succes in writing

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Robert20, May 25, 2011.

1. Robert20

Robert20 New Member

How much content generally speaking do you need to write in order to be a successfull...profitable blogger. I love writing in my blog, but i don't do it for money because i've tried it and I simply can't come up with enough creative content that people would actually want to read. how do people do it...come up with so much to write about.
  2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Sometimes its hard! After building over a hundred pages on one of my sites though it is so rewarding to get a decent check from it.[​IMG]

It depends on your niche of course, but if you pick something that is easy for you to write about then it will come together. I think happywife has many hundreds of pages on her chocolate site which seems like a daunting task to me but I keep building... maybe someday I can make ten times more than I do now.[​IMG]
  3. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Some hire ghost writers and guest bloggers to create content for them.
    You can pad your site with some ezine articles, that's why people write them.
    May not prove you can write but proves you can read and share what you learn.
    Most people are looking for guidance more than an expert.
    Some will even prefer someone who's not a know it all.[​IMG]
  4. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Robert20: How much content generally speaking do you need to write in order to be a successfull...profitable blogger. I love writing in my blog, but i don't do it for money because i've tried it and I simply can't come up with enough creative content that people would actually want to read. how do people do it...come up with so much to write about.
    Hi Robert,

I've found that the secret for me to be able to come up with "more and more creative content that people actually want to read" is to do more and more keyword research. Yep! It's as simple as that.

I let the keywords direct me on what to write. Essentially, this is allowing your future visitors tell you what they are looking for even before they arrive on your site/blog.

For example, I once was considering purchasing a site about "chili" that someone had up for sale. I went into my keyword brainstorming tool and did a search to see what people were looking for when it came to the subject of chili.

Here are a portion of the phrases being searched every month...
    best chili recipe
    vegetarian chili recipe
    vegetarian chili
    white chili
    ground beef chili
    chicken chili recipe
    chicken chili
    white chili recipe
    chilies
    easy chili recipe
    crock pot chili
    award winning chili recipe
    chili con carne
    chile peppers
    texas chili
    chili pepper
    chili sauce
    chili powder
    turkey chili recipe
    evil chili
    texas chili recipe
    white chicken chili recipe
    chili con carne recipe
    chile food
    hot dog chili recipe
    turkey chili
    cincinnati chili
    skyline chili
    chili sauce recipe
    white chicken chili
    homemade chili recipe
    award winning chili recipes
    green chile
    red hot chili peppers lyrics
    white bean chicken chili
    chili verde
    crock pot chili recipe
    hot chili
    chile pepper
    green chili stew recipe
    chile rellenos recipe
    best chili recipe ever
    chile recipe
    black bean chili
    chili powder recipe
    venison chili
    chili relleno recipe
    cincinnati chili recipe
    chile rellenos
    green chili
    pork chili
    chili bowl
    green chili recipe
    slow cooker chili
    wendys chili recipe
    hot dog chili
    crockpot chili
    chile recipes
    winning chili recipes
    texas chili recipes
    chili recipies
    crockpot chili recipes
    low carb chili
    chili verde recipe
    crockpot chili recipe

The Brainstorming tool also told me how many times per month each phrase was being searched for and how much competition there was for each phrase.

I could then pick through the list and choose keyword phrases that I thought would fit my site concept well and were "win-able" (meaning not too competitive).

That would provide me with the ideas of what to write for each page.

If I ran out of good phrases, I'd just go back into the brainstorming tool and do another related search, either more specific (chili sauce), or related (hot sauce, or spicy food) and do it again.

I don't have to "invent" information to provide. That strains my brain too much. [​IMG] I just follow the keywords and give people what they are looking for.

You do the same for ANY subject you decide to focus your theme based site on and off you go.

Hope that inspires you a bit and helps you out.
    Blessings,
    Angie
  5. jeremybarker

jeremybarker New Member

Robert20
    I would definitely try some guest blogging but of course, natural and original content is the best. Depending on what you blog is about you can write about a multitude of different things. I guess some people just have a gift of writing and when they start, ideas just flow.

That is kind of where I am at and although my blogging may not be good to everyone, I enjoy it and anyone that enjoys an average guy writing about his experiences along with some marketing and inspirations tips along the way will enjoy it.

