Problems with Index.HTML File

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by getagrip, Oct 25, 2008.

1. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

I recently tried to revert back to an older version of my website, and uploaded all of my old files. The problem I had is that the index page that the domain is linked to shows a listing of all the individual files rather than the page I want. Why is this?

2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Providing the actual address would help more in solving the problem. There is a setting called "Directory Indexing" which when enabled lists all the files your directory/website when the index file is missing. You can read more about it at:

Directory Indexing

Just check your website settings for Index Filenames. The index page you added now (index.html) may not be present at all in the field.

3. pcwork

pcwork New Member

There may be 2 index.* files in the root directory, delete one of them.

4. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Keith,

Good advice from Vishal and pcwork.

If I were in your shoes, I would delete everything from the server - provided you have backups.

I would reset the server to default and upload whatever you now wish to include.

That method usually clears everything up. In the future, don't overwrite .htm with .html or vise-versa. As pcwork pointed out, duplicate caching can cause problems. Stick with one extension version at a time.

If you switch extension versions, be sure to delete existing pages before uploading pages with the different extension.

Good luck,

~Newbie Shield~

5. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

Ok...I just re-uploaded the files - checked for duplicates but am having the same problems - it is the Wealthy Affiliate Review website in my signature. Thanks.

6. Vishal P. Rao

Just rename the Index.html to index.html (small i). It'll work.

7. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

8. naturalis

naturalis New Member

That's exaclty what I had a problem with, boy it took me awhile to figure it out!

Glad you solved the problem.

-Jernej

9. Vishal P. Rao

getagrip: Thanks Vishal - IT WORKED!

Cheers!

10. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

That's what this forum is all about, helping people solve problems, find solutions and add to their knowledge base. Wonderful, isn't it! [​IMG]

Hermas

11. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Nice one Vishal!

Keith, glad you got it fixed :)

Hi Hermas ;)

~Newbie Shield~