Office Work versus Working From Home

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by workfromhome_au, Apr 26, 2013.

?

Do you prefer working from home or in an office?

1. Work from home

91.7%
  2. Work in an office

8.3%
  1. Bika

Bika New Member

I love working from home. I don't miss the long commute, office politics and the hours. Working at home, I am able to set my own hours. I love it.
  2. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

It is nice to work for yourself but you have to have great discipline because you can get distracted a lot.

You have to get yourself a daily action plan and follow it to have contineous success as you progress.
  3. Chick80

Chick80 New Member

You do need discipline but it's just a case of getting into a routine. I have a specific area where I work, which is my 'office', I only ever do work there and at 5 pm I switch off completely and walk away. I get so much more done than when I worked in an office. I don't miss the office politics, or the commute, but I do sometimes miss the banter, but then I just talk to the cat :)
    payment proof likes this.
  4. Coach Kip

Coach Kip New Member

I don't like the time for money formula. I can do a lot with my time. I don't think I am extrodinarily fast at getting things done, and I am certainly not very organized. I just like to have a task, get it done, and then I am done. Working in an office or building it has been my experience that once I get done with a task then I have two choices. Ask for more work or sit there until 5:00. Both are pointless.

I would much rather accept work based on a per task basis. I get paid for the work I do. If I don't feel like working then I don't work knowing I don't get paid. If I want to work then I know it will payoff. Working from home on my own is a way better option for me.
  5. Coach Kip

Coach Kip New Member

Distractions are always a problem at home, between the kids, wife, dog, mail man... sometimes it is hard to get things done. I like to have a dedicated place to work at home, or grab my laptop and head to a coffee shop. Either way it is a trigger to me to be focused.

Also having a specific thing that I want to accomplish helps in staying focused. However I don't think a goal by itself is good enough. I like to give myself a reward for accomplishing my goal. Sometimes it is food but I try to be a little more creative, maybe the latest movie, or treating myself to 5 hours of not thinking about work and just having fun. Be creative and you will suddenly realize you are working hard so you can get to your reward.
  6. Rosa Nunez

Rosa Nunez New Member

Hi, I just joined today. What I hated about working in an office was the policies, and the commute. I lost my job a couple of years ago and did not regret it...I love what I do now!
  7. eina26

eina26 New Member

The office gossip and the getting up early to prepare for work.
  8. Joe Dalio

Joe Dalio New Member

It's my dream to work from home simply because of the flexibility. I'm not afraid to work and would probably work harder at home. I would just cherish the opportunity to set my own hours instead of being tied to the difficult ones I have now :)
    eina26 and payment proof like this.
  9. Gela G

Gela G New Member

The travel time going to the office is just a waste of time. I love staying at home maximizing my work hours. I am more productive too and focus.
  10. eina26

eina26 New Member

So true. However, sometimes I take it for granted. But it's just me. I sometimes get lazy. :D
  11. Kami A.

Kami A. New Member

I voted for work from home, but sometimes I wish I had kept my office job. I struggle with discipline at times, and could be a lot more productive, I think. I may just be comparing myself to others and finding myself lacking, but I tend to do that.

Other than that, I love working in my pajamas, but I've found that if I actually get up, shower, dress, eat breakfast and act like I'm going to an office, I am more productive. I have to set goals and sometimes force myself to do what needs to be done, but it's always worth it. Working from home was a HUGE adjustment.
    eina26 likes this.
  12. Kami A.

Kami A. New Member

I so agree with you! My last job was as an office manager for a contractor who had no work. He was out doing sales calls all day, and I was there ALONE with nothing much to do. Now a lot of people would consider this a dream job, but to me, it was totally wasted time. PLUS he had blocks put on the internet so all I could use it for was to order supplies or email, so there I was, alone, with nothing to do when I could have been working to make myself some money. I couldn't take it anymore, so I started building my writing jobs on the side and got out.
  13. eina26

eina26 New Member

This is a good productivity tip. :) I am most productive when I just woke up from long hours of sleep or from a nap. But I think I might actually try this out. It might make me more productive.
  14. Jameslopez90

Jameslopez90 New Member

Having time freedom for yourself. I'm not saying having a job isn't good, it's just people like myself would much rather work on his own. :)
  15. GEM

GEM New Member

I worked in an office for 20 years. By then I had had enough of commuting, office politics, bureaucracy, and moaning staff that thought the world owed them a living. Now I have been working from home and self-employed for the same amount of time. Would I go back? o_O NO CHANCE.
  16. florbags

florbags Member

What I really love about working at home is that I don't need to wear shoes for long hours, everyday. :)
  17. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Shoes? You don't even have to wear pants lol. Unless you want to.
    florbags likes this.
  18. Erica Martin

Erica Martin New Member

I've worked from home for over 10 years for different companies and I love it - I absolutely do not want to go back to working out of the home if I don't have to.
  19. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I hear ya. I love working at home too. The best thing for me is the additional time with family. That's so much better than spending hours in the car commuting back and forth to work.
  20. Erica Martin

Erica Martin New Member

Now that's something I have a hard time with - I actually want to work more now that I work from home!

Erica