Online college

Discussion in 'Work at Home Moms' started by RockOnLily, Apr 18, 2008.

1. RockOnLily

RockOnLily New Member

Hi everyone, I am a single mother currently enrolled in an online college to get my associates of science in medical billing and coding. I hope to one day be able to do medical trascription from home but know that it will take some work to get there. I have never worked in the medical field before, all I have ever done is waitress, which I do not want to keep doing. Well I just wanted to introduce myself and if anyone has any advice for me I am all ears. Also is there anyone else who is going or has gone to an online college? What are you experiences? Thanks!!
  2. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Star,

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have a sound plan mapped out for you. I haven't officially gone to an online 'college' but I have learned an awful online just the same.

Keep up the good work. There are some others here who do transcription and can probably help you know exactly what you can expect.

Blessings,
    Angie
  3. taberdude

taberdude New Member

Hi Star,

I went to school online using Kaplan. I received my AAS in paralegal studies. I found it to be better for me than traditional offline college. I tried 2 other offline colleges and just couldn't get into the setting. With Kaplan I was even able to make the Deans list with most of my classes and semesters.
    It can be tough to stay focused as I had 2 children at the time and was pregnant with my 3rd. I had her 2 weeks before I graduated.
    But just stay focused and you can succeed!

Deanna
  4. HiAchiever

HiAchiever New Member

Hi, and welcome.

I attended the University of Phoenix for an MBA program.

I can tell you that the class work was as thorough and intense as any college classes I ever attended "live". And I have a traditional MS in physics. So I can compare.

The Internet has really made a difference by allowing educational experiences to penetrate beyond the traditional college campus.

Hope you enjoy your experience.
  5. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Most transcription companies will consider training from Careerstep
  6. westfam11

westfam11 Member

Hi Star,

Welcome to the forum. That's nice that you are able to take your training online.

I do medical transcription from home and have for 18 years. I don't want to discourage you from doing this but in my opinion you need to have a back up plan and/or another source of income to go with that because things have really changed in the transcription field.

It used to be that you could get all the work you wanted and work all the time but I have been outsourced already a couple of times and it is happening more and more.

That is the main reason I started my home business and plan to be out of medical transcription within six months working for myself so I don't have to worry about being outsourced.

I don't mean to discourage you at all I just want you to realize what can happen in that field so it is always good to have a plan B.

Becky
  7. RockOnLily

RockOnLily New Member

Thank you everyone for your advice and support. Colorado Technical University is the online college I go to. I agree the class are not easy. So far I have maintained a 4.0 but it has taken a lot of work and dedication. Congradulations to all of you who have already done it, it is encouraging to hear. Thanks again!
  8. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

Hi Star,

I am enrolling in the University Of Metaphysical Sciences, planning to earn my PhD.

Currently, I am a life member of the Wealthy Affiliate University and love that also.

Being a single mother of two small boys, I would not be able to enroll and physically attend a university at this time, because between my internet marketing career, and my "Domestic Burdens" ..you know chores, I just would not be able to focus and give it 100%.

I would have to stay up all night...which would be lovely, just too hard to get up and meet the school bus!

Congratulations on your new career!
    Victoria
  9. cat_va

cat_va New Member

Hello and welcome!
    My husband attends AIO online, this is his second year. He loves it, its so much easier than driving hours back & forth. HOWEVER he says its much faster paced than college because they usually have different sessions than normal college classes. That is the only negative he's expressed.
    Medical coding/billing is one of the best careers you could work in! Pays extremely well, even when starting out, plus, no matter what the economy, its always going to be needed!
    Good luck,
  10. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

NTC: ...I am enrolling in the University
    Of Metaphysical Sciences...

Hi NTC,

I'm not sure if Star is still around but your goal sounds very intriguing. Best of luck and let us know how the individual classes go. Cool major.

~Newbie Shield~
  11. independent09

independent09 New Member

WEST FAM 11 YOU HAVE GOT TO HAVE AT LEAST 50 JOBS , YOU HAVE OVER 300 POSTS AND A LOT OF THEM ARE STATING THAT YOU HAVE HAD A DIFFERENT BUSINESS EACH TIME FOR AT LEAST 5 OR 10 OR MORE YEARS, WHICH IS IT , YOU HAVE GOT TO BE A BILLIONAIRE WITH ALL OF THOSE BUSINESSES.