Productivity.......Firefox on CRACK =].

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by Matt Zenittini, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Matt Zenittini Silver Member

A fast internet connection and quick loading web pages is something that would make all of us more productive [IMG].

Here is a little trick I learned.

-Open firefox.

-Type in about:config

-click on I'll be careful, I promise!

-type in Network

-Scroll about half way down until you see network.http.pipelining
    -Double click on this to change it from False to True

-Directly under that there will be network.http.pipelining.maxrequests. It will be set to 4. Change this to 10 by double clicking it and typing in 10.

-Close out of firefox and re open.

Firefoxisoncrack Version 1.0 [IMG]. Working on updates.

This should help with productivity. Webpages will now load super fast [IMG].
  2. happywife Gold Member

I could certainly use faster page load times. Are there any negative side effects to taking the actions you've outlined?

I have no knowledge of what any of those terms stand for, so I'd hate to give myself headaches elsewhere in exchange for faster speeds.

Thanks,
    Angie
  3. cherie27 New Member

Have you tried Google Chrome browser?
    I hear that the browser is also loading web pages quite fast.
    But i didn't try the browser before.
  4. Matt Zenittini Silver Member

There are no adverse side effects at all =]. It just opens up a large pipe for you to zoom on.

It is noticeably faster. You will like it =]. If for some reason you don't (which you will) I will help you change it back.

Happy Browsing!

Matthew Zenittini
  5. time2livelife New Member

Just tried this Matt and good grief it worked a treat!
    I'm a power user (to say the least) and actively use around 60 pages in my firefox and about 1/2GB RAM to boot (yup thats right)

Tried your trick and restarted - OMG Rapidly fast
    Thanks so much for the tip, you're a star!

Cheers,

T.
  6. Matt Zenittini Silver Member

Thanks Time [IMG].

If anyone else does this and has a good experience (again, which you will [IMG]. ) Please post to let everyone know it works amazing =].

If you need help with this let me know.

Matthew Zenittini
  7. cevansg New Member

Matt,

Thanks for the tune-up for my Firefox Browser. It works GREAT! [IMG]

Colby Garr
  8. happywife Gold Member

Well, I've tried it, but I haven't detected a noticeable difference yet. It could be that it's my internet connection that is causing my slow load times and not my browser. [IMG]

I'm on satellite in Australia and it can be a bit sketchy. Oh well. I'm just thankful I have the service at all. [IMG]

I'll leave it that way and see if I notice improvement over time.

Blessings,
    Angie
  9. time2livelife New Member

Hi Happy Wife,

The chances are the latency (or delay) in your connection via satellite is compromising or killing the changed settings completely (or as far as you are able to detect).

I haven't met many people online with a satellite internet hookup, are you out in the bush I take it?

If anyone is having IT related issues (no complex projects pls - lol) then PM me and I will see what I can advise.

Cheers,

T.
  10. happywife Gold Member

Hi T.

Believe it or not, I'm not really out in the bush. I'm in the mountains/tablelands, but only about 5 miles out of town. We are just on old phone lines (pair gains) that won't service broadband, hence the satellite.

I only have to put up with it for a few more months since my hubby and I are heading back to the States for a year and hopefully my speeds will improve.

Thanks for your input!
    Blessings,
    Angie
  11. Matt Zenittini Silver Member

I hope you speeds do end up being faster. !! If you are not pleased and want to change it back I will be more than happy to help =]].

cevansg: Matt,

Thanks for the tune-up for my Firefox Browser. It works GREAT!

Colby Garr

I am glad the tune up has helped you as well =]]]!!.

Matthew Zenittini
  12. altinc New Member

Hi, I definately need faster firework - I usually have at least 10 pages open at the same time.

Tried this change and it is a bit faster but you got any more tricks to make it go even faster?!
  13. Seth New Member

Do i need to re-enter these settings everytime my firefox UPDATES ?

Anyone here have tried GOOGLE CHROME ?
  14. Matt Zenittini Silver Member

I don't think the updates change your settings.. But maybe? I was just trying to be helpful ^^. I dislike google chrome yuck. It's like vista... Tries to do everything for you without you wanting it to.

altinc: Hi, I definately need faster firework - I usually have at least 10 pages open at the same time.

Tried this change and it is a bit faster but you got any more tricks to make it go even faster?!

No more tips sorry =[. That was the only one > : ).