Myabe one day I will grab a hold of something that will draw the attention that I am looking for but one tip from me is never give up and stop completely..
  6. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix New Member

That's great SEO advice happywife! Keyword research gives you both ideas of what to write about (and you can write A LOT about each individual keyphrase) and the knowledge of what to target. If you do SEO well, you can get rich without talking to a single person. Although talking to people is part of what a rewarding business career is about, so don't avoid your human brothers even if you can!
  7. happywife

happywife Gold Member

ThePhoenix: If you do SEO well, you can get rich without talking to a single person. Although talking to people is part of what a rewarding business career is about, so don't avoid your human brothers even if you can!
    Very true! Two things I love about it is first, that when you DO talk to people, they are coming to YOU, so you don't feel like you have to push yourself (or your products or services) on others.

Secondly, you do it on YOUR schedule. I'm in Tokyo at the moment with a half day wait for my connecting flight. If I feel like shopping, site seeing or anything else, I can do that or pop in here and chat for a few minutes, check my emails, etc.

Having an online business is SO flexible. You can have "holidays" whenever you want them and the business keeps plugging away in the background. Marvelous!

Back to the main subject, for me, keyword research is the absolute most vital ingredient for building a successful website. There's more that needs to be right, of course, but if you don't get the keyword research right, you're doomed.

Blessings,
    Angie
  8. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

It is really hard to predict how much traffic and how much sales you are going to get into your blog or articles page online.

If the work at home niche was not so competitive in terms of articles that are out there online, it would be a whole lot easier to get more and more people reading your content.

I have written over 300 articles on my site and get about 10-20 clicks per day from all of them. Is that great? Not at all. Remember all the competition out there that I and many have.

I still think that article marketing should be a very small part of your marketing because you can not predict it.

PPC and other paid advertising is still by far the best way to get good traffic that converts into sales.

I have tested article marketing in the past 2-3 years and must say that this strategy alone can not get you very far.
  9. happywife

happywife Gold Member

talfighel: I have written over 300 articles on my site and get about 10-20 clicks per day from all of them. Is that great? Not at all. Remember all the competition out there that I and many have.

I still think that article marketing should be a very small part of your marketing because you can not predict it.
    talfighel: I have tested article marketing in the past 2-3 years and must say that this strategy alone can not get you very far.
    It sounds like you are combining the concepts of article marketing to directories and content writing on your own site into one concept - when it is really 2 entirely different forms of marketing.

If you have written 300 articles and added them to your own site and are only getting 10-20 clicks per day (visitors), you are definitely not doing great. I would have to assume that you are not doing proper keyword research or not building your pages correctly (for SEO purposes) if you are really getting that little traffic for your efforts.

Adding content/articles to your own site should bring in lots of free traffic daily when you do it correctly. It doesn't happen in the first few weeks, but if you've been adding those pages over several months, you should have built up much more traffic by now.

If you are actually writing content for article directories instead of your own site, then I can understand why you would be getting such low numbers daily. That is what most people refer to as "article marketing." When you are writing articles and submitting them to directories, you are building someone else's content and business more than your own.

Article marketing can have some benefit, of course, but my personal thinking on it is that I'd rather add the content to my site rather than someone else's.

Have I misunderstood you by chance?

Blessings,
    Angie
  10. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

I have been more focused on adding content to the site as opposed to article marketing as well. Today though I got the report from Ezine about my article stats and the keywords that were being used to find my articles. I took those keywords and created new articles, only now they go on my blogs and site and not to Ezine.

Seems to be working as traffic is at a slow and steady crawl upwards. I added new content to one today, posted it on facebook and had over 100 hits the first hour from facebook.
  11. chukky27

chukky27 New Member

I write articles and submit them to a couple article directories. I use Ezinearticles and Goarticles and link them to my site. Article directories are a good place to get content for your blog/site. And it's free. One article went to the first page of google in about 4 or 5 days. I don't know why. I didn't really do anything except write it and submit it to ezinearticles. First time that ever happened. I have gotten some good traffic to my site as a result. And that article is still getting views every day.