NHE Certification

Discussion in 'Business Opportunities and Programs Reviews' started by Kritter, May 27, 2009.

1. April D

April D New Member

ChristinaM
    Thanks Christina. I've already sent in my resume. Im not worried about being charged. Never was. I just wanted to know if this thing worked thats all. I dont want to buy a guide and never had any intentions on doing so. That would be for fools.
  2. April D

April D New Member

AshleySullivan
    lol this conversation is way out of control and there is apparently so much misunderstanding, Im so over it. Ive already applied and sent in my resume. I'll take the test if someone has found me worthy. Hey, maybe there is possibly a job in it for me. No, I am not and never planned on purchasing a guide. No where near paranoid. Ive got bigger fish to fry then to worry over something like this. I just research before I get involved in anything, thats what I do. I appreciate your responses, it has helped. Oh and Ashley, there is nothing wrong with a trainer 50 or over. Ive had a 60 yr old male bodybuilder trainer train me and he was one of the best trainers I have ever met. Trust Ive met some top trainers. To be honest the best ones are older because they have become experts in the field. They are not working in gyms. They are putting their clients in competitions and recieving awards. They own their own businesses. They enjoy what they do and thats why they do it. They have a network that they have established over years and their bank is heavy. So I dont knock it. I've learned alot from trainers that are 50 and over. It is smart to learn from the OGs in any industry. They wrote the books.
  3. April D

April D New Member

AshleySullivan
    I agree if someone says they have 30 years just personal training experience that doesnt mean much to me. However someone saying they have 30 years experience in the industry and good credentials such a BS, a Phd or masters in the field ( I cant remember at this point) does mean something. They obviously did more than just train someone how to lift a dumbbell in your local gym.
  4. AshleySullivan

AshleySullivan New Member

Getting a study guide is smart because it ensures you are ready for the exam. This is true for any certification organization, whether it's NHE, ACE or NASM. Their guides match their exams and so it's a good idea, but if you are broke, then it's not a good idea. Personally, I spend for my career because it's the only way to advance. I buy books, DVD's, I attend what ever seminars I can, I acquire certifications, I invest in expensive marketing tools, software, whatever. Sitting around debating whether or not to spend a few hundred bucks on my career is not how to become successful. It takes money to make money. If you think it's you against them, then you will always lose because THEY don't need you to grow, you need them. You need to care about yourself and do what's in the best interest for you. A study guide, for most, is in their best interest. I understand that some people are doers and others are just wanters and hopers but not everything you invest in works out. Some things do and others do not but the fools are the people who sit around thinking, 'well I didn't pass the exam but at least I didn't spend any money.' Those people are fools because had they spent some money, they might have past. That type of attitude is why so many trainers are making less than $40,000 a year and will never make real money in their lifetime. Had they taken chances and did more to increase their chances of getting somewhere, they'd be somewhere! But again, if you're broke, then you don't have much choice. However, if you think about it, there's a reason you're broke.

But go ahead, take the exam without studying and don't be a fool. But I'd be interested in joining back up a year from now to see how your career is coming along. I know my future is very bright, not because I want to believe it but because I'm taking the steps and spending the money, required to get somewhere. I'm making 11% more money this year than I did last year and I've seen substantial growth for the past 8 years. Call me a fool but I'm a successful fool.
  5. AshleySullivan

... oh and by the way, those old 'bodybuilders' you refer too.. they are pathetic. I'm sure they are really sweet people and there's no doubt they are knowledgeable but they are only working to pay the rent. Don't be naive about why people work. They haven't written any books (that are selling) and of course they 'own their own business'. Who else's business can one own? That is a term people throw around to impress others. You know what it takes to 'own your own business'? ... about 100 dollars. Owning a business isn't impressive. Running a successful business is and it takes 10 hour days to run any successful business. There is no time to train people when you run a successful business. So, just so that you know, if someone is working the floor claiming they 'own their own business', they are delusional. Training clients is only fun for about 5 years, after that it's time to move on. You don't have to change fields but you have to do something better and something that can grow into a business you can retire on or support your college kids on. Stay in fitness, if that's your passion, but be involved in an aspect of fitness that is appropriate for your age. I'm sure there are some 50 year old strippers out there with a viable market, but it's still embarrassing.
  6. ChristinaM

