Three Way Linking - Does this have real value

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by samda, Mar 20, 2009.

1. samda

samda Member

Hi guys,

This is one of the critical question. To all who are wondering what is Three Way Linking all about, let me explain.

Three Way Linking
    This is one of the strategy of link building. But there is a high risk involved in this. Let us consider we have two sites, say Site A and Site B. A person comes with Site X and asks for a link exchange. Since link exchange / reciprocal links are not valued that much by search engines, we decide to do three way linking. Now we link the Site X in our Site A and ask the owner of Site X to link to Site B instead of Site A (As in reciprocal links).

[​IMG]

In the above example I have taken 2 websites (A & B) for the purpose of three way linking. This is just the basic. Literally there are webmasters who host 20 or 50 or even 100 websites to do this type of linking.

What is the use
    This is sometimes recognized by search engines as one way links and valued so much. If we really do this between related subject websites it is valued.

What is the danger
    On the other hand if search engines find that we do link trading, they may not value the link or even ban them.

How to use it effectively
    1) Host Site A and Site B in a different server (Different hosting provider) - This would probably make the search engines believe that both site are not related to each other.
    2) Make both the site valuable - Dont just create website for three way linking. Both the websites must be of the same subject and must have good ranks.
    3) Always try to not reveal the reality for SE.

My Advice
    I don't have any thing specific to say. Search engines see three way linking as a spam (I still doubt this[​IMG]). It will yield great result if done carefully. But certainly we have to look into other factors.

Well, I have explained the pros and cons of three way link building. Now it is the time to discuss.

What shall we discuss
    1) Let us discuss whether three way linking is good or not.
    2) If good, how to do it effectively.
    3) If bad, then what is the best way to develop one way links.
    4) Are you doing any three way linking.

Let us get our engines started !

Regards
    Sam
  2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

If done correctly I don't see anything wrong in this. However the most important part is managing them. Unless you have a software, it's almost impossible to manage them.

Also, unless you are hardcore in marketing, one wouldn't take the extra headache of managing three-way links. Even if it were effective, I doubt you could get many willing candidates for that.

Online Services

There are many online services like 3waylinks.net that offer such services. I happen to see some of the sites that have participated in the program and most of them have very less-zero PR. One reason could be that such services often have generic link pages and this could be easily identified by search engines. Most sites participating have linked to their links page through word friends. They don't even bother to be creative.

On other hand, if I were to start an exclusive 3-way network just within my niche, I wouldn't risk my site by making the scheme public [​IMG]
  3. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

I would think it would be better to link site A and B to X.
  4. samda

samda Member

getagrip: I would think it would be better to link site A and B to X.
    Lol. Then you get nothing out of it.

Vishal P. Rao: Unless you have a software, it's almost impossible to manage them.
    Are there any softwares for this purpose.

I still need to experiment this in a deeper manner

Edit:
    Hey guys,

After reading 3waylinks.net, it is clear that three way links are like a triangular series. A links to B, B links to C and C links to A again. This is not so valuable according to me. Search engines can easily notice this.

The method that I have described in this thread is (A to B, X to B and stopping it). Will this be considered as a one way link ?

Just lets finetune our discussion.

Sam
  5. Vishal P. Rao

There is an eBook called Revenge of the Mininet by Michael Campbell. It is about interlinking sites together to gain PR. It makes an interesting read. And it's free at the moment.
  6. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Active Member

So 3-waylinks.net is producing positive results? Am I understanding this correctly. I've seen them promoted around the net in several places.
  7. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

You guys are so funny!

Why not just create quality content to attract higher quality links naturally?

~Newbie Shield~
  8. samda

samda Member

Newbie Shield: You guys are so funny!

Why not just create quality content to attract higher quality links naturally?

~Newbie Shield~
    Yes, NS this is the foremost and the best thing. But talking more practically this don't click all the time.

There is a famous quote in our corporate world - "You need to brab about yourself". Yes we need to tell what we have and what we do and then the quality of the content comes into play.

Sam
  9. Newbie Shield

Okay Sam,

You spend your time supposedly learning how to game the system. I'll spend mine creating quality content.

My method has been working well for me for over 10 years. Let me know how it goes for you [​IMG]

~Newbie Shield~
  10. opendomain

opendomain New Member

Newbie Shield: You spend your time supposedly learning how to game the system. I'll spend mine creating quality content.
    LOL wisdom of the ages.

Quality on the net will always provide better LONG TERM results. I played with a format similar to this on how to "game" the system when I first started affiliate marketing earlier this year. Eventually I noticed the links disappearing from webmaster so I stopped doing it for the LINKAGE...BUT I did find that the small "web" I'd created was actually capturing traffic and organically transferring traffic between the sites. A key here was that the three sites were related and I was able to continually add content that varied between sites.

I did figure out how to effectively 3 way link sites, it's just too much of a hassle. Over time I've found it simply much easier and more effective to stick to the big three:

Article Marketing
    Press Releases
    Fresh SEO optimized content.

If done correctly it can be done, but like I said my experience has been the big 3 works much more effectively
  11. Vishal P. Rao

samueldarwin: Yes we need to tell what we have and what we do and then the quality of the content comes into play.
    Newbie Shield: You spend your time supposedly learning how to game the system. I'll spend mine creating quality content.
    Both complement each other and either won't work without the other. And both need to be balanced for optimum results. If you have excellent content but if you don't spread the word, then nobody will know about it. And if you have poor content but excellent marketing skills, then your results won't be as expected.

That being said, excellent content + poor marketing will deliver far better results than poor content + excellent marketing. And when excellent content meets good marketing, you have a winner!
  12. samda

samda Member

Vishal P. Rao: samueldarwin:
    Yes we need to tell what we have and what we do and then the quality of the content comes into play.

Newbie Shield:
    You spend your time supposedly learning how to game the system. I'll spend mine creating quality content.

Both complement each other and either won't work without the other. And both need to be balanced for optimum results. If you have excellent content but if you don't spread the word, then nobody will know about it. And if you have poor content but excellent marketing skills, then your results won't be as expected.

That being said, excellent content + poor marketing will deliver far better results than poor content + excellent marketing. And when excellent content meets good marketing, you have a winner!
    Excellent finish. I too was mentioning the same. May be I could have re-phrased. Currently I am NS fan, trying to create compelling topics on my nitche.

Thanks NS for your suggestion, this would help me to scale up a lot.

Sam
  13. Newbie Shield

Hi Sam,

You're welcome.

~Newbie Shield~
  14. aorjohn

aorjohn New Member

don't forget that google can see 3 way links
  15. jaesun16

jaesun16 New Member

[​IMG] Hi,

It is good idea, but

Why don't we just make good one, and put more efforts to get

more link?

I don't know,

It seems like it is getting more competitive for online businesses[​IMG]

Happy day~^^[​IMG]
  16. josaphlewis

josaphlewis Guest

The 3 Way links system for your adsense websites, as you might know, your adsense profit is up to the amount of daily traffic and how targeted it is. Use business cards, newspapers and local publications. Attend relevant industry events to share your blog with likeminded individuals.
  17. lejla

lejla New Member

I never heard about this but I am wondering can we not accomplish more by putting out some quality articles that would link to our site?
  18. edesigner008

edesigner008 New Member

Honestly speaking I have never done three way backlinking. But I liked the diagram showing three way backlinking. Thanks Samuel for showing this.
    I want to know which one is most beneficial for SEO:
    one-way, two-way or three-way backlinking?
  19. jamess

jamess Member

After penguin updates one should be very careful when doing 3 way link exchange..