

That's where you'll pledge to embrace courage, clarity, consistency, commitment and some other elements that are crucial to shaping your attitude for the long haul.

It's your attitude that will become the launch pad for your ambitions. It will keep you forging ahead when the going gets tough and second thoughts start to infiltrate. It's your attitude that will keep you sane in all the madness you will encounter.

Hermas
  11. Essen

Essen New Member

Apologies for the delay in responding to all these thoughtful comments (since starting this thread a relative has been hospitalised and my routine is all over the place).

mountainmom5: Tip: DO NOT HURRY SO MUCH THAT YOU SKIP ANYTHING IN THE ACTION GUIDE!!
    Thanks for the advice about taking time and being thorough with the action guide. I guess you can't run before you can walk!

Re timing and earnings my dilemma is that, for various reasons, our household income is now considerably less than half of what it was a year ago and so there is that pressure. I am keeping an eye out for some very part time work outside the home to tide me over, but don't want to work so many hours that I have no time left to build myself a business or end up putting things on hold indefinitely.

Thanks for the solid advice re preserving, staying motivated and attitude.

FreeCashMan: Jump in and "fail forward". Success is the product of doing and not quitting but finding a way to succeed. Especially when you know of others that have done so.

Take the plunge and don't stop until you succeed. Set a goal to earn 10% more monthly than you do (assuming that is not zero), then 20%. Too many want to rush in to earn a full time income. Work your way up to massive success.
    I confess I had to google exactly what "Fail Forward" meant, but find I identify with this positive principle and so will try and keep it in mind.

Aside from what I have in mind for my website, I do enjoy writing and am thinking of submitting articles to Hub Pages, Squiddo, or e-how (or the like) . I'm assuming it's good to diversity a little rather than have all my eggs in the SBI basket. Also with the distraction of current additional family commitments, I am wondering if submitting articles in this way would be a good place to start with on-line earning, as at the minute it might prove hard to give the Action Guide as much attention as it might merit.

Big thanks for all the encouragement
    Essen
  12. robpenn

robpenn Member

It sounds like it might not be the best time for you to invest in a membership site.

I would go with HubPages. Its free and a good place to learn affiliate marketing.

If you do, you need to decide if you want to use SEO or just write more freely.

If you use SEO in your articles they will take longer to create and look after, but they will bring a lot more commissions. Its a better investment in the long run if you like keywords and backlinks.

Some dont like to use the SEO and they prefer to be more prolific and keep pumping out the articles and let them look after themselves.
  13. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Essen,

Sorry to hear about your relative and sincerely hope that they are improving in health. I know first hand how stressful that can be and how it can make you put your online efforts on the back burner for a little while.

I use SBI myself and echo mountainmom5's sentiments about giving yourself time and following their Action Guide if you want to be successful. If you do end up taking the plunge, it will be important that you focus solely on that and not distract yourself with Hubpages, and other article directories, etc., if you want to make the fastest results.

I'm of the belief that I'd rather be creating/writing content for my own site than for someone else's site. [​IMG]

It definitely sounds like your in a position at the moment that you may find it difficult to focus and you may not have the ready finances to invest in SBI. They do have a monthly payment option, but it's more economical to pay for it annually.

Would it be more sensible for you to wait a month or two and save up the $299 for a one-year subscription? It may give you time to sort out your schedule with caring for your family member and the other things in your life so that you'll be ready to really devote the time you need to making your money worthwhile.

Only you can determine what is going to work best for you in your personal situation. Whatever you decide, I'd encourage you to concentrate on one thing at a time online or you may very well suffer from overload and overwhelm which is the death knell to many new would-be online marketers.

Blessings,
    Angie
  14. Essen

Essen New Member

Thanks robpenn - I note what you say about SEO and having done a little research I think I might be able to apply a very basic level of SEO to hubpages to get me started.

happywife: Only you can determine what is going to work best for you in your personal situation. Whatever you decide, I'd encourage you to concentrate on one thing at a time online or you may very well suffer from overload and overwhelm which is the death knell to many new would-be online marketers.
    Hi Angie - Yes, once I do get started with SBI I would want to devote all my available time to it. Many many thanks for your good wishes.
  15. Essen

Essen New Member

Thanks robpenn - I note what you say about SEO and having done a little research I think I might be able to apply a very basic level of SEO to hubpages to get me started.

happywife: Only you can determine what is going to work best for you in your personal situation. Whatever you decide, I'd encourage you to concentrate on one thing at a time online or you may very well suffer from overload and overwhelm which is the death knell to many new would-be online marketers.
    Hi Angie - Yes, once I do get started with SBI I would want to devote all my available time to it. Many many thanks for your good wishes.
  16. happywife

happywife Gold Member

You're more than welcome. Let us know if you need any help once you start getting your feet wet.

Blessings,
    Angie
  17. Sum Yung Ho

Sum Yung Ho New Member

Essen (Hermas and Angie below): Good, it sounds like you listened carefully to the wisdom in the replies. Likewise, you responded with wisdom. Too bad urgency for income can't help us. In fact, it can only work against us.

We can only be of any good if we strike a good balance between productivity and quality. To be productive, we need to put in quality time. To be creative, we have to be somewhat relaxed.

Sounds like a bummer, but just like you can't slack off, you can't rush creativity too much. Or your articles will come out inadequate or even completely worthless.

Hermas: love the way you talk - so sophisticated and helpful.

Angie: Good SBI guidance. Would you recommend SBI for someone who has a good amount of experience with building sites and using a wide variety of marketing tools? If so, would you mind commenting on that?

Sum Yung Ho!
  18. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Sum Yung Ho: Angie: Good SBI guidance. Would you recommend SBI for someone who has a good amount of experience with building sites and using a wide variety of marketing tools? If so, would you mind commenting on that?
    I suppose it really depends on the person and their genuine skill set. If you already have a good understanding of how to build a website that generate free organic search traffic and you're making satisfactory income doing so, you probably don't need SBI.

If you've got your own private hosting and are not paying an arm and a leg for the thousands of visitors you get to your websites each day, then you probably wouldn't want to bother with SBI either.

Having said that, I know some extremely advanced website developers and skilled marketers that use SBI because they say it just makes good sense to do so. The way the system is set up it cuts down on a lot of the back end work that they would otherwise have to spend time doing themselves.

It's hard to make a judgement call for someone else, of course. I'm no expert, but I think quite highly of SBI because it has been perfect for me. I guess I WOULD recommend it to anyone of any experience level.

Even if someone believes they are more advanced already and don't need it, it may not be a bad idea to take it for a test drive for a few months and see if they're right. SBI has a 90 Day money back guarantee, so it's worth seeing for themselves.

Sometimes, we don't know what we don't know until we are confronted with it.

Blessings,
    Angie

P.S. To be perfectly honest, their private members forum alone is worth the $25-$30 a month that the program costs for the whole shebang. [​IMG]