On the topic of web design - I have a book suggestion

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by Singapoor, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Singapoor

Singapoor New Member

I just finished Don't Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability by Steve Krug. If you're designing your own stuff (or even if you're not, now that I think about it), the insight gained will really help you build a site users will enjoy visiting.

It's true when Mr. Krug uses "common sense" to explain what the book goes into, but sometimes the most obvious issues are things we don't see for ourselves. Anyhoo, I highly recommending getting your hands on a copy, it's a very practical and useful read.

2. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

I'm familiar with that book. It's one of many web design titles I have browsed or studied over the years. I agree with you that it does provide a very valuable "common sense" approach to web usability.

As matter of fact, when I'm designing websites, that title Don't Make Me Think is always uppermost in my mind. It forces me to think first from the visitor's perspective.

My aim is always to create a website that seems familiar to the first-time visitor. If I can get her feeling she has been to the site before, even though she hasn't, and she intuitively knows where to go to find what she's looking for, then I've done my job.

Great recommendation!

Hermas

3. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Singapoor,

I have that one and have read it. It's decent.

Usability is about straight forward navigation, simplicity, readability, and similar.

Since I had formal training, it's natural to me anyhow. I've seen quite a few crazy sites and foolish design in my time.

I keep the visitor in mind throughout the entire design process. I like to make logical sense, create an easy navigation, minimize distraction, avoid tiny text, use symmetry, pleasing and few colors, and I like to set up a fast page load among other things.

I find automated animation and audio to be very annoying. I don't like loud colors, and too many frills make me hit the back button.

The book doesn't have a lot of juicy tidbits or any marketing tips per se, but it's good to add to the library at some point.

Nice tip,

~Newbie Shield~

4. simplyg

simplyg New Member

A8ch: My aim is always to create a website
    that seems familiar to the first-time visitor. If I can get her feeling she has been to the site before, even though she hasn't, and she intuitively knows where to go to find what she's looking for, then I've done my job.
    Great tip! I totally agree and am trying to keep this in mind as I build each new website.

5. Singapoor

Singapoor New Member

In stopping myself from rambling on, I've edited things down to:

"I'm glad you guys like the tip [​IMG]. Since it's easy to overlook the obvious, which is that everyone isn't on the same level of 1) comfortability with using the web. It's in the not-taking-anything-for-granted part that I feel the book helps mainly [​IMG].

6. shmeeko69

shmeeko69 Member

Hi All

I use Microsoft Frontpage for editing & Gimp for cutting/crop .....
    There probably are betting editing suites, but for a beginner it's excellent for setting up hyperlinks/navigation/tasks & pixel adjustment. They really do keep things simplistic & that's always what you want.

Cheers

Mark [​IMG]

7. Ballistic

Ballistic New Member

Good book which teaches the perspective of the eyes of the consumer. MANY web designers completely forget about the people that will be visiting their site.