Vista or Windows XP??

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by mountainmom5, Feb 28, 2009.

1. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Are you all using Vista or XP for your computers??

I am looking at getting a new laptop - only to discover that Microsoft no longer makes XP... However I can get XP installed for additional cost so was wondering if anyone has any pros and cons with Vista versus XP.

Especially for internet marketing, web building etc... have you had any problems with Vista??

2. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Mountain,

Vista Home Premium has been working fine for me without any issues whatsoever since last summer.

Just make sure you check out compatibility issues for what ever software you have or plan on getting.

Glad you're getting a new computer. Be sure to get tons of ram, especially if you go the Vista route. I suggest at least two gigs minimum but get three or four if you can. Ram is one of the least expensive ways to improve performance.

Have fun,

~Newbie Shield~
  3. samda

samda Member

well, I use XP and it sounds good. I don't use Vista. I never used and it is hard for me to switch from XP.

XP satisfies all my needs.

mountainmom5: Especially for internet marketing, web building etc... have you had any problems with Vista??

I met no problem with XP for internet marketing. I use Firefox for browsing and doing all other stuffs and I use MS frontpage for website building...

4. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Thanks NS - that gives me more confidence. I have used XP for so long and change and me get along about like cats and dogs so we will take yet another bull by the horns... I AM excited though to be getting a new one as I have four kids that I am sharing my PC with right now, and I get tired of chasing them off.[​IMG]
  5. Sonni

Sonni New Member

I'm on XP right now and don't even want to think about switching to Vista or anything else. But my PC is old and it's not even mine lol.

However, it seems like mine since I'm the only one who uses it and I'm on it too many hours to count. IM is time consuming.
  6. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

I use Vista Home Premium - no problems since December 2007. I use it every day, hours at a time and it has been responsive and stable. My applications run smoothly and are available much more quickly.

I appreciate...

- the impoved security features
    - the multiple ways available to perform the same action
    - the ease with which a wireless network can be set up
    - the ease with which files can be transferred from an old computer
    - the ability to organize photos and music
    - the system-wide search capability
    - the system restore feature
    - the thumbnail images that show on the task bar of open documents (in addition to their names)
    - the document preview feature which lets you see what's in a document without having to open it first
    - and so much more

Plus, it has an overall modern look with translucent window edges, menus that fade away when closed, and subtle shadows around dialog boxes and windows. It's pretty cool.

I did have to adjust to the new navigation, but now I've got that under my belt, locating my files and programs is a breeze. I simply enjoy using this product.

7. WealthyWAHM

WealthyWAHM Member

I have XP on my desktop and Vista on my laptop... I still sort of favor XP. :p

Vista came pre-installed on my laptop and it seems to freeze up my screen from time to time- something that never happens to me with XP- but at this point, that's my only complaint.
  8. Singapoor

Singapoor New Member

Though I've been using Vista for ages now, I'm a bigger fan of XP (well, XP Professional). With that said though, it's worth getting used to using Vista because Windows 7 is on it's way and Windows 7 is basically a better Vista.

There's a lot about Vista that may take some getting used to - they completely changed the way Microsoft Office works (there's a "Ribbon" that you're gonna have to get used to using), for instance. Granted, things may not be intuitive at first (I think that's an understatement actually) and that's been discouraging for some. BUT, I still think it's worth it for you to go ahead and make the jump.

By the way, Hermas - I have to disagree on the search thing. I find "Ava Find" lacking in one specific way that I had gotten used to with XP - being able to search the contents of a document. or, better said, being able to use the fact that you know that you were writing about "blue polka dots" in one document, using that as a search, and being able to find the file. I've read online "Enable the indexing feature, that should help." No, it doesn't. Still though, can't really complain about Vista.
  9. Seth

Seth New Member

I've tried VISTA but it consumes a lot of computer mem etc. and it's not that stable as XP PRO plus there certain softwares that are not compatible with Vista.
  10. daellis99

daellis99 New Member

Well I am not really into Windows anymore. I troubleshoot on them everyday and I have seen too many problems with Vista and XP. I have switched to a MAC and I love it. I do have Vista on my wife's laptop but I don't like it. I am looking forward to windows 7 though!
  11. samda

samda Member

I use XP.

