Not sure what I am or where to start.

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by skruddgemire, Feb 19, 2008.

1. skruddgemire

skruddgemire New Member

The problem I have is that I can't seem to get a clear answer as to what type of business I'm starting up, and thus am having a hard time trying to find the appropriate information.

My wife and I are in a group known as the SCA ( and we're looking to sell items at SCA events.

For example, we're looking to sell the various sundries that people tend to forget when packing for weekend camping events (soaps, tent stakes, bottled fuel for lanterns and stoves) as well as the custom-made arrows and my stained glass. We're also looking to sell other artisan's works on consignment.

Mostly we're going to be doing our business at the events themselves as well as setting up an online store.

It's just my wife and myself, no employees. What sort of business category do we fall under when it comes down to the laws and tax codes governing small business? And more importantly, where do we start?

2. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi skruddgemire,

First of all, welcome to the forum. [​IMG]

That SCA group sounds like a lot of fun. I think it would be quite fascinating.

As far as your business is concerned, your best bet is to chat with a local accountant to help you get yourself in the best category for tax purposes. You can start out as an individual/sole proprietor, but for tax purposes you will probably want to look at some of the other options.

As an individual you'd fall into the self employment category and will need to pay SS on your profit (double actually), but if you are careful with your records you will have a lot of expenses to deduct so you won't have a high profit at first. Really, though, to keep yourself from getting in trouble down the road, you really should speak to an accountant, or at the very least, go to the irs website and get the info. for small businesses, etc. (if you are in the US) [​IMG]

As far as the online store is concerned, I would recommend that you build your website yourself using SiteBuildIt. They are the best value for money (it's who I use for my sites), and they take you through the whole process step by step so you do it right.

If you pay someone to do it for you, it will most likely cost you several thousand dollars and then there is no guarantee that they will do it right so that you generate free targeted traffic. I've talked to too many people who have spent thousands on a beautiful website only to discover they couldn't get traffic from the search engines because it wasn't set up properly. Very disheartening.

You could build a fantastic informative niche site about your medieval interests and then monetize it with your own store or various other means if you like.

Well, that's what I would recommend. I wish you and your wife all the best.
  3. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Welcome ! You could post in relevant forums, it tends to be effective
  4. aplina

aplina New Member

welcome to the forum
  5. macbuy

macbuy New Member

I imagine such items would do well on ebay and places like that as well...there's a huge market to be had there.
  6. PNL Travel

PNL Travel New Member

Hi skruddgemire,

Welcome to the forum. I see that you are in the US, so there are two easy ways to get the info that you are looking for. The first is to call your local county/city office and ask them. Your local zoning office person will ask you some questions about what you want to do with your business and they will guide you accordingly. Just remember, the government employees are usually going to tell you what benefits them the most.

The other way to find out is to look for a local accountant in your area. Try to find one that specializes in small/home businesses. They are going to be looking out for your best interests, so in my opinion, they are the best way to go. Most of them, around my area anyway, offer a free consultation visit.

Hope that helps a little and welcome to the forum!