Picking a Domain Name

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by molinatore, Jun 5, 2009.

1. molinatore

molinatore New Member

How long should a domain name be? and can i use that domain for another blog or website?,..i am a bit confused about this domain name picking, maybe some one here can explain this to me,..cause i want to purchase one soon. Thank You!!

2. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

What you want to do is find a domain name consisting of keywords people type into the search engines. If you can, try and get a dot com, and if that isn't available, try a dot net...and if that isn't available, try the dot org. I would suggest avoiding a dot info, since Google sometimes tends to de-index these (I've heard stories). Also avoid anything with a trademark.

3. molinatore

molinatore New Member

ok, thanks getagrip,..and having a webpage or blog , with this domain name, can i use it for other blogs or webpages??

4. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

You can use it for either - you can get a free blog at blogger.com, and "forward" the domain to the URL of your blog, so that when someone types your domain name or clicks on your link from a website, they will land at your blog. You will need to log into your domain control panel to forward your domain to your blog...this will make more sense after you have purchased your domain.

5. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

I was going to post a very similar question so I will elaborate and maybe you can help us both a little more. What are the advantages of having the domain name. My it guy where I work implied I was stupid not to have a domain name, so can someone enlighten me on this.

Can you purchase several domains and forward them all to the same website? Is there any advantage in that?

6. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

molinatore: How long should a domain name be?
    A domain name may be as long as 67 characters, including the TLD ending (.com, .net and so on). But for practical purposes it is usually much shorter. Letters, numbers and the dash are the only characters allowed. There can be no spaces or underscores.

robinincarolina: What are the advantages of having the domain name.
    There are several advantages to owning a domain name.

1. It represents your online identity.
    2. It says you are serious about your business.
    3. It promotes credibility.
    4. You have absolute control over the website content and presentation.
    5. You can make edits and updates whenever necessary.
    6. You can use it to earn AdSense revenue.
    7. You can optimize it for a variety of keywords and phrases.
    8. It gives you tremendous marketing flexibility.

And those are only a handful of the benefits.

robinincarolina: Can you purchase several domains and forward them all to the same website?
    You can, but what would be the point? Unless the other domains were bought to prevent competitors from using the same or similar domains to divert traffic away from your main site, that wouldn't be the most productive use.

If you plan to buy several domains you should maximize each one to get the most leverage out of them.

Hermas

7. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

If possible, you might try to use your keywords in your URL.
    Have a great day!
    Victoria

8. johnjimat

johnjimat New Member

you can create a blog or your website on your won domain. i think it more secure if you blog on your own doamin and hosting rather than blogspot or something like that.. [​IMG]

9. robinincarolina

Silly question, but I can forward my existing blog to its own domain?

10. molinatore

molinatore New Member

Thank you for the answer,..

11. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi molinatore,

As far as total number of words in the URL addy - if that's what you are wondering, I wouldn't go over five.

As a TLD addy, it'll look strange to would-be visitors probably resulting in losing out on a lot of clicks. This is especially true if one or more of the words are long (over six characters).

Robin: Not sure exactly what you mean.

You can redirect pages within your site to a new permalink location. Not every free site will allow this but some do. As far as I know, all of the common paid hosting services do allow it.

You can do it with traditional pages, blog pages, and forum pages.

You can also redirect your TLD to an external site or page.

~Newbie Shield~

12. jaesun16

jaesun16 New Member

You can pick one broad !

I mean, do not pick domain name about your products!

Ex) You are selling an apple,
    You may want pick domain name as Freshapple.com

But, I would recommend to choose more broader, like

Fruitmarkets.com, [​IMG]so that way you can sell other fruits on

your site!

I hope this helps you little bit~

Good luck to you

happy day~^^[​IMG]

13. Newbie Shield

Hi Jaesun,

I see your logic but...

Going broad within a common niche isn't usually a good idea because then you're going head-to-head with the big fish.

It's usually better to create more than one site (one at a time) within a broad niche than to make a single broad site.

~Newbie Shield~

14. molinatore

molinatore New Member

So, Newbie Shield with that , you would then need more then 1 domain name?

15. robinincarolina

I am in a very broad niche as well but have figured out how to break it down and have purchased a domain name for each niche. I think thats what Newbie means.

Like instead of fruit markets, try red grapes from california, juicy apples from washington, ripe peaches from georgia, etc... and build around each one.

Correct me if I am wrong Newbie Shields.

16. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Newbie Shield: It's usually better to create more than one site (one at a time) within a broad niche than to make a single broad site.
    Squidoo is perfect for this, as you learn all the ins and outs of seo and domains.

Google likes Squidoo and it is free to use. I love it when it comes to testing new products. I am glad I did not buy a new domain for everything I was promoting in the way beginning, [​IMG] as I needed to do some testing to see what worked for me and what I wanted to go with.

17. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

... and with Squidoo you can have umpteen sites within a niche... you can have one on each of your keywords and then link them all together....

example:

1) bad-doggie-breath
    2)clean-dog-breath
    3)what-to-do-for-bad-dog-breath
    4)dogs-breath
    5)smelly-dog-breath
    6)dog-breath-cure

[​IMG]

18. tommykrank

tommykrank New Member

johnjimat: you can create a blog or your website on your won domain. i think it more secure if you blog on your own doamin and hosting rather than blogspot or something like that..
    I second this. Having your own domain name makes you look more credible. Having one for personal purposes on wordpress or blogger's alright but for business you'd want to have your own domain name.

Avoid using "substitute words" e.g. Money4you instead of moneyforyou. This makes it easier for people to remember you / promote you by word-of-mouth.

Finally, be sure not to "miscoordinate" words. e.g. whoreadsblogs.com (whoReadsBlogs.com) mayb be mistaken for WhoreAdsBlogs.com.

Choose a name that's relevant to the industry (or interest field) that your site would be catering toward as well.

Hope this helps,
    Tommy

19. Newbie Shield

molinatore: So, Newbie Shield with that , you would then need more then 1 domain name?
    Hi Molinatore,

Yes, Robin explained it well and M5 made a good point about testing the market first - perhaps with Squidoo.

~Newbie Shield~

PS. Hey Robin, I think the "s" fell of the end of my name last time I shed my skin or something...plus, a bird just landed on my shoulder and asked me if I like to be called "Newbie" or not.

I said I didn't mind all that much but that I prefer either "Newbie Shield" or "Shield" [​IMG]

20. robinincarolina

I understand that competley Newbie Shield, but I had been to happy hour when I typed that post. My apologies please accept. I am well aware you are not a Newbie.