SEO or Website design and functionality?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by Dimasalang, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Dimasalang

Dimasalang New Member

I'm just curious about this. I read an article stating that being on the top rank doesn't necessarily mean that you have to apply all SEO there is on the web. And that a good website design, functionality and better content will yield regular visitors in time.

It's like this, you create a website/blog stuff it with SEO then after some time you reached the top PR. Although there are a number of visitors, most of them just comes to check out the site and leave immediately and never comes back because of poor web design and content.

On the other hand, you create a website/blog and make it costumer friendly(create good content and easy navigation), Not focusing on SEO but more on your website. Though being on the top PR will take time, having customers that come and will come again the next day will help you through that rank.

Is the second situation possible?
  2. jeffreysloe

jeffreysloe New Member

Pagerank may not be as important as a page ranking high in the search engines. Does PageRank have anything to do with a site ranking well for a certain keyword? With that said, are you asking about a PageRank of 10, or a web site that is ranking high in the search engines for a certain keyword?

Many webmasters will tell you from experience that other factors besides PageRank, such as keyword density and placement, have taken a larger role in website ranking. No one will argue that PageRank has become irrelevant, but there is significant evidence to suggest that PageRank is not quite as important of a factor in website ranking as it once was.

Depending on your keyword, it's possible to nail down a top position in the searches, which is a lot easier than getting a PR of 10.
  3. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

jeffreysloe: Depending on your keyword, it's possible to nail down a top position in the searches, which is a lot easier than getting a PR of 10.
    Amen. Well said. I have keyword focused pages that rank at #1 on google for the keyword phrase but the page rank for that page is 0.[​IMG]
  4. jeffreysloe

jeffreysloe New Member

Yep, that's the way it works!

Congrats on getting to the top of Google.

Jeff
  5. advertise

advertise New Member

Dimasalang: Though being on the top PR will take time, having customers that come and will come again the next day will help you through that rank.
    OK... first of all do not worry so much about PR. You are better off concentrating on your SERPS. PR does not guarantee traffic or even sales conversions. People all too often make the mistake on concentrating on PR when in reality PR is simply a prestigious recognition but does not ensure anything at all.
  6. samda

samda Member

Dimasalang: I'm just curious about this. I read an article stating that being on the top rank doesn't necessarily mean that you have to apply all SEO there is on the web. And that a good website design, functionality and better content will yield regular visitors in time.

It's like this, you create a website/blog stuff it with SEO then after some time you reached the top PR. Although there are a number of visitors, most of them just comes to check out the site and leave immediately and never comes back because of poor web design and content.

On the other hand, you create a website/blog and make it costumer friendly(create good content and easy navigation), Not focusing on SEO but more on your website. Though being on the top PR will take time, having customers that come and will come again the next day will help you through that rank.

Is the second situation possible?
    It is Yes and No. If you create a website with value, love and passion second option is good. It grows slowly but gives benefit in long term.

But on the other way if you are out for money, pick serious link building and SEO.

Just my 2 cents.
  7. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

I'd say to do your best to win the best of both worlds. Make it SEO friendly, but also make sure it converts - otherwise you are wasting your time. If you know about SEO, find a course in copywriting so that you can write effective sales copy, but if you know a lot about copywriting, find a course in SEO. Never hurts to be well rounded...
  8. jamess

jamess Member

Your site would be SEO friendly. If your site will not support search engine algos then your site would not rank well..
  9. gowriter

gowriter Member

You need both. I work as a linkbuilder for a digital marketing company working with brick and mortar clients, and I've encountered both situations.

I have a client who's got great linkbuilding on it, but the website is jacked in someway, possible from the transfer from it's old domain. That can affect your website.

I've seen websites that were beautifully done and put together, but there was little traffic because they're in a niche that's very narrow. So finding lots of authoritative links can be difficult. That's when you start thinking about local seo, review sites, YELP, and other things that should come into play.

So you have to have a nice design. You have to have goo linkbuilding. And you definitely need good on-site SEO.

Now, if the only thing you're promoting is a, selling affiliate products or something digital, that's a whole lot easier to rank because a wordpress CMS platform is easy optimize and easy to rank on the search engines.

Your real challenge with a blog is producing content that people want to read. Your blog posts are your property, so think of articles, videos, surveys, memes. I don't care if you put a list of 5 Top Harlem shake Videos. If it's relevant to your audience, they'll read it.

To get yourself heard, guest post on other people's blogs. That usually helps. Study what other people are interested in and the type of stuff that constantly gets tweeted and Google plussed and facebooked to get an idea of the topics that interest readers.

But don't copy it. Don't even re-write it unless you give it a very different angle. Encourage people to interact and leave comments. Ask them questions, etc.
  10. CatherineK

CatherineK Member

I'm with getaprip and gowriter. Both...it actually makes a lot of sense....no need to over analyze it.