Question On Back Links

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by jhoecannon, May 28, 2010.

1. jhoecannon

jhoecannon New Member

If you're posting a comment on a related website or blog in your own niche, I know that you get a back link if you leave your own website's address in the comment area and the administrator of that website doesn't remove it, but is that the only way to get a back link?

For example, when you are leaving a comment, most comment forms ask for your website address. This is usually requested in a special area on the comment form. If you leave the address to your website in this special area and you don't leave it in the actual comment itself, will this leave a back link to your site?

The reason I'm asking this question is that I now have a site that is getting 20+ comments per day, but very few of them are leaving any type of web address in the comment itself. Are these comments that visitors just want to leave, or are they getting back links because most of them do leave their URL address in the special area that requests their address?

One last question - Most blog comments are "nofollow" - why is that? If you do have a blog, are you better off to have your comments assigned a "dofollow" or "nofollow" tag? I would think you would be better off to have them assigned a "dofollow" tag so that more people would leave comments. Just curious.

2. carterstory

carterstory New Member

You've asked a lot of questions.
    nofollow vs dofollow
    the issue with dofollow in the comment body itself is that you have issues where your blog will get flooded with people hawking their stuff on your site, the spam would be worse.. this also keeps spammers from benefiting if they slip through the cracks.

In terms of leaving sites in the coments, it has to do with the above and a little more. First if they really want to leave a comment they may feel that leaving their site will get it "moderated" because you don't have a spot for them to leave their site. I'd include that in the comment form, or use something like commentluv for WordPress which is great for fellow bloggers leaving details for you.

3. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

jhoecannon: I would think you would be better off to have them assigned a "dofollow" tag so that more people would leave comments. Just curious.
    Just decide whether you want quality comments or more number of comments. Removing the nofollow would simply encourage spammers to post a line or two in disguise of comments.

4. jhoecannon

jhoecannon New Member

Thanks Vishal and Carterstory,

OK, I think I have the answer to the "dofollow" and "nofollow" question, now, can anyone tell me that if putting your website's URL in the space that says "website", does that create a back link or do you actually have to place your URL in the body of the comment?

5. Vishal P. Rao

Both the links (body and website field) will have nofollow applied to the links so it's the same.

6. jhoecannon

jhoecannon New Member

Vishal,

Thanks. But, what if I find a dofollow blog? Does placing your URL in the space marked "website" create a back link or do you also have to also place it in the body of the comment?

I know that most blogs allow the website owner to review these comments before they're posted and often don't allow other URL's.

So, if I leave my website's address only in the space marked "website" and not in the body of the comment (and, under the assumption this is a dofollow blog), have I successfully created a back link to my site?

7. pcwork

pcwork New Member

You can find do follow blog lists at various forums.

8. Vishal P. Rao

jhoecannon: So, if I leave my website's address only in the space marked "website" and not in the body of the comment (and, under the assumption this is a dofollow blog), have I successfully created a back link to my site?
    Yes you have.

9. jhoecannon

jhoecannon New Member

pcwork and Vishal,

Thanks! I believe that answers my questions.