Overdraft fees at banks

Discussion in 'Frugal Living' started by dann, Feb 10, 2012.

1. dann

dann New Member

What would be a good way to pressure a banker into reversing overdraft fees for you? While its necessary to be tactful, patient, polite, and make sure that your side of the story adds up - What could be a good way to make them think "Oh, it would be WISE for me to reverse these fees."

I know you can say in a polite way that you won't be doing business for them anymore, anything else?

2. maxson6062

maxson6062 New Member

Hi Dann,

Boy! I've been there, they aren't to forgiving anymore to be honest, they gave me the one time fee back then took $120 for the next ones so needless to say I stopped it by telling them I would rather be embarrassed by them telling the person that I didn't have the money in the account to pay them, then to have them continue to charge me overdraft fee's.
    So I have no Idea how to ask them politely not to do that to me ....

Oh! and get a budget software or just start a budget on excel and keep better idea's where and how you spend your money, knowledge is king to lessen your financial problems.

Good luck
    Lynn

3. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

Why don't you just pay it off? Make it your goal to pay your minus.

4. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

If I made the mistake, and I have, I just pay it. It's not like I didn't know their rules. By putting my money in their bank I agree to abide by their rules. It's an agreement and it's integrity in my opinion to keep my end. They keep theirs I believe.

I recently had this happen to me. I thought I was transferring my money from paypal to my bank. I was very tired. Turns out I transferred money from my bank to paypal instead. It overdrew my account [​IMG]. I paid the fees.

5. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

dann: What would be a good way to pressure a banker into reversing overdraft fees for you?
    You really can't pressure a banker into reversing legitimate overdraft fees. He may reverse those fees at his discretion, but applying pressure is certainly not going to appeal to his kinder, gentler side. And you will certainly not earn any points using this tactic.

dann: I know you can say in a polite way that you won't be doing business for them anymore, anything else?
    Unless your account carries a substantial balance, (in which case it's unlikely to be overdrawn in the first place) threatening to take your business elsewhere might just be the move a banker might insist you make.

We all screw up from time to time, but there are some areas of negotiation we should always try to avoid, and imploring your banker to reverse an overdraft fee is one of them.

Hermas

6. Merrick8

Merrick8 New Member

robinincarolina: By putting my money in their bank I agree to abide by their rules. It's an agreement and it's integrity in my opinion to keep my end
    agreed. you signed up with them, legally the bank does not have to do anything besides monitor and hold your money. no where in the paper work you sign when you sign up with them does it say if you mess up they have to let it go. those guide lines are how the banks get their "slice of the pie"