warning scam alert!!!

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by weebitty, Mar 9, 2010.

1. weebitty

weebitty Member

There was a newscast on our local tv station about stores online. It would seem they send out invitations and offer free dinners and prizes for attending. There have been over 800 complaints all over the nation. Please click on this website to look at the actual video and news article
    http://kdrv.com/news/local/165294

Hope this helps some one from being scammed [​IMG]

2. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Hi Leslie,

Thanks for posting this scam alert. I'm sure some unsuspecting person will be grateful that you did.

The fact that StoresOnline can perpetrate such a dubious scheme is proof that there are thousands of people turning to the Internet looking for ways to improve their financial condition.

Unfortunately, many of these people believe (or are led to believe) that their situations can be magically turned around overnight if they throw large sums of money at the right opportunity.

Sadly, it's these kinds of misleading promotions that make it a bit more challenging for the honest marketer to attract prospects.

Hermas

3. Thanks for posting this information.

Anything that helps people avoid scams is good.

4. weebitty

weebitty Member

Yes that is so true. There are some honest companys and people out there i am sure but to find them is the challenge. You don't know who to trust anymore[​IMG] and the honest ones suffer because of it. [​IMG]

5. residualcash

residualcash New Member

Always good when someone makes a scam alert that really has substance to support it and not just someone personal feelings.

Thanks for sharing.

6. weebitty

weebitty Member

I can't contribute very much but I would have to say that putting out personal feeling has its place. Depending on what they are. That is why people come here and ask questions. Technically I don't know a whole lot and the internet is fairly new to me with all the programs and businesses out there. I have been in alot of businesses over the years but alot of them were before the internet. I believe that kids born nowadays are hard wired into this stuff and that is why it is so easy for them. Just my humble opinion though. [​IMG] It is terrible when you have to go to your child to have them help you with the computer!! LOL

7. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

My friends got sucked into that.... they did learn a lot but aren't making much money and they have paid out THOUSANDS!! Last I talked with them they had quit doing it.

It's a scam all right.

8. weebitty

weebitty Member

I am sorry to hear that alot of people are losing money on this and that is why I posted it. Maybe you can send them the link because I think there was one fellow that sued through the AG and got some of his money back. He lives in Oregon.

9. onera

onera New Member

Most of the scams work like this
    1. They will sell you a website filled with Amazon, ebay etc. affiliate products.
    2. They will buy pressure you to buy their traffic for a hefty price.
    3. Ultimately, you may sell one or two products for $5 commission but by that time you may have spent couple of thousands.

The best bet against these type of scams is educating yourself.

Don't get excited about any sales pitch.

Internet marketers learn it in Marketing 101. Make your prospect excited, give lots of proofs (most of them may be fake - buddies scratching each others backs) and throw some useless bonuses.

10. weebitty

weebitty Member

Yes I have been to a few of those meetings. I think they hire someone that does that for a living to get it off the ground. Like a motivational speaker or something. Because it sure seems to work on alot of people. You have those rah rah meeting in any business though. That keeps sales up. That is why we preach so much in here if you don't love what you are doing you won't do very well. (I am referencing a product to sell) but it has to be true for any business.