Relax please...

Discussion in 'Stress Management' started by Vishal P. Rao, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Here are some beautiful proverbs on relaxation (which is a very scare commodity in today's life) I came across in my newspaper...

A mind filled with tension and unhappiness is the result of a toxic centre. Such a mind creates problems for self and others.

In contrast, a mind which is relaxed and happy comes from a nourishing centre. Transforming a toxic centre is the hallmark of wisdom.

Swami Sukhabodhananda

Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are.

Chinese Proverb

Take a rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop.

Ovid

We live longer than our forefathers; but we suffer more from a thousand artificial anxieties and cares. They fatigued only the muscles, we exhaust the finer strength of the nerves.

E bulwer-Lytton

The time to relax is when you don't have time for it.

Goodwin & Harris

Men for the sake of getting a living forget to live.

Margaret Fuller

A poor life this if,
    full of care,
    We have no time to
    stand and stare.

W H Davies

2. netjobs

netjobs Member

Quoting: Vishal P. RaoE bulwer-Lytton

The time to relax is when you don't have time for it.

That's a pretty nice one... and some more collections...

Your power is proportional to your ability to relax.
    David Allen

I'm supposed to relax and concentrate on the image of myself out there skating my race.
    Mary Docter

I've always been fortunate in that I've been able to put myself in my own zone and relax. It comes naturally. I'm lucky to be that way.
    Michael Phelps

Enjoy the successes that you have, and don't be too hard on yourself when you don't do well. Too many times we beat up on ourselves. Just relax and enjoy it.
    Patty Sheehan

3. Izrul

Izrul New Member

Quoting: Vishal P. RaoThe time to relax is when you don't have time for it.

As mentioned by netjobs, this is a nice quote. It makes me think as well. I just wonder how am I going to relax when I don't even have time for it? Any ideas how to do this?

I can only think of one which is taking a holiday when our workload at the office are getting heavier. But then again, when we come back, we are going to have that stress and tension moment again.[​IMG]

4. freecashhappens

freecashhappens New Member

I belive balance is key to stress reduction. Not too much of any one thing should keep you balanced. You have to be the one who keeps the balance flowing. Only YOU know when enough is enough. I have a strict schedule and I keep to it. That is what keeps me balanced. Get a planner or an appointment book and set appointments. That's the only way I can stay balanced.

5. ferlin

ferlin New Member

"Man is so made that he can only find relaxation from one kind of labor by taking up another"
    That is man! [​IMG]
    But really, we should all relax once in a while. I've often heard it being said that you work better after you've sharpened your ax. Enjoy! [​IMG]

6. joshuab

joshuab New Member

Thanks for the post vishal.. and even yoga and meditation helps a great deal in overcoming stress and depression.

7. CarrieLyn

CarrieLyn Guest

ferlin: I've often heard it being said that you work better after you've sharpened your ax.
    Ahh, so true! It's kind of like trying to multi-task, you're not really doing anything at the best of your ability.

The same goes for relaxing after or even during a hard day's work. If you're staring at a blank page trying to write an article or wondering what to tackle next on your to do list the best thing to do is to walk away from it all for a few minutes and relax. Go for a short walk outdoors, do a little gardening, or tinker with your toys. [​IMG] Do whatever it is that for you helps you get centered and you'll be ready to tackle your work with a refreshed mind.

I've tried this many times and I'm always amazed at how efficient I am once I've walked away from something and then come back to it. I swear it takes 1/2 the time to accomplish it with a fresh head than it would have if I'd tried to stay in front of my computer and force the effort.

8. ryanbiddulph

ryanbiddulph New Member

A sensational list Vishal. Relaxation is when Everything happens. Focus on the capital "E", remove the ego and you'll know what I'm saying.

9. ethenmorsn86

ethenmorsn86 New Member

Nice post thanks for giving such a good information. Do you have any other ideas for relaxation because, i am suffering from anxiety from last two months. Can you suggest me, what kind of exercise i should do?

10. Vishal P. Rao

Just check out other topics in the stress management forum. There are plenty of tips.

11. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

That is great Vishal. Thanks for sharing. Great quotes.

Tal

12. wealthbuilders

wealthbuilders New Member

Great post - I try to follow the "I'm too blessed to be stressed," motto.

13. weblearner

weblearner New Member

Thanks for the post vishal..
    Although yoga and meditation helps a great deal in overcoming stress and depression but if you sleep continuous 8 hours it'll help you much more because I have tested many meditation and yoga technique. Also do meditate "15 mints' before sleep.

14. Vishal P. Rao

weblearner: Also do meditate "15 mints' before sleep.
    With the present fast paced core 2 duo lifetsyle, I feel 15 minutes wouldn't be enough. to experience deep restful sleep. One must try to meditate for at least half an hour before sleep or even more if you do lot of computer work and thinking.

15. weblearner

weblearner New Member

Vishal P. Rao: With the present fast paced core 2 duo lifetsyle
    for which i said at least '15 mints;

Vishal P. Rao: to experience deep restful sleep. One must try to meditate for at least half an hour before sleep or even more if you do lot of computer work and thinking.
    that is very good but maximum people don't want meditate for another resin. some mediation don't allow to do before sleep. ..as sudarsan cria (art of living). Yes i have tested it before sleep.

i am requesting you to do meditation at least 15 mints and before 15 mints going to bed for maximum profit.

16. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Relaxation (effortlessness) is a core ingredient for attaining any good thing or condition in this world. It can be used to promote health, clarity of mind, and to develop a range of qualities that can help us advance and improve our lifestyles.

If we truly mastered the art of relaxation and understood how to align ourselves with Universal principles, we would embrace and appreciate the ease with which we could row our boats gently down the stream of life.

Hermas

17. Vishal P. Rao

weblearner: some mediation don't allow to do before sleep. ..as sudarsan cria (art of living).
    Sudarshan Kriya is a breathing technique and not meditation. They are two different things.

A8ch: Relaxation (effortlessness) is a core ingredient for attaining any good thing or condition in this world. It can be used to promote health, clarity of mind, and to develop a range of qualities that can help us advance and improve our lifestyles.
    Exactly! Here's a beautiful Chinese proverb:

Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are.

18. bing

bing New Member

Vishal P. Rao: Men for the sake of getting a living forget to live.
    This is soooo true especially with home jobs. You see I have a day job and at the same time accept online jobs. I work more than 10 hours a day and sometimes way way beyond just to meet with deadlines.

Vishal P. Rao: The time to relax is when you don't have time for it.
    So I guess this will be the right solution.