NHE Certification

Discussion in 'Business Opportunities and Programs Reviews' started by Kritter, May 27, 2009.

1. AshleySullivan

AshleySullivan New Member

Hi April, You ask a good question. It's hard to say, from what I know about exams and from people that I went to school with or colleagues of mine, it's about knowledge, confidence and articulation abilities. I think that your knowledge level is only a portion of what it takes to pass these types of exams and that may be why well educated people fail the bar exam, while others can pass it without ever attending law school. I wish there was some sort of educational formula to passing exams but there really isn't. It's like the driver license test. We all know how to drive, yet we all brush up with the DMV manual before taking a renewal license exam for whatever reason.
  2. April D

April D New Member

AshleySullivan
    Hey Ashley, thanks replying back to me. I do have another question. I am very leary about NHE. No one that I have asked knows about them. I have read on forums that people are having that same concern. Do you work for them currently? I would really love the opportunity to work as an exam proctor. It stated that the pay is 750.00 per 8 hour shift. It does seem too good to be true. There isnt a number where someone will actually answer the line and I emailed a contact, John Caldwell, that hasnt gotten back to me. I guess what I need to know is can I trust NHE? I cant afford to be scamed, I am a single mom with a new born trying to make some money. If I have to purchase the manual will that be only after NHE has already hired me? Sorry so many questions. I am just really interested but concerned at the same time.
  3. AshleySullivan

I'm not sure how being scammed plays into it? There is nothing required to take the exam and if you are a person with credible experience in exercise science, then you should not be concerned about passing it.
    A scam is some promise made to you that requires you to make some sort of payment. I have never met anyone online that claimed NHE promised them anything, particularly a job, if they were able to pass the exam. On the contrary, everyone signs an agreement that states that they acknowledge that they are taking the exam on their own free will and that they are not taking it because they were promised a job. I don't think you can even take the exam if you don't turn that form in.
    If you are referring to the study guides, they are not part of the hiring process at all. If you don't want one, then it shouldn't even enter the conversation. The only people who have a study guide are those who wanted one and everyone else who didn't, possibly used their own study guides from ACE or something.
    It is not unusual that many trainers haven't heard of NHE because their personal trainer programs are very new. If you go to their site and look at the personal trainer section, you'll see where it says new on it. The other certifications do not say that. NHE isn't a fitness organization, it's a health organization that is breaking into the fitness industry so if you ask a trainer about their personal trainer certification they may be clueless.

So don't worry about the exam because it is free and they will not ask you to pay for it even if you fail it. If you can not afford a study guide, even with the employee discount, then do not get one because you do not have to. Many people don't because they are not in a position to or they don't feel they need to. My first exam, I didn't get a study guide and I passed. It was extremely challenging though.
  4. ChristinaM

ChristinaM New Member

I got an email about the proctor job and I'm already certified so it's legitimate. They know I'm certified, not only do I not have to get a study guide but I don't need to take any exams. The pay did seem a bit high but it makes sense because everything is new and they obviously realize the importance of developing a good reputation, which you cannot do with low-income people working for you. My husband used to be a manager at Bally's and he ran three clubs. Back then, we made six figures! Can you believe that? My mom couldn't believe how much money he was making and it was like that for five years until they had all of the good people and a good reputation, after that, his income starting dropping. But it was good while it lasted, all he had to do is show up and sign contracts, I mean a monkey got have done what he did. It was amazing and he loved it. The key is to get in early because only the early folks make all the money.
  5. April D

April D New Member

ChristinaM
    Yeah I hear you on Ballys I used to work for them some years back as a sales manager and I was paid. lol. I will apply because there is no harm in that. I feel that I should have all the information I need to pass the exam. I am currently in school to get my degree as a personal trainer so I have all my books right here on my desk. I think that should be suffice. Did you start working yet?
  6. April D

April D New Member

AshleySullivan
    There were a few people that were asking about NHE in a forum and although most of them didnt know about NHE, there were some that did. The reason I say "scammed" is because there were a few postings online of people who have their BS or masters in exercise science, kinesiology, Nutrition, etc that have been in the industry, one of them said 30 years and could not pass the test. They stated that it seems that you will not pass if you dont use NHE's guide. Look, Im all for a new organization. I know that everyone and everyplace had it's start. From what I read on the website, the test is only free if you get the job. That can be good but then it can be bad. I am really going to want to pass this exam if I want the job so, I may want to get the NHE manual to make sure I get all the answers correct. That is where the word "scam" comes in for everyone that is leary about this. I just dont want to be in a position where I take a test because I really want to believe in this certification and it turns out that there is no way to pass it or I cant use it anywhere. Yet, I have an expensive study manual out of it all. If I have been given wrong information please let me know because from what I understand the only time the exam is free is if a job is offered to you.
  7. April D

