Security, SSL, PGP, etc

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by Pengyou, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Pengyou

Pengyou New Member

I know this is a bit of a technical topic but I am hoping to get a layman's answer. I live in China and want to be able to send secure e-mails, i.e. not able to be opened by others in transit. Can you tell me how to do this? I am looking now for webhosts. BTW, thanks for your very valuable article on webhosts. I am going to take your advice and buy my own domains. I have read several posts and articles on the internet about this topic but am confused by the detail. What I need to know is what questions do I need to ask the webhost providers? From what I have read PGP seems to be the best. Does it require special software installed on the server? the individual computer? Both? Will it work for webmail? I am in the midst of making an e-mail that I want to mail off to possible website hosts and I want to know how to ask questions about this. Part of my test...if respond to my e-mail in a timely manner that will be a good sign that they MAY have pretty good customer service. If they take too long...scratch them off the list!

Thanks

2. cupbucket

cupbucket New Member

All email is monitored anyway. But I really have no idea.

3. cherie27

cherie27 New Member

I think PGP is installed on client pc.

But the other party must have the software.

Correct me if i am wrong.