Oh wow, anyone try GIMP, lol!!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by rvlady, Mar 5, 2013.

1. rvlady

rvlady Member

I can't get anything else done, I am having too much fun playing around with GIMP to try and pick a background, oh nooooooooo!! LOL!! Ok, I'll get serious here soon but, I am amazed at what this free image program can do!! Woweeeee!! LOL!!

Denise

2. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

I use Gimp almost daily, but it can be overwhelming to learn.
    The pre-formatted banners and buttons templates are handy.
    Plus there are literally thousands of youtube tutorials for Gimp.
    I use the "curves" control to enhance most of my better photos.
    Well worth the price: FREE!
    http://www.gimp.org/

3. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

I should add that I also use Google's Picasa as much or more than Gimp.
    For simple task like straightening, cropping, and re-sizing it's faster.
    One button fixes instead of 3 separate steps to do the same in Gimp.
    It also is good for sorting photos of grandkids with face recognition.
    Blows me away that is can match a bald baby to their 6 yr old look.
    Saves a lot of searching through 10 years of digital photos.
    The combination of both gives me all the photo tools.
    Photoshop is overpriced and over-hyped.
    Anything it can do Gimp can do, FREE.

4. rvlady

rvlady Member

I am seeing some things with all my photo, imaging "ware" EZ. It is so true that one can do what the other can't or visa versa. I now have Gimp, Paint net, photoscape and I wanted picasa but it is discontinued. Funny you should mention it but I don't believe in chance or coincidences;) I know Google has it now but so we just go into Google and use it there? You can't download the program right? I thought I understood correctly today when I went to download it.

I love working with photos and I do take some of my own, pretty amateur'ish but I do love it as a hobby. Plus, I can use some of my photos for my site(s) eventually. I found morguefile.com through Lisa Urby(Urly?)today where folks put up photos for anyone to use for free, even commercially! I thought about putting some of mine there for others to use since I don't do anything with the ones I've taken. But many could really be "theme" or niche related, just by accident:)

Good to hear from you this evening EZ and see you soon, Denise PS I think I'll try that "bald baby" thing to see if I can get a preview of how I'll look when I am very old:eek::ROFLMAO: Oh I know, we get better with age right;)

5. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

6. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

The older I get the more I look like that BALD baby! (except the grey white beard)
    :p

7. rvlady

rvlady Member

LOL! Well, I am starting to get comfy with my age, or aging I should say;) I am 60 now but I insist on saying "my best years are ahead of me"!

Thanks for the heads up on the Picasa, I will have to go back and take a look. I may have clicked on a bad link to download it so I'll use yours EZ, thanks again! Denise

8. rvlady

rvlady Member

Woohoo!! Got it EZ! Now I have all 4 programs(y) Denise

9. Yes, started playing with gimp in the late 90s. Nowadays I use Pixelmator for Mac.

10. rvlady

rvlady Member

It sure has improved since I first used it to warp some faces of my family for some laughs:)