April D New Member

April D
    Also I dont think the concern for most people is that they dont have the money to pay for the guide. It doesnt matter if the guide is $20.00, its money that is paid out for potentially nothing. That is the reason for so much research on NHE being legit. No one wants to be out any money and disappointed at the same time. Thanks for your responses. Trust me, I really want this to be real. I haven't heard back from John Caldwell, the contact for NHE jobs after sending him an email twice. What do you recommend?
  8. AshleySullivan

I know which site you are talking about and that entire site looks like the scam. None of the posters are real posters, if you notice they are all anonymous and the site looks really hokey. There are postings with all of these people who have 30 years experience and have multiple degrees in fitness. Well, when I considered that i thought that was a bit strange. That's because these people are at least 50 years old today (providing they started working at a legal age) and I've never met a trainer in her 50's. Also, there wasn't a such thing as an exercise science degree 25 years ago. The only fitness related degree that was around was in health or PE. I think people only say they have decades of experience and college degrees to illustrate their belief that the exam is impossible to pass. They are simply exaggerating to scare people like you away. Their exams are hard without question, but they are not that hard.

As far as what to do, I'd probably stop harassing him. If his goal was to scam you and get you to buy a study guide, he'd probably would have called by now to sell you one. It sounds to me as though he couldn't care less.

The exam is not free only if the job is offered to you. That is reiterated on the information more than once. The exam is free regardless. If you don't pass, you will not hear back from anyone. Your last correspondence will be the letter from the exam department stating they are no longer interested in you and that's it. You're done.

Again, don't buy a study guide if you don't want one. You sound a little edgy about your knowledge level though. You told Christina you had everything you needed to take the exam and then seconds later tell me you want a NHE study guide. You are assuming we all share you level of uncertainty in passing the exam and I don't think so. There are tons of us who are very confident about our understanding of fitness and can take and pass any exam, no matter who's it is, without a study guide.

I went to their site and it says this at the top, 'All positions require a respectable level of professional or educational expertise. Those without current fitness experience or education will not be considered. We do not offer 'entry level' job positions.'

This says to me that if you don't know your stuff, don't bother. In other words, it doesn't say, 'no experience necessary'. Why would anyone need a study guide if they have years of professional expertise or better still, an advanced degree in exercise science? But it deosn't matter because no one tries to sell you anything and you are not required to purchase anything.
  9. ChristinaM

ChristinaM New Member

Sounds great if you have what you need. I would just take the exam in that case. As far as the NHE guides are concerned, It sounds like you're saying that the only thing that would make you feel comfortable about buying a nhe study guide is if you were guaranteed a job? To me, that sounds like a scam. If the information I received told me I was guaranteed a job if I bought a study guide, I would not get involved. The reason I got involved was because of the level of legitimacy. No promises, no claims or guarantees and no sales tactics. Also, many of us who are already nhe certified are recieving infomation about the new positions and we don't need to take the exam or get a study guyide. That is what makes the whole thing real to me...
  10. AshleySullivan

I agree.
    Ironically, the only thing that would make you feel comfortable is some sort of guarantee and guarantees are the one thing all scams have in common. If a job posting read "You can make $10,000 a month Guaranteed! all you need is this kit" or something to that effect, then that would be something worth being concerned about.

You sound concerned that no one is willing to promise you anything and that isn't something you should be concerned about because that is exactly how it is supposed to be.

How I know a job is legitimate is when they are honest about what is required and honest about the job. From everything I've read, NHE has been and from my experience, they have been. I do think you have answered your own question about what to do concerning the study guide. For someone like you, don't buy one because even if you pass the exam, NHE did not promise you a job and you'll be sad.. Remember, it's not a Jedi mind trick they are doing to you. You are arguing with yourself about the whole process because it doesn't sound like anyone from NHE cares whether or not you get one.

I hope this helps because this conversation is getting old. Can someone please close this thread so that we can move on to something more interesting? [​IMG]
  11. ChristinaM

ChristinaM New Member

12. April D

April D New Member

AshleySullivan
    Just to make sure that you are clear on what I've stated, I do feel that I have all the information I need to take the exam. When I stated that I would feel like I have to buy a study guide to pass the test, I was explaining to you the thought process for myself as well as others that are inquiring, due to research and people that are stating they have 30 years experience including degrees and still havent passed the test. I did not say they had a 30 year degree. I am aware that degrees in Exercise Science is new as well as Kinesiology and that these degrees did not exist that long ago. As far as me "harrassing" John Caldwell (strong word). That is not in my characteristics, not that you would know. I sent him an email twice in regards to two separate positions posted. The listings for the jobs gives his information to contact him for this purpose. I am not looking for anyone to guarantee a job for me but only if I purchase something, that is clearly fraud, obviously. I am not green and so I dont believe the hype just because someone tells me to. I have the right to inquire and no I am not beating myself up with it. I have no problems with taking the test and no problem with asking about the test before I take it. For you Ashley, it seems that you get in your feelings fast about this subject and your remarks seem to be really sarcastic unneccessarily. Since that is the case and this conversation is old for you then I dont need anymore responses from you. Thank you for your comments, but Im good. I will close this thread.
  13. April D