I am not able to adopt to vista... I do hate it for some reasons...

12. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

I just bought a new computer with Vista. Had it a week. My 17 old daughter swears by it, but she 30 years my junior and adapts to change much better than I. So far though, I have been just fine with it, but then I am not a computer guru either.
  13. cashpaidsurveys

cashpaidsurveys New Member

I just downloaded the RC1 (version 7100) of windows 7 - it rocks! I like vista, but this beast is fast! Not as fast as XP, but my computer feels more responsive on Win 7.
  14. jay284

jay284 New Member

I would recommend getting a Mac...

You can LEGALLY install Windows on a Mac (using bootcamp, which comes default with every mac) and have both Operating Systems at your mercy.

If you are going to pay the extra money to get XP Installed, you might as well get a Mac and have XP installed on the second partition.

That is my setup, and I couldn't be happier.

just my 2 cents [​IMG]
  15. Singapoor

Singapoor New Member

jay284: You can LEGALLY install Windows on a Mac (using bootcamp, which comes default with every mac) and have both Operating Systems at your mercy.

If you are going to pay the extra money to get XP Installed, you might as well get a Mac and have XP installed on the second partition.
    That's a good note. But the thing about Macs are, if you are in the market to buy a cheap machine that'll do the job, Mac isn't the way to go. First of all, Macs are investments. Secondly, with all of the restructuring they've been doing with their software recently, you could end up needing (as in, no choice in the matter) to upgrade software much sooner than you would were you running a normal PC. Also, they're getting more and more proprietary as the days go by. What if a person doesn't want to give in to the whole mobileme thing? Opting out of that cripples the usability of certain services. That's a bit fascist in my opinion.
  16. redsadie

redsadie New Member

I bought a new laptop just over 2 months ago and it had the 60 day trial version of Vista pre-installed. I really like the Vista program but I don't find it much different to XP for what I use it for in all honesty.

My problem is that now my trial is over, I have to pay to get Vista for real and I discovered last night when I went to use Word, that it doesn't function at all!! I can't do a damn thing with it and I use Word and Publisher A LOT!

I'm going to start a fresh thread to see if anyone knows what I can do with my laptop now because as far as I'm concerned it's pretty much useless to me now. Ok I can get the internet but I need it for more than this.

I hope you manage to make your choice hun. Just my 2c [​IMG]
  17. Singapoor

Singapoor New Member

Hi Sarah,

I'd download and install the OpenOffice software bundle as a temporary (or maybe long term... depending on preference) solution. It's an offering that can be looked at as the free alternative to Microsoft Office. Basically, the well-known and trusted Sun Microsystems developed it, and (from personal experience), it can be used in for all the stuff that you use Microsoft Office for. I've not compared it to the most recent Microsoft Office, but it's really a good package in itself. Check it out:
  18. redsadie

redsadie New Member

Thanks Singapoor [​IMG]

I'll check that out in more detail when I get home later. Just from scanning it it looks good, but do you know if the documents I have already will be ok? I mean, I won't lose any of it will I?

Thanks again for coming to my rescue [​IMG]

R. x
  19. Singapoor

Singapoor New Member

They'll work just fine. again, it's been pre the new word that I've used OpenOffice but I am aware that it handles .doc files with no problem. The question then becomes whether its the same with .docx files. I trust that they would, since they've had enough time to adapt to the new file format. And even if they haven't yet (which would be surprising), it is very easy to convert .docx file to .doc. Let me know if that becomes a need for you and I'll look up a free tool to do so easily.
  20. johnjimat

johnjimat New Member

XP is more easy because i have use it since i'm in high school. vista is new to me. my father use vista in his laptop, i find its hard to use.. just for me.. [​IMG]