Squidoo closed my lens after changing my payment settings

Discussion in 'Squidoo' started by samda, Feb 7, 2010.

1. samda

samda Member

Folks,

I had a lens which was getting decent traffic and was earning good money. I had default payment settings -> To charity.

Lately I watched the earnings went high to considerable limit that I changed the payment settings. Yeah, I wanted the money right in my paypal.

To my surprise, squidoo closed my lens and when I contacted them, they said, it is inappropriate type of lens. Of course it is affiliate related website. I see quite a lot of lenses roaming around the net.

The lens was alive over an year. They just closed when I changed the payment settings. Any one faced similar situation?

2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Hello Samuel - I am sorry to hear that. They are shutting down lenses again that they call inapporpiate. I had some of my lenses targeted as well that were totally fine, but I just deleted them as they weren't getting that much traffic anyway.

You may want to take this opportunity, now that you KNOW you have a good niche... to set your own site where YOU have control over what you can market.

If you were getting decent traffic then you would benefit from being able to place your own adsense ads on it as well.

Time to take another step up.[​IMG]

3. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

I hope it is okay to post this for informational reasons only:
    (This is not me Lens/
    http://www.squidoo.com/squiddont
    After these changes were made, I had to un-publish my affiliate Lenses as well.

This is why it is best to have our own websites/domains and use Squidoo, Hubs, etc. to create quality back link to out main sites.

I know, Squidoo ranks well, but we must stay within the TOS.
    At least that are kind about it as opposed to other platforms.
    Victoria

4. francisco81

francisco81 New Member

I am not sure why they did that. I have a squidoo lens but they say I have to many links to one site so they don't let me ad to it. Squidoo has gotten me referrals without promoting my lens at all. So I hope things work out for you with squidoo.

5. CarrieLyn

CarrieLyn Guest

Hi Samuel,

Squidoo has recently been going through all of their lenses and re grading them or whatever they call it there. There are a lot of topics that just aren't allowed any more and they also now have a limit on the number of links that you have to one domain on your lens.

I think what probably happening is you changing your payment status brought your lens up to the front to be scrutinized and it was locked. Did they provide any explanation to what happened?

6. Margo Tuul

Margo Tuul New Member

If your lens is about something really popular, there is high chance that your lens will be closed. Soon lots of people start making lenses about this topic, and this will lead to ... shutting down your lens.

Like MLM. Whats wrong with MLM or Network Marketing? Nothing.
    Well...Its a spam in Squidoo.

7. treevee

treevee Member

That's just downright awful since you were going to generate income for yourself! I wonder if they would've done that if you kept it towards charity? -- whether it was brought up to the forefront or not?

I went to the link that Victoria posted and there was a link in that lens about an update -- Squidoo Update - May, 2010

Awww, man! No more miraculous Acai sales pitches!!! (Gosh, I hope your lens wasn't about that! [​IMG] )

8. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Sorry to hear about your lens being closed . When you use Squidoo, blogger, wordpress or any other domain you do not control, you always run the risk that it will be closed without reason.

9. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

mountainmom5: Hello Samuel - I am sorry to hear that. They are shutting down lenses again that they call inapporpiate. I had some of my lenses targeted as well that were totally fine, but I just deleted them as they weren't getting that much traffic anyway.

You may want to take this opportunity, now that you KNOW you have a good niche... to set your own site where YOU have control over what you can market.

If you were getting decent traffic then you would benefit from being able to place your own adsense ads on it as well.

Time to take another step up
    That would be a great way to go. When you have your own website, you control it and no one else.

I am really sorry that they took the site down but this should give you an idea on what you can do when you control your own site.

10. winlin

winlin New Member

That's a tough situation one, but I have to agree with those that mentioned this is one reason it makes sense to have your own web site.

When you are sitting on real estate that belongs to someone else this is the risk you take.

good luck...