super skeptical noob

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Wrathraven, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Wrathraven New Member

hi all,i am what you would call the most skeptical and untrusting person in the world.not paranoid but just let down countless times by people and scams of all sorts(,there seems to be a science to scams.)anyways i AM SICK OF ONLY DEPENDING ON SSI MONEY! so as a last ditch effort i am trying to see if there's any truth and success in this work at home venture.i applied for a popular work at home add thinking it was legit because it had been featured on cnn and other news networks,but at the end, by them asking credit card info just set my scam alarms off.anyone willing to point me in the right direction? walk the noob through in the doos and donts? any help would be utterly and completely GODLY!!
    CHEERS!
  2. kenwrites New Member

Hi there Wrathraven,

Not sure who or what you signed up for, but most Internet marketing programs are going to ask for money. You are basically paying for knowledge and a plan of action.

Do's:

Your due diligence and research everything. Don't depend on the first page of Google either.

Ask questions. Come in here and ask questions because there is a lot of knowledge in here.

Expect to work your butt off. Afterall, it's a business. Just without a brick building and foot traffic. Although it is easier online, it is also deceptively difficult in the beginning.

Don'ts:

Don't try one way for two-weeks and then drop it to purchase or invest in a different program. That'll just break your wallet.

Don't expect money to suddenly roll in overnight because you are working a program. The money will come, but the process of traffic building and getting comfortable with your program takes some time.

Don't think that any question is dumb. There is no dumb question. If you aren't sure of something, ask.

Above all, have some fun with what you are doing. If you're not having fun, it isn't worth doing because then it's just another job.
  3. RICH4NURICHE New Member

Wrathraven, kenwrites hit the nail right on the head with this one! I know how you feel, it is absolutely fustrating and can be an ambition killer. You definitely need to be focused on your specific goal and the rest will come to you later. Do not rush into anything and do some personal developing along the way. This is key to every successful person both in their personal and business aspects of life. Most people will just quit. By coming here you have certainly shown that you still have'nt given up. Eventually, you will find what "fits" you. This is a journey and you're off to a good start! So, on that note, what is your goal?
  4. eyestar88 New Member

Wrathraven
    Hey Wrathraven,
    I've been working from home for about 3 years now, and another good way to avoid scams is only to go with companies that have good ratings with the BBB (better business bureau) If you are still looking for work, and want a good list of companies that i've worked for, email me, and I can compile that for you.
    All the Best,
    Tiffanie Ice
  5. happywife Gold Member

Hi wrathraven,

It's definitely true that if you want to genuinely build an online business for additional income, you'll probably be better off paying for a properly proven system that will teach you how to do it and provide you the tools to do so.

Having said that, there is MUCH to be skeptical about! I would have to say that the majority of promotions/ads for "make money online" are (though maybe not exactly scams) absolute rubbish. Of course there are the scams, too! You are wise to be cautious.

Be careful of sales pitches that use phrases like "turnkey" or "set it and forget it" or claims that they'll provide you with your own website and "all" you have to do is send traffic to it, etc.

Pretty much anything that is going to tell you that you'll be making money quickly is something I'd avoid. If it was as easy as all that, we'd all be swimming in riches. [IMG]

Now that we've got that out of the way, there ARE genuine ways to build an online income. It can be done at a very low cost (money-wise), but you'll have to invest a lot of your effort. There's always an investment to be made in building a business. The question is whether you can put it in - the time or the money or a bit of both.

Have you done any research at all yet? Are you familiar with the concept of affiliate marketing? This is the idea of referring other people's products or services and earning a commission on any sales generated through your referrals. It's a good way for most people to get started online with the lowest amount of start up investment.

This is how I started out and it's been a profitable journey. You need to learn how to do it correctly, which is really where the "cost" comes in. I invested in a program that teaches you step by step what to do because I had no prior knowledge and wanted to be sure that if I put in the effort it would be worthwhile and not a waste of time.

Have a think about what you reasonably can afford to do, what your interests might be, and then let us know and we'll try to point you in the right direction for you, so you don't waste any time or money.

Blessings,
    Angie
  6. Wrathraven New Member

happywife
    well, the thing is that i want success,so as far as what i can afford,i would invest,but like you said,i just want unbiased guidance.i guess i would need to know a ballpark figure on how much money i would need? and when or if i need to invest more would the efforts from my initial investment generate any funds to help cover it. my interests include computer games,films,fantasy art,comic books,music,guitars,classic muscle cars,guns and classic westerns.but the main goal is to make money.i know it wont happen overnite but i want to at least get the ball rolling,the right way.im chuffed to bits for all the help in advance.
    Cheers!
  7. Wrathraven New Member

kenwrites
    thanks so much for the guidance.knowledge IS power.
  8. Wrathraven New Member

RICH4NURICHE
    my goal is instead of playing Skyrim,fallout new Vegas,or call of duty i would use that time making some money and be more independent.seriously.
  9. happywife Gold Member

Wrathraven: happywife
    well, the thing is that i want success,so as far as what i can afford,i would invest,but like you said,i just want unbiased guidance.i guess i would need to know a ballpark figure on how much money i would need? and when or if i need to invest more would the efforts from my initial investment generate any funds to help cover it. my interests include computer games,films,fantasy art,comic books,music,guitars,classic muscle cars,guns and classic westerns.but the main goal is to make money.i know it wont happen overnite but i want to at least get the ball rolling,the right way.im chuffed to bits for all the help in advance.
    Cheers!
    Well, just knowing you have all those interests is a great step in the right direction. So many people have a hard time thinking of "anything" that they really enjoy to put their focus on. You're problem (if you want to call it that) will be narrowing it all down to one concept or theme to start with. [IMG]

The initial cost of investment would depend on which route you take. I can tell you a bit more about my own story to give you an idea of the possibilities.