All The Best,

Matthew Zenittini
  15. websmarts New Member

I tried doing this with my firefox browser as I have had several slowdowns over the last 2 weeks.
    Haven't had to much success yet with the speed but I am investigating to see if it is more of a hardline problem.
    I will let you know.
    This is still great advice though!
    Mike Weiler
  16. Matt Zenittini Silver Member

Great =].

I'm glad it appears to be helping people =]].

You are of course still capped at your internet speed.. But this should help uncap your computer speed to unleash the full power =]]]]]].

Happy Marketing!

Matthew Zenittini
  17. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Matt Zenittini: A fast internet connection and quick loading web pages is something that would make all of us more productive .

Here is a little trick I learned.

-Open firefox

-Type in about:config

-click on I'll be careful, I promise!

-type in Network

-Scroll about half way down until you see network.http.pipelining
    -Double click on this to change it from False to True

-Directly under that there will be network.http.pipelining.maxrequests. It will be set to 4. Change this to 10 by double clicking it and typing in 10.

-Close out of firefox and re open.

Firefoxisoncrack Version 1.0 . Working on updates.

This should help with productivity. Webpages will now load super fast .

Hi Matt,

Warning - Everyone please read below:

Everything on hold. No one do this or anything else that will alter the core settings of your browser.

Though it will speed it up for some who have a fast internet connections and impress you, it won't work properly on all sites. Sometimes images won't load properly, your browser will crash, pages won't load at all, etc.

Enabling pipelining is bad idea. It's incompatible with some servers. Mozilla set the browser core up a certain way (default settings) for a lot of good reasons.

If it were a stable and compatible setting, it would have been a default, right?

~Newbie Shield~
  18. Matt Zenittini Silver Member

Newbie Shield,

Instead of posting things about pipelining being "bad". Post some evidence as to how it is bad. My pipielining has been enabled for months with no problems.

Please, remember as the great Hermas said... Do not "ass-u-me" things without evidence.

No information shows that enabling pipelining is bad and nothing shows it to cause errors.. Do a search.

Even though you can SOMETIMES find bad things about anything online. I have had no problems using this... I have personally tested it for some time..

Have you?

The reason they make settings editable is so you can edit them. Otherwise there would not be that option.. Right?

Factory settings are not set with everyone's needs in mind. They are set to be the most compatible with everyone and everything. With that said.. If this makes your browser quirky... Change it back. However, for the majority of people this will work great.

Here is an idea... Instead of telling people it won't work properly on all sites.. Find me a website that it does not work properly on... I would love to see a website that does not load with pipelining on.. and it does load with it off..

Please Newbie Shield.. I am interested..

Mozilla is open source and it set up the "default way". Has anyone here ever changed default setting on say a video card to get the most out of it?. Or changed the graphics on a game from medium detail to high?

I would not have this frustration if you had not come into my thread posting this BS for lack of a better term.

Very Frustrating...

Very..

Post some proof of a site that does not load.

Please.

Either way, my browser is faster and better. As are other people's.

Have a nice weekend,

Matthew Zenittini
  19. time2livelife New Member

I don't have any qualms with agreeing with Matt on this one.
    I have done extensive research into enabling pipelining on FF and I have not seen any extensive evidence to backup Newbie Shield on this.
    Without starting a war, i am an IT consultant and have been for 12 years, one of my areas of expertise just happens to be browser optimisation.
    As Matt suggests correctly, any software shipped for the MS Windows platform is designed for maximum compatability, not optimisation such as Linux applications.
    The bottom line is you can try the tweak, the majority will find it enhances their browsing experience within FF and for those very few that are still on low power PCs or a modem connection, it may not be the option for them.

Let those that choose to alter the settings decide for themselves and if it doesn't work which is very doubtful, they can set it back again.

Cheers,

T.
  20. Matt Zenittini Silver Member

I just took the time to do the research.

http://www.forumapex.com/internet_network_tweaks/32640-enable_pipelining_in_firefox_f or_boost.html

Another thread showing the upgraded speeds. As well as a DIRECT link to mozilla's website with a tutorial on how to enable pipelining.

In closing this article will explain exactly what pipelining is and what it does for your webbrowser. If you read this.. You will understand it can not cause adverse effects.

http://lifehacker.com/software//speed-up-firefox-030871.php

Of course you can google it for youself as well... Which is all I did [IMG].

Oh just one more quote.

"By default Firefox is configured to work on a slow connection, so follow these steps to enable pipelining and have a faster browsing experience."

Happy Marketing !

Enjoy,

Matthew Zenittini