Niche Finding Tool?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by treevee, Apr 28, 2010.

1. treevee

treevee Member

So, I was informed that the best way to find a good niche is to get one that:

1. Has at least 30,000 global monthly searches and
    2. Less than 100,000 search results (competing sites)

Is this even feasible? Coz I, for one, have tried to find ONE out there with those numbers and it seems impossible doing it manually.

I'm sure there are no great niche finding programs for free. What is a good inexpensive one that will give you info like that? Anyone use a program like that?
  2. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

Just go to Google and make sure the search settings are on "Provide query suggestions in the search box."

What you will want to do is type in something general (e.g. camera), then hit the space bar at the end of the keyword it suggests to get something more specific (camera bags). When you have a new word, hit the space bar again and it will give you more suggestions (canvas camera bags).

At this point, instead of hitting the space bar, delete the last characted (in this case, the "s" in bags) and you will get something even more specific and lazer targeted (safrotto canvas camera bag).

Play around with this technique for a little while and you will be able to identify lots of niches in no time!
  3. JHandy

JHandy New Member

I use market samurai. It's works well for me. If your site is brand new and not that old, you need to be targeting under 10,000 for competing sites though.

Jerry
  4. Shawn S

Shawn S New Member

treevee
    That sounds like a fairly random formula. It doesn't take into account how well the pages are optimized or what links are coming into them, not to mention a host of other factors.

Of course there are fewer factors for easier target keywords, but there will still be SOME factors other than just "number of competitors".
  5. treevee

treevee Member

Shawn S: That sounds like a fairly random formula. It doesn't take into account how well the pages are optimized or what links are coming into them, not to mention a host of other factors.
    Well, this what what they told you to start the campaign process with and then they went into optimizing and all the other factors.

It just seemed so far-fetched -- they made it seem that finding a niche like that was a piece of cake! "Go find yourself a niche with these numbers and will get started."
  6. pdean37

pdean37 New Member

Yeah its easy for someone to throw out a bunch of numbers like that in an ebook. The problem is that determining a good niche has a hell of a lot more factors than just numbers.
    You could rank #1 for a keyword that gets 100,000 searches a month, but if it is not a buying keyword with a paying market then it is probably not a good niche.
    I have a squidoo lens that gets around 1000 visitors a day and I have averaged $25 a month for the last 4 months. I have another squidoo lens that gets around 60 visitors a day and I average $450-$500 per month.
    Its not just a numbers game.
    30,000 visitors per month= $25
    1800 potential customers per month= $450-$500

Competition is not determined by sheer numbers either. Domain age, keyword in domain, number of backlinks, quality of backlinks, and on-page optimization are all factors to consider when sizing up the true competition.

There ain't no magic tool out there that will spit out these profitable niches at the push of a button. The tools will only speed up the processes of sizing up the competitors and finding the number of searches.
    Most all of them are based on the free google keyword tool for search numbers and they just automate queries into the other factors like backlinks, pagerank and domain age.
    All this can be done manually and for free. It just takes more time.

Your own common sense is your best tool when deciding on a good niche. Try to put yourself in the place of your visitor and think "If I am searching for this term am I ready to buy something or am I just looking for something for free or to pass the time?"

I could keep on rambling but I'll shut up now....Good Luck!
  7. CarrieLyn

CarrieLyn Guest

Hi Trevee,

Yes, it's important to make sure that the niche you choose isn't overly crowded with competition so you need to make sure that's below 100,000, under 30,000 at least if you're just starting out. Like pdean37 said you also need to make sure it's a profitable keyword...ones where the people searching for that tem are most likely to make a purchase.

For instance the term mlm tips, is a great term but not valuable because people searching that term are most always looking for something free.

I've used market samurai and have found this tool to be extremely helpful. I think they're still giving away a free 7 day trial when you sign up if you want to give it a try. It will definitely help you weed out the profitable keywords from the non profitable ones.
  8. treevee

treevee Member

CarrieLyn: I've used market samurai and have found this tool to be extremely helpful. I think they're still giving away a free 7 day trial when you sign up if you want to give it a try. It will definitely help you weed out the profitable keywords from the non profitable ones.
    I do have Market Samurai. There are many incongruous results when you keyword search in MS vs SEO Book Keyword Tool, both of which I use. I get so confused over that they give such majorly different results! I sorta would like a third tool to use to get more input .... anyone have any ideas? Which keyword tools to use?
  9. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

I agree.
    I use Market Samurai and still have difficulty finding good niches that I can rank for.
    (Market Samurai is extraordinary) It is me....lack of creativity?

This past year, I have been focusing on only one program, MLM and have not done much research.
    It can be tough.

Once I had forgotten to check out my competition analysis with Market Samurai and found my page will never rank [​IMG] even though there were less than 5.000 competition web pages, optimized.

Yikes!

Victoria
  10. Margo Tuul

Margo Tuul New Member

you can market anywhere and anything if you do proper keyword and competition research. Using market samurai and and keyword tool in Google, i was able to find 200+ high search volume/low competition keywords in weight loss (weight loss was keyword, didn't search for fat loss etc. Just only "weight loss"). People say it's overcrowded and competition too high. Got these 200+ keywords in 20min. Made 4 sales few days later using same keywords. Don't see weight loss being overcrowded...like everybody are saying.

You don't find out, until you test it yourself!

Another program what i use to find niches, is MicroNicheFinder.
  11. treevee

treevee Member

margo24: i was able to find 200+ high search volume/low competition keywords in weight loss
    Nothing personal, margo, but I really do have a hard time believing that! -- just through my experience of researching it for myself in MS and Google Keyword tool, not coming up with anything close to that. What do you consider high search volume? And low competition for these keywords, like say in MS? Sheesh, if I could come up with just 1 (forget the 200) keyword like that in weight loss, I'd run with it to heck and back! [​IMG]
  12. Margo Tuul

Margo Tuul New Member

With high search volume, i mean at least 30 searches per day. If you are after 1000 searches per day...ye...you are not going to find any. Even 30 searches per day is ok, as you have close to 1000 per month.I See end results around 30-300 searches per day. Low competition in MS i go with SEO comp. under 30000. Ye you can go with 10000, but i dont mind bit more work, and better keywords. Once i have my list, i sort out buying keyword, useless stuff out. Back to Google and i start working on top10 sites. Their on and off page SEO and can i outrank them. Simply writing everything down on paper. Usually i take 2-3 days to research my keywords.

If you have some money to spend, here is what i would do, if you are too lazy: Go to warrior forum>search user derek.ifocus, take his own post "keyword research, fit any budget, 1st page in Google". Prices are really cheap and he over delivers. You also get his favorite keywords + top10 competition research how to outrank them. Last time i got Gold Package from him. For 100 keywords i got over 700. In very popular niche.

Or...if you don't want that...and want to learn yourself (what you SHOULD do)...ill give you a link. Guide, what will cost you $12. Its Derek's own guide. It was $7 few weeks ago. Price is up now, as guide truly rocks. And you WILL learn, how to find keywords in ANY niche.

Let me know.
  13. samda

samda Member

14. tadpole88

tadpole88 New Member

Margo Tuul

I checked out derek and he seems to get great results and many people their like him, I just have one question:

Why do you never see any bad reviews for any programs advertised at warrior? It just seems to me that every WSO gets favorable reviews are they NO bad products.

I am in no way saying that the claims made are not true and accurate I just always wonder about claims from people who do a lot of JV together.

I am still wanting to learn as much as I can just do not have lots or money or time to waste chasing my tail.
  15. jamess

jamess Member

wordstream.com/keyword-niche-finder .. I use this mostly..