I started out with SBI 5 years ago. At that time the cost was $299 for a year (it still is), but it had to be paid up front and that gave you all you needed - domain, hosting, site building tools, step by step instructions to build a niche website business, and a whole lot of "extras."

After thoroughly reading up about it, I had a gut feeling that this was right for me because it just kind of "clicked" in my head and I got a real sense of the quality of the company. My hubby told me to go ahead and go for it, so I signed up and committed myself to putting for the effort of following their instructions faithfully for the full year. I figured if I made my $299 back by the end of the year, great. If not, I'd consider it an "education." [IMG]

That first year I made about $1500. Every year it increased (greatly) and by the fourth year I was making a full time income.

These days, the initial investment with SBI can be lower because of their monthly payment plan, but you pay a bit more if you pay monthly rather than yearly, so I stick with the one time annual payment to save money. [IMG]

I have 6 websites now. Once you have a really solid foundation built and the traffic and income coming in on one website, it's fun to branch out to a different topic with another site.

It's definitely a lot of work, but I've really learned to love it. I think most people who find online success feel the same way. It's just plain fun when you are building a business around something you enjoy.

Of course, using SBI is just one way to build an online business. I'm biased toward it because it's what I learned and love. Have a look around the forum and you'll see that there are others who have followed different paths and have also achieved success.

Each person needs to have a think and do some research to determine what suits them best.

Blessings,
    Angie
  10. Wrathraven New Member

11. danksta New Member

Angie, that sounds awesome! I am hoping to accomplish the same thing. Do you think someone can make money in that, starting in 2012?
  12. RICH4NURICHE New Member

Wrathraven, that is a great start. Knowing that you have to trade play time with work to achieve what you desire shows that your desire is stronger! Again, as happywife stated, the investment will depend on which route you take. I can probably put it this way, it boils down to building your business. Set your realistic goal(s) within a given time frame and write down a plan of action from what you decide to do. Stay focused on it and don't let the "bumps" on the road stop or slow you down.
  13. happywife Gold Member

danksta: Angie, that sounds awesome! I am hoping to accomplish the same thing. Do you think someone can make money in that, starting in 2012?

Without a doubt. If you follow the instructions and put in the effort, it's nearly inevitable. I would say it would be hard to fail. [IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  14. robinincarolina Silver Member

I am not a fan of those work from home opportunities that are everywhere. I can't get excited about a work from home opportunity. I do get excited about affiliate marketing though. I can find a niche that I am passionate about, find products that compliment them and work just doesn't seem like work anymore. I started out this way and now 3 years later I am considered an expert in my field and am creating my own products and making even more money. It just evolved and it all started with affiliate marketing. My first purchase was pot pie girl's "one week marketing", which I have tweaked a lot to create my own streams of incomes.

In the beginning it is a lot of work. Now I don't have to work hard at all. Sticking to it is the key. One thing and stick to it and stop jumping around with all the different opportunities.
  15. mountainmom5 Gold Member

happywife: Without a doubt. If you follow the instructions and put in the effort, it's nearly inevitable. I would say it would be hard to fail.

I totally say Amen to that.
    [IMG]
  16. Wrathraven New Member

ok i am pulling the "there are no stupid questions"card,bur recently i bought "the boy" a rc helicopter for his b-day.during the extensive research i did for pricing one,i stumbled onto a whole-sellers site for that exact same item,though i also saw the same helicopter at a much higher price on other sites(retail) then it clicked,i could do that! the scary part is investing 52$x6(being only sold in 6 piece bulk) what if they don't sell? is that the risk?i am testing this,since i ended up buying 2 i posted an ad on craigslist for the other one with a competitive price just to see what the action would be.i dunno,could be a totally dumb idea.any tips or comments would be a blessing from Odin himself.
  17. mountainmom5 Gold Member

you are right - no question is a stupid one. I have done the selling and reselling myself. It's how I found my niche. What you can do is go to Ebay and use the advanced research to look for 'completed listings' which will tell you what your exact item sells for on Ebay.

That is usually a pretty good indicator if you have a hot selling item. What a lot of folks do is set up blogs and websites to promote items that they buy at wholesale and resell, but that all takes time.

So many options! [IMG]
  18. happywife Gold Member

Wrathraven: the scary part is investing 52$x6(being only sold in 6 piece bulk) what if they don't sell? is that the risk?i am testing this,since i ended up buying 2 i posted an ad on craigslist for the other one with a competitive price just to see what the action would be.i dunno,could be a totally dumb idea.any tips or comments would be a blessing from Odin himself.
    Okay, I'm not following you 100%. Are you saying that you have to buy 6 planes at a time for $52 each? How did you end up being able to buy only 2?

You could contact the wholesaler and tell them that you are interested in being a distributor for them. Ask them if they would be willing to dropship the products for you. You then take orders (at a price you want to sell them for) and then pay the wholesaler (the discounted price) and they post them to the customer at the address you provide for them.

Not every company will do this, but many will. You just have to ask.

Otherwise, yes, you do have to run the risk of putting your money out there and hoping you can resell in a reasonable amount of time.

Unless you do what Viola suggested about selling on ebay, or you find that there is a good demand on Craigslist, you'd be better off waiting to make that investment until you have a website (about RC planes [IMG] ) and getting some decent traffic. Then you can justify the expense because you'd be much more likely to sell the planes to a targeted audience.

Blessings,
    Angie
  19. Wrathraven New Member

i bought 2 at retail price elsewhere,i saw about the wholesale prices later.a lot cheaper but i had to buy minimum quantity of 6
  20. Wrathraven New Member

this knowledge is pure gold