April D New Member

ChristinaM
    No Christina, Im not wanting someone to promise me a job if I pay for a guide. I wouldnt pay for a guide if Im not getting the job. There is a difference in that communication. The website said that the test is free ONLY if you have been selected as a candidate. So, I was just inquiring about this test and whether the content was so difficult that I would not be able to pass with the information that I already have. This, mind you, is only because there are people who are stating they have taken the test just as you and Ashley have, however, they have not passed and have more experience than myself. Thanks for your responses but as I stated to Ashley, Im good I have all the information I need to know.
  14. April D

April D New Member

AshleySullivan
    For the record I know trainers that are very professional and great at what they do that are over 50 years old. They do exist.
  15. April D

April D New Member

ChristinaM
    Quoted from the website: Exam fee exempt forms are only authorized to individuals of interest. If we do not express interest in pursuing you, as a job candidate, you will not be required to take a NHE exam. In other words, please do not assume that simply submitting an online resume will enable you to enroll in a NHE program for free. If you are a candidate of interest, you will be authorized to take any/all NHE exams free of charge. If you are not a candidate of interest, we will not ask you to take a NHE exam. Each resume is evaluated for legitimacy, prior to exam fee waiver authorization.
  16. AshleySullivan

I just think the entire conversation about whether or not to get a study guide is irrelevant. I don't understand the idea of discussing it. If you want one, great, get one. If you don't, great, don't get one. It doesn't seem as though anyone cares.

There's no mention of a study guide in any of my correspondence with NHE and so I don't get where all of the heat is coming from. I think it's mentioned only once, on the sign up form and that's it. Probably for people like yourself who wonder about getting one.

I guess I don't get the point of joining a forum just for this purpose? I'm confused about what you want, as you say, you want a study guide, but you won't buy one unless someone was giving you a job. In other words, unless you were promised a job, you wouldn't buy one. That is what scams do to get people like you to buy their stuff. People who are on the fence. It sounds like you want it to be a scam, because you won't buy the study guide unless you get the job, but you'd need it before you start the job because you have to first pass the exam. This means that you would need someone to guarantee you that the job is yours (foreseeing that you pass with the study guide). That is not fraud, it's a scam. A scam is a promise for payment. Fraud is a broken promise for payment. NHE doesn't promise anything and they don't require payment so the whole conversation is irrelevant.

To the point of failing the exam... even that seems pointless because you can take the exam three times for free. It's as though they are giving everyone as many chances as reasonably possible to pass the exam. Why would they do that if they wanted you to ultimately fail?

Lastly, 50 year old trainers? That to me is sad. It's like being a 50 year car detailer. Some jobs are best suited for young people and by the time you get to a certain age, you should be able to move to the next level (gym owner, personal trainer clinic director, etc.). If someone brags to me about having 30 years personal trainer experience and they are still training clients or looking for extra hours to help make ends meat, that is sad. I will get out before that, I promise you because it's embarrassing to think that I would still be training clients at that age.
  17. AshleySullivan

... In other words, please do not assume that simply submitting an online resume will enable you to enroll in a NHE program for free. If you are a candidate of interest, you will be authorized to take any/all NHE exams free of charge. If you are not a candidate of interest, we will not ask you to take a NHE exam. Each resume is evaluated for legitimacy, prior to exam fee waiver authorization.

This means that you can't take the exam if you are not real. It doesn't mean you will be charged if you are not real. This is paranoia we're now talking about.
  18. ChristinaM

ChristinaM New Member

April, I think that clause is to help prevet freeloaders from just submitting a resume just to save $700. There are probably some people out there who don't care about the jobs or don't truly believe they would be competitive in getting one so they just send in their resume so they can get a free certification. It doesn't mean that you will be charged an exam fee if your resume doesn't check out. That's silly.
  19. AshleySullivan

Like I said.... paranoid.
  20. ChristinaM

ChristinaM New Member

I guess so but April, the only way you can take the exam is if they ask you to. The only other way is to get accepted into the program by submitting an application, which has nothing to do with the hr department.
    If they ask you to take the exam for free, you'll need a way to sign up. The only form that will enable you to do that for free is the exam fee exempt form. If you are not a person of interest, they are saying you won't get that form, which means you cannot take the exam for free or at all for that matter. This filters out people claiming they have a right to a free exam just because they sent in their resume.