Press Releases

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Elljay, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Elljay

Elljay New Member

Hiya
    Do any of you have any experience writing press releases? If so any tips would be wonderful, I am really struglling to write one that doesnt sound like an ad!!!!!
    Thanks xxx

2. marperrr

marperrr New Member

What I have done is to read some of the other ones that are getting noticed and mirror what they said. It also helps to imagine that you are someone doing a report on your story and act like youre writing it in 3rd person with good content and keep it simple and not long winded. Like my 3rd grade teacher used to say, "It should be like a womans skirt, long enough to cover the subject but short enough to be interesting."

3. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

marperrr: Like my 3rd grade teacher used to say, "It should be like a womans skirt, long enough to cover the subject but short enough to be interesting."

LOL, "the subject"!

Mark, you just alienated half the female members by telling that joke and I alienated the other half by laughing at it :D I had to give you credit for it though because it made me laugh out loud.

Excellent press release tips. I might add that many folks make the mistake of writing the press release too like they would write an article.

Common mistakes are using blunt persuasion, hard selling, and going overboard with explanations or informing. Informing is required but should be brief and to the point.

~Newbie Shield~

4. CSGWAHM

CSGWAHM New Member

marperr: Like my 3rd grade teacher used to say, "It should be like a womans skirt, long enough to cover the subject but short enough to be interesting."

Loved it marperr!

Newbie......I totally laughed out loud and I'm female! Also, you covered alot of the common mistakes made when writing press releases.

5. Elljay

Elljay New Member

Thanks guys, and the little joke gave me a wee chuckle for the day and I am female too[​IMG]

I am away to go and write a decent press release now, wish me luck[​IMG]

6. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Here's a link to a website with practical and psychological tips on writing
    press releases, and useful strategies for getting publicity in general.

http://www.publicityinsider.com/

Hermas