Questions about age and getting started

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by jeff081692, Jan 3, 2009.

1. jeff081692

jeff081692 New Member

Hi, I am 16 years old and I want to know if it is possible for me to start working online at this age. I don't need to make alot of money yet, just want a little extra cash until I get use to things and can do it full time when I get out of school. So if anybody can recommend any online opportunities that a 16 year old can take advantage of that would be great.

Right now I plan to start teaching chess on ICC since all I have to do is say im not an offical vendor and I can give lessons there.

2. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the forum. Sure, you can get started online even though you are only 16. Oh, how I wish I could have started this when I was 16! [​IMG]

What I would recommend is for you to think about something you really enjoy and will continue to enjoy for a long time (maybe chess?). You can build an online web business around that topic or some variation of it.

This is how it works in a nutshell.
    1. You find out what phrases people are typing in to Google, etc., related to that topic.
    2. You build a page on your site for each of those phrases providing good information about it.
    3. Google (and the other search engines) send you free traffic (visitors). This is people who are looking for what you are offering.
    4. You sign up to Google Adsense and put their code on your site. You get paid every time a visitor clicks on one of the ads.
    5. You find products related to your niche topic that have affiliate programs. You refer your visitors to them and when they make a purchase you earn commissions.
    6. Eventually, you may want to add some of your own products (an ebook about particular chess strategies maybe?) to sell, etc.

There is so much you can add and build upon, but the greatest benefit is that the business and the traffic is YOURS.

I know of a teenage girl who started a website when she was your age and it more than pays for her college education now. It's an ever growing business.

If you'd like more info. on how to actually DO this, download the free ebooks in my signature below and do some reading. It's not as hard as it sounds when you have step by step instructions. [​IMG]

I truly wish you the best of success,
    Angie

3. jeff081692

jeff081692 New Member

Thank you very much happywife. It does seem like a hard thing to do at first but I think after reading the ebooks and asking more questions when I get them I can actually make this work.

4. chrisbag

chrisbag New Member

Hi Jeff

Me too happywife, how i wish the opportunity had been there when i was 16.

Jeff Im sure you will make it work for you and i wish you all the best for you venture.

5. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Absolutely it can work for you Jeff and I am right there with the others - sure wish I had found it at age 16!

Start a blog at wordpress about your Chess stuff - and go from there, like happywife said.[​IMG]

6. jeff081692

jeff081692 New Member

Thanks everybody seems very helpful.

Im going to lay my plan out now and I want you guys to see if I have the right approach. So I will start a blog like recommended, using that to advertise my site and give some chess tips. Then on my site I give more detailed chess tips and make money from traffic. Then in the future start selling ebooks on my site.

Do you think 110mb is a good place to start my website?

7. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Jeff,

If you don't know anything about building a website, and search engine optimization, keyword research, etc., you'd be much better off using a program like SBI for your first site.

They "train" you to do it right so that you get free traffic to your site. Just having a website - even if it full of great content - doesn't mean you will get traffic. Sounds crazy, I know, but that's how search engines work.

You have to be able to know how to find the exact phrases people are searching for, then know how to use those phrases in key places on your page (not too many, not too few) so that the search engines favor you and list you on the first page or so in the search results.

There are a variety of tools and materials that you can find to learn how to do this, but for beginners, SBI has the best laid out system all in one place with the tools and training included along with the domain and hosting.

SBI isn't free, though. But if you are serious about making a real long term business out of this, the free sites are just not going to cut it. At the very least, you'll need to spend something on your own domain name and hosting.

If I were in your position, I would skip the wordpress blog and go right into SBI and start your website right away. Down the road, if you still want an additional blog, then consider it.

A friend of mine just purchased during SBI's buy1get1free sale (that ends Jan. 5) and gave a site building package to each of her teenage children for Christmas. They are thrilled and are already half way through the brainstorming/researching process and very excited about building an online business.

I certainly wouldn't have recommended that my friend spend the money on SBI, if I wasn't 100% confident that it was the best option.

That's just my opinion based on my personal experience with the company. If you can scrounge up the money - go for it!

All the best,
    Angie