ChristinaM New Member

Good morning all! Hey, people who buy study guides are not fools, they feel more comforatble studying first that's all. I lke to reuse them too as reference material. I think I have over 100 fitness books!
    [​IMG]
  7. April D

April D New Member

AshleySullivan
    Now you want to promote getting the guide. lol Yo, you got waaaay too much energy for this. It aint that serious for me not to mention waaay to much ignorance.
  8. April D

April D New Member

ChristinaM
    Not sure why you dont understand what Im saying and at this point I dont really care. peace.
  9. AshleySullivan

Sure it's not. That's why you joined and keep returning.

It's not energy that enables me to discredit your paranoia. It's logic.

Logic will always trump stupidity. Every time.

I'm looking forward to hearing how well you do on your exam. Be sure to keep us fools posted.
  10. teaserrate

teaserrate New Member

That's funny that you say that because I always thought that was a weird thing to say to somebody too. It's easy to tell if you are dealing with a wannabe because they all say to you -I own my own business-. As if that really means anything? A real business person doesn't say that, he says -I'm a business owner- and if the person is very successful, the business isn't anonymous, they say -I own Bally's Total Fitness- or what ever the company is he owns. That is funny I'm not the only person who has noticed that too. Ha!
  11. SoCalDweller

SoCalDweller New Member

There are very fit trainers over 50 who look 35 and whose fitness levels are in the late 20's range. I know such a trainer. He's an inspiration. He also happens to be an attorney and a jet-rated pilot. He also has a trainer of his own. She's 40, looks 30, and inspires women of all ages. One of his earlier trainers (back when the guy I know was 38) was 60 at the time and was training Hollywood notables. (We're talking L.A. here.) Anyway, point is, there are 40+ and even 50+ year olds in L.A. who look great and are very fit. In the case of the guy I know, he also has a law degree and flies jets. (He has a passion for fitness and a fit lifestyle, as well as for other things, as suggested by his various significant accomplishments.) For you to automatically trash people over 50 suggests that your own experiences (both in life, in places you've lived - I suspect the Midwest or some small town, no offense- and in fitness) are quite limited and uninspiring.
  12. AshleySullivan

If you're a personal trainer, the assumption is, you get paid for working with people's fitness regimen. You have missed my entire point about old trainers and I'll try to clear it up... there is nothing wrong with old people. There is nothing wrong with old people getting in shape and there is nothing wrong with old people looking younger than their age. There is also nothing wrong with old people inspiring others. None of these things are embarrassing. What is embarrassing is old people requiring payment for their one-on-one time, helping others understand fitness. Anyone who loves fitness would do it for free, young or old. The only reason us young trainers don't do it for free is because we need to make a living too. We are trying to get our lives going. If you are old, what is you're excuse for requiring payment? You are already supposed to be settled in and accomplished. If you are still working the floor and collecting checks at 50 +, that is not 'inspiring'. That is sad.
    If you're old and you want to help others get in shape that's great, do it for free. Don't do it as a business and make people pay you and then go and cash their checks as though you need the money. If your 'friend' is a lawyer and a pilot, then why is he cashing people's checks from the gym? Why does he need the money if he is so accomplished?
    When my grandfather gives me advice, he doesn't ask me for a service fee. Don't be naive about why people work as personal trainers.
  13. helj67

helj67 New Member

AshleySullivan
    Ashley, It seems as YOU would not be a good Personal Trainer as you constantly dismiss training as akin to car detailing or stripping. Thank God you want to suceed in a different aspect of the ftiness business. I will take your comment with a grain of salt, because you sound very young and naive. You cannot know what an individual's life is like. I agree there are quite a few people who work as trainers, both young and old who do not inspire, instruct or educate clients. But just because you are a trainer in your 50's does not make you a loser. In fact, fitness savvy clients prefer a person with knowledge and experience, and since the average client is 40-70, they do not want some muscle bound whippersnapper having them bench their body weight! I happen to be a 40+Personal Trainer and I love helping individuals reach their fitness and health goals. It makes me fulfilled and filled wth gratitude that I have made myself a career of helping people one to one face to face. I also have a family that is my first priority, so I would not spend 10+ hours per day away from them and their needs. I hope this gives you a little insight to what some of us doddering old codgers still working one to one with clients has in our souls. Also, a myriad of fitness degrees HAVE been around for ove 25 years. I believe that is around the time they started, but maybe I am being a little arrogant thinking there was no fitness education before I turned 18!
  14. helj67

