Removing URL from search engine listing...Help..

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by TheWinner, Jun 9, 2008.

1. TheWinner

TheWinner New Member

Hey Guys

Does anyone here know how to remove a URL from search engine listings like Google etc...???

2. mikemillard

mikemillard New Member

Hello. (New user here. My first post!)
    You'll need to log onto Google (it should remember you if you have cookies set). Click:

And follow the prompts from there.

Also, you can use the HTML code:
    on those web pages that you DO NOT want to have indexed by the major search engines. But be warned, not all search engines actually pay attention to the noindex-nofollow meta tag, though most do. Adding this line of code to your web pages might require you to hire a web programmer, if you are not familiar with HTML editors.

This trick will not stop the main URL from showing up in a search, but it will instruct the web crawlers / spiders to ignore any other links (web pages) that are present on the main page. Hope this helps. Mike
  3. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

Why would you want to remove a URL from Google?
  4. TheWinner

TheWinner New Member

Thanks Mike, and welcome to the forum!

getagrip, it's just a blog that I don't use anymore [​IMG]

5. Homeboy

Homeboy New Member

It should disappear on its own the next time the googlebot tries to visit the page and finds it missing...
  6. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Good one Mike. That is the correct solution.

Always nice to see a person post who knows HTML. This is a case in point where learning HTML is helpful.

You can also create and upload a robots.txt file in a web folder rather than bothering with each new page.

TheWinner: If you are talking about a hosted (free hosting) blog, you should be able to set the blog to "private" rather than "public". That may help.

~Newbie Shield~
  7. herwindz

herwindz New Member

wow thanks
    now i know how to remove my site if i dont want it to be list.
    BIG thanks
  8. TheWinner

TheWinner New Member

Its a handy post this, I have also managed to remove the link I needed too, thanks guys! [​IMG]