helj67 New Member

April D
    April, I wanted to put my 2 cents in regarding NHE. I too, was skeptical at first, and was very leery about purchasing the study guide. I took the level 3, Master trainer test and passed it on the first try back in November. I was told I was in the final tier of canidates for the exam processor job, but I never did get the interview. I received a letter last month asking me to apply for the proctor job. Here is my take on the process. Read all correspondance very carefully. Most of your questions about the process are included there or on their website. Also, do not bother to ask how long the process is, chances of getting the job, etc. Most likely they will not respond to you, and possibly your resume will get tossed if the answer is in the email or on the website. I think they have thousands of applicants and cannot reply to everyone. I also think the will let you know within 2-4 weeks of passing your test if they are interested in interviewing you. I think they put those with college degrees that pass a test on the first try at the top of their list.
    I found the study guide helpful, but there were alot of topics that were in the guide and not on the test, and there were alot of questions on my test, for instance, organic chemistry, that were not on the guide, so go figure.
    Good luck to you, this would sure be a dream job for a Mom!
  15. AshleySullivan

Helij67 - I don't dismiss training at all. It's a great profession. I only use the detailer and stripper references because those are similar careers, in that old people work those professions too, as independent contractors, and can make pretty good money, like personal training. I could think of 20 others too but the point is clear to those you aren't taking offense.
    Of course clients prefer a trainer with knowledge and experience, what sort of ridiculous statement is that? They don't prefer a trainer with extensive 'life experience' if that is what you are trying to say. That's nonsense. You can be a 28 year old trainer with more than enough 'fitness knowledge' and 'fitness experience' for 95% of the clientele out there.
    I'm not judging people who have to work as trainers in the 50's and 60's. I don't know their situation. I'm just saying it's not inspirational. I have never met a trainer who has said to me, 'Girl, I look forward to doing this when I'm 58 years old. It's only going to get better.' That's crazy. I want to train for about 15 years and that's it. In the meanwhile, I will develop other business plans that involve my love, experience and knowledge in health and fitness. There are plenty of different career opportunities out there, you just have to plan early. My guess is, the people who are still training in their 50's and 60's didn't plan very well. They are not losers...just poor planners. However, many of them have good reasons, I'm sure.
  16. helj67

helj67 New Member

AshleySullivan
    Thanks Ashley for your comments. I do agree that there are many people who do unfortunately live paycheck to paycheck even in their later years due to poor planning or just plain laziness. I however love personal training and hopefullly will be doing it until I am physically unable. For me, even if I branch out into other areas of fitness, I would still do one to one sessions as mouch as my schedule allows. Many trainers do not realize that their fitness knowledge is just one facet of Personal Training. It is interpersonal skills such as listening to clients and knowing their schedule and motivation, and physical or mental roadblocks and coming up with a plan that works that makes a great trainer. That is where a more mature person can rally shine!
  17. basic 4

basic 4 New Member

ChristinaM
    i'm hoping you can give me some advice about taking the nutrition fitness exam nhe. i've bought the study guide. but i'm not sure what they are looking for as far as answers.
    how and what should i do to pass the exam.
    thanks
  18. ChristinaM

ChristinaM New Member

The fitness exam is a really good exam. It asks basic questions about everything. My advice would be to not spend too long on section 1 because there are 10 other sections that will require at least half the time. The study guide is complete with everything you ever wanted to know about fitness nutrition and is an excellent reference tool.
    Just study it hard and you'll do fine [​IMG]
  19. basic 4

basic 4 New Member

[​IMG] thanks, what about other resources you used to prepare. i worked mostly in hospitals so i don't have much sports nutrition background. is that enough or do i beef up my sports nutrition chops
    [​IMG]
  20. basic 4

basic 4 New Member

ChristinaM
    [​IMG] thanks, what about other resources you used to prepare. i worked mostly in hospitals so i don't have much sports nutrition background. how do i beef up my sports nutrition chops?
    [